Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where do I start?

Where do I start?

Old Mar 17th 2007, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Jamieharrop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where do I start?

Well folks, this is my first post, and I'm hoping it will mark the start of my move to Australia in search of a healthier, more laid back lifestyle.

A little background about me, before I go knee deep in questions. I'm 19, living in West Yorkshire. I left school just before completing my A levels so I could work from home for myself. I'm an entrepreneur at heart, having formed a Web site development company in 2004 and managed it since then with two business partners. I absolutely love travelling, and I've always said that eventually there will come a time when I move out of the UK. Just where I wanted to move, I wasn't sure. Canada, US, Australia, The Arctic ( ) they were all possibilities. In the end, I think I have decided that my personal lifestyle has to come before my business (We only live once, and I'm not the type of guy to get tied down in wage slips and paper just because I have to!). With that in mind, Australia is up there at the top of that list.

Now, if (when!) I move, I'd have to enter the world of the employee (Argh. I said I would never work for anybody in my life other than myself, but I guess there's no way around it with a move like this). At such a young age and having grown up in semi-urban West Yorkshire, I'd like to experience the urban, fast paced life of the city. If I can tie in a little beach lifestyle with that, all the better.

However, in all honesty, I'm not sure where to start. The Web site development jobs that would suit me are certainly avaliable in the likes of Sydney, and pay between $60k-$90k AUD. I'm not sure whether this is enough to lead a comfortable lifestyle in the centre of Sydney. I'd assume there are plenty avaliable in other Australian cities too, although I imagine the pay would be less, as would real estate and living costs.

Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to go to Australia, so I'm not at all familar with the specifics of the major cities. As I touched on above, I'd love to enjoy the beach lifestyle, while at the same time being able to live in the centre or close to the centre of the city. What cities would allow for this?

I suppose the most important question is, where do I start? What is the absolute first step in making this decision? Is the first step to apply for a visa? If so, who do I need to speak to? How hard is it to attain an Australian living visa?

I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself here, but I'd like to see answers if only to put my own mind at ease. For those that don't have friends or family in Australia, how did you go about living for those first few weeks or months? Did you arrange for accomodation before you left the UK? Did you already have a job secured before you left?

So many questions, and I'm sure there will be so many different answers to the same question, but any help or advice you could give would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jamie

Last edited by Jamieharrop; Mar 17th 2007 at 5:01 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where do I start?

Originally Posted by Jamieharrop
Well folks, this is my first post, and I'm hoping it will mark the start of my move to Australia in search of a healthier, more laid back lifestyle.

A little background about me, before I go knee deep in questions. I'm 19, living in West Yorkshire. I left school just before completing my A levels so I could work from home for myself. I'm an entrepreneur at heart, having formed a Web site development company in 2004 and managed it since then with two business partners. I absolutely love travelling, and I've always said that eventually there will come a time when I move out of the UK. Just where I wanted to move, I wasn't sure. Canada, US, Australia, The Arctic ( ) they were all possibilities. In the end, I think I have decided that my personal lifestyle has to come before my business (We only live once, and I'm not the type of guy to get tied down in wage slips and paper just because I have to!). With that in mind, Australia is up there at the top of that list.

Now, if (when!) I move, I'd have to enter the world of the employee (Argh. I said I would never work for anybody in my life other than myself, but I guess there's no way around it with a move like this). At such a young age and having grown up in semi-urban West Yorkshire, I'd like to experience the urban, fast paced life of the city. If I can tie in a little beach lifestyle with that, all the better.

However, in all honesty, I'm not sure where to start. The Web site development jobs that would suit me are certainly avaliable in the likes of Sydney, and pay between $60k-$90k AUD. I'm not sure whether this is enough to lead a comfortable lifestyle in the centre of Sydney. I'd assume there are plenty avaliable in other Australian cities too, although I imagine the pay would be less, as would real estate and living costs.

Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to go to Australia, so I'm not at all familar with the specifics of the major cities. As I touched on above, I'd love to enjoy the beach lifestyle, while at the same time being able to live in the centre or close to the centre of the city. What cities would allow for this?

I suppose the most important question is, where do I start? What is the absolute first step in making this decision? Is the first step to apply for a visa? If so, who do I need to speak to? How hard is it to attain an Australian living visa?

I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself here, but I'd like to see answers if only to put my own mind at ease. For those that don't have friends or family in Australia, how did you go about living for those first few weeks or months? Did you arrange for accomodation before you left the UK? Did you already have a job secured before you left?

So many questions, and I'm sure there will be so many different answers to the same question, but any help or advice you could give would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jamie
read this:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf
Old Mar 17th 2007, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Thanks for the quick reply, ianandhelena.

That document will keep me entertained for a while, I'm sure. Thanks.

Any more advice would be great!
Old Mar 17th 2007, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply, ianandhelena.

I'm sure that document will keep me entertained for a while.

If anybody has any more advice, I'd love to hear it.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 5:19 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

If you decide to use an agent this has to be the guy for you www.ianharrop.co.uk based in Oxford. Tel number 01993824111 Good Luck. C x
Old Mar 17th 2007, 5:39 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the most important question is, where do I start?
Thanks in advance!

Jamie
right here mate

http://ptlabs.topcities.com/faq0.html#rrv001
Old Mar 17th 2007, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance!

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Welcome to BE!

You will prbably find the answers to a lot of your questions by doing searches on these forums, reading the DIAC website as mentioned before on www.immi.gov.au will tell you a lot about the visa situation, and there is a ton of other info out there - from reading your post you must be quite web savy so I'm sure you will be able to track down a lot of it!

Your comments on location are very astute - you will most likely earn more in Sydney, but as you say the cost of living in terms of housing etc will be higher. Have a look on a few of the job search websites, or if you are fibnding they are not specific enough you could take a look at the Australian Graphic Design Association website at www.agda.com.au as well as the housing websites such as www.domain.com.au and www.realestate.com.au and you will be able to see the comparison for yourself. You should also think about what sort of lifestyle you are hoping to achieve as different cities will offer you different things.

Good luck!
Suzi