Passport Expiry

Old Mar 14th 2007, 10:24 pm
ian&juliette

grij is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Passport Expiry

Hi,

We are due to move in July this year.

I have a UK passport with my spouse visa (activated) in it - which is due to expire in April 2008.

I have read that you should have a min of 2 years left on your passport before emigrating.

My question is: if I obtain a new 10 year UK passport, what will happen to the spouse visa in my old one - will I have to get this transferred? and if so how do I go about it?

Thanks
Ian
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:14 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Passport Expiry

Originally Posted by grij
Hi,

I have a UK passport with my spouse visa (activated) in it - which is due to expire in April 2008.

I have read that you should have a min of 2 years left on your passport before emigrating.

My question is: if I obtain a new 10 year UK passport, what will happen to the spouse visa in my old one - will I have to get this transferred? and if so how do I go about it?

Thanks
Ian
you dont need to have 2 years on your passport...my son didnt.....when u do renew it all you do is carry the old passport containing the visa with you when u travel
Old Mar 14th 2007, 11:17 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

The visa validity is not affected by passport expiry, although you should ask the AHC London to re-stamp it in the new passport. This will avoid risk of delays at check-in.

Incidentally, you will need to get a Resident Return Visa before April 2008. Do that once you have settled in Australia. You should be ok without 2 years residence as (based on your other thread) you will have an Australian spouse and dependent child, which constitute "substantial ties" to Australia. LIVING in Australia also helps (a lot) with concessional RRVs.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
Ian
You can just go down to the local immigration office here and they will put a visa sticker in the new passport. I did it when I got a new passport in my married name. Saves taking 2 passports everywhere.

Jo
Old Mar 15th 2007, 3:58 am
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Incidentally, you will need to get a Resident Return Visa before April 2008. Do that once you have settled in Australia.
Jeremy,

It's not clear from the OP's post whether the visa is expiring in 4/2008 or the passport is expiring in 4/2008.

If the visa is expiring, and if the OP is holding a subclass 100 permanent visa, then an RRV is in order. If the OP is holding a subclass 309 provisional visa, then an RRV is out of the question. (I'm assuming OP applied offshore)

If the passport is expiring, a new passport with the visa label re-issued into the new passport would suffice for the moment.

Peter
Old Mar 17th 2007, 7:27 pm
ian&juliette

grij is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
The visa validity is not affected by passport expiry, although you should ask the AHC London to re-stamp it in the new passport. This will avoid risk of delays at check-in.

Incidentally, you will need to get a Resident Return Visa before April 2008. Do that once you have settled in Australia. You should be ok without 2 years residence as (based on your other thread) you will have an Australian spouse and dependent child, which constitute "substantial ties" to Australia. LIVING in Australia also helps (a lot) with concessional RRVs.
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf
Thanks to everyone for their replies

I think from the sounds of it I may as well get a new passport and ask the AHC to transfer the visa across.

Many thanks
Ian