Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where did you stay??

Where did you stay??

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 2:10 pm
td1
Forum Regular

td1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud of
Default Where did you stay??

Just wondering where people stayed when they first arrived in Melbourne?? Did you like it and was it in a handy location?

I am going to be staying in a hotel for the 1st day or 2 but then thought about staying somewhere else for 2-4 weeks while sorting out more permanent accommodation.

I have read in the past people have stayed in caravan parks, holiday parks etc and wondered if anyone had any views on these or recommendations
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 4:13 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where did you stay??

Originally Posted by td1
Just wondering where people stayed when they first arrived in Melbourne?? Did you like it and was it in a handy location?

I am going to be staying in a hotel for the 1st day or 2 but then thought about staying somewhere else for 2-4 weeks while sorting out more permanent accommodation.

I have read in the past people have stayed in caravan parks, holiday parks etc and wondered if anyone had any views on these or recommendations
If you are looking to stay in the centre of Melbourne, I stayed here :

The Richmond Lodge

Maybe not the cheapest, but if you stayed here for a week or two, it will the chance to find something permanent. It's also possible that you can get a reduced rate late season, or longer periods.

clean, tidy, quiet & broadband internet for BE !!

The owner is a mine of (sometimes useless) info on Melbourne and surroundings.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:22 pm
td1
Forum Regular

td1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud oftd1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by furkew
If you are looking to stay in the centre of Melbourne, I stayed here :

The Richmond Lodge

Maybe not the cheapest, but if you stayed here for a week or two, it will the chance to find something permanent. It's also possible that you can get a reduced rate late season, or longer periods.

clean, tidy, quiet & broadband internet for BE !!

The owner is a mine of (sometimes useless) info on Melbourne and surroundings.

Thanks for that. Had a look at the website and will fill in the form to see what they are like for availability and price.

Dont mind staying a wee bit further afield either so not restricted just to Melbourne.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 9:21 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by td1

We are staying first 4 nights in Langhams on the Southbank then moving out to Quest short term apartments.

Tried to get wife to think about something cheaper (caravan park) but got such a dark look have changed tact.

Keen to spend as little as possible time in short term apartments though because it is not cheap at £85 per night.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 9:33 pm
lor
BE Forum Addict

lor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond reputelor has a reputation beyond repute

Keen to spend as little as possible time in short term apartments though because it is not cheap at £85 per night.[/QUOTE]

:scared: Sorry i have tyred to get you a link for a list of caravan parks,that i saved from BE a few months ago .But the bloody page is no longer available so hopefully someone else can remember the post and help you out.
(please as now i don't know where we're going )
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 9:36 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lor
Keen to spend as little as possible time in short term apartments though because it is not cheap at £85 per night.
:scared: Sorry i have tyred to get you a link for a list of caravan parks,that i saved from BE a few months ago .But the bloody page is no longer available so hopefully someone else can remember the post and help you out.
(please as now i don't know where we're going )[/QUOTE]
Thanks but there dont seem to be many caravan parks or hostels in Malvern.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 7:46 am
td1
Forum Regular

Have read a few people saying that they stayed at quest and that they were ok.

Will probably have to opt for something like that cos hubby looks worried when I mention caravan parks and keeps jokingly saying we will be "trailer trash".

Think he has been watching too many Jerry Springer shows!!!!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 7:52 am
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by td1
Have read a few people saying that they stayed at quest and that they were ok.

Will probably have to opt for something like that cos hubby looks worried when I mention caravan parks and keeps jokingly saying we will be "trailer trash".

Think he has been watching too many Jerry Springer shows!!!!
When we left the UK in 1973 we lived in a huge caravan parked outside my grans house. OMG I'm trailer trash too

Lucky no one could see - the house was sent on 15000 acres.

Arhh packers are here and I cant find my car keys or ph - daughter may of been playing with them - who knows where she may of packed them OMG Stress!!!!! :scared:
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

thribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond reputethribble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thebears
When we left the UK in 1973 we lived in a huge caravan parked outside my grans house. OMG I'm trailer trash too

We stayed on various caravan parks when travelling and they were really nice and very cheap. Not sure where they are around Melbourne, but Big4 were the ones we ended up staying in generally.

We stayed at the Melbourne Oasis YHA, in North Melbourne. It's cheaper than their "metro" YHA, and only about 10 minutes walk further out. The trams are every 10 minutes or so from the end of the road into the centre, or it's about a 45 minute walk. I can't remember the rates, but they'll be available from the YHA website. If you join it's cheaper, and you get discounts to many things around town - restaurants, the zoo, etc.

Not that I'm plugging the YHA, but they were really good there, very helpful.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 9:16 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by td1

We stayed in a caravan park it was fine ,good for kids too as it had a pool can be expensive but if you are coming over in winter you maybe able to organize a discount for long term as thats what we did as we didnt want to be locked into a rental agreement and wanted our own place straight away .
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 9:22 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Arhh packers are here and I cant find my car keys or ph - daughter may of been playing with them - who knows where she may of packed them OMG Stress!!!!! :scared:
my beloved and i lived on a building site witha load of irish from donegal when we was building tescos in ferndown dorset and our eldest was a month old it was agreat craic and amemorable 6 months and got us going on the road to home ownership and those irish lads where sure a good craic ,got a bit cheessed off with boiled spuds and ham though ,but ill never forget the irish boys and they where real good to me considering i was the only english b-----d amonst them .
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 10:18 am
td1
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sassenach
We stayed in a caravan park it was fine ,good for kids too as it had a pool can be expensive but if you are coming over in winter you maybe able to organize a discount for long term as thats what we did as we didnt want to be locked into a rental agreement and wanted our own place straight away .
I have got a son so thats why I was thinking a caravan park for a couple of weeks so that he hopefully had something that could keep him occupied and he could maybe play with some other kids.

Will keep looking and keep all my options open.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 10:21 am
td1
Forum Regular

Sounds like it is fun at your house.

We havent even got the visa through yet and I feel stressed. Was up twice during the night to look to see if we had had got "that e-mail" yet saying we had our visa. Think I am goin to crack up soon