Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where in Brisbane?

Where in Brisbane?

Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Brisbane?

Originally Posted by bcworld
I remember that night 2 nights after the storm. It was very strange, the rain was intense and all the doors in the house were kind of sucked closed - hard to describe what I mean really, but it seemed to be something to do with the air pressure.
Yep, I know what you mean, all to do with the sudden intense low pressure that moved across. One reason why windows blow in during a cyclone, thats all to do with the low pressure as well. A night that a lot of people will never forget!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:10 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, I know what you mean, all to do with the sudden intense low pressure that moved across. One reason why windows blow in during a cyclone, thats all to do with the low pressure as well. A night that a lot of people will never forget!
And, for the benefit of some reading this, how often does this happen in Brisbane ?

Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
And, for the benefit of some reading this, how often does this happen in Brisbane ?
What? A microburst, severe storm, intense heavy rain? They all happen from time to time, look at Caboolture last night, 76mm in an hour. I think Dad Again's post above is the best guide -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...13&postcount=8
Old Nov 19th 2010, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

I played golf in The Gap this afternoon and it was quite pleasant. It was a bit soggy after yesterday's rain though.
Old Nov 19th 2010, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice

Thanks for the info folks. I think I'm suffering from a typical Brit syndrome, that of lack of distance judgement.
I live near Portsmouth / Southampton and for business think nothing of popping up to Birmingham or Manchester.
Looking on a map of Brisbane in particular for some reason, what looks like a 20 minutes drive is more like 45. or is itjust me ??
Old Nov 19th 2010, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MUST LEAVE UK
Thanks for the info folks. I think I'm suffering from a typical Brit syndrome, that of lack of distance judgement.
I live near Portsmouth / Southampton and for business think nothing of popping up to Birmingham or Manchester.
Looking on a map of Brisbane in particular for some reason, what looks like a 20 minutes drive is more like 45. or is itjust me ??
Give an example and maybe we can confirm times?
Old Nov 19th 2010, 10:57 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MUST LEAVE UK
This trip done daily (going to work), actually takes about 45-50 minutes, but with a calculated time of 34 minutes:

This trip done recently on a Saturday morning, took just over 30 minutes, but with a calculated time of 44 minutes:

This trip done by someone recently, took way too long... I think they said about 1 hour, but with a normal calculated time of 3 minutes.

This trip funnily enough took about the same time as it was calculated at, just under 3 hours.

These are our personal actual examples. Others will have different journeys and different experiences.

Old Nov 27th 2010, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

Phew! Must get a faster car... My daily trip from Carindale to city (western suburbs, albeit along Coro drive) takes about half an hour. This is at 7 a.m. but would take longer if later... much faster at weekends tho!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 1:34 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
Phew! Must get a faster car... My daily trip from Carindale to city (western suburbs, albeit along Coro drive) takes about half an hour. This is at 7 a.m. but would take longer if later... much faster at weekends tho!
Indeed

Some of the travel times quoted on here need to be taken with a big pinch of salt.

It often takes me around 40 minutes to drive from Redlands to Carindale......then add on the worst part of the trip (Carindale to the city) and you can see that a trip time of 45 minutes from Bayside is wildly optimistic......never mind if there is congestion on Old Cleveland road
Old Nov 27th 2010, 2:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
Indeed

Some of the travel times quoted on here need to be taken with a big pinch of salt.

It often takes me around 40 minutes to drive from Redlands to Carindale......then add on the worst part of the trip (Carindale to the city) and you can see that a trip time of 45 minutes from Bayside is wildly optimistic......never mind if there is congestion on Old Cleveland road
What route do you take ? and what do you drive ? (I assumed the person who mentioned you drive a wheelchair was joking)

I do Victoria Point to Carindale almost every Thursday, and it rarely takes over 30 minutes, sometimes only 25 minutes.

But then, your driving history isn't too good by the looks of it
Took me over an hour to drive 10 miles on the gateway recently.
My wife was stuck on Coronation drive for over half an hour yesterday.

Old Nov 27th 2010, 2:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
This may come down to what is classed as the City by each person.
How long does it take to cross the City ?

Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:06 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I do Victoria Point to Carindale almost every Thursday, and it rarely takes over 30 minutes, sometimes only 25 minutes.
What time of day?

I have tried several different routes and they are much the same.

Why don't you tell us the route that will get you from VP to the city in 45 minutes during the times of day most people travel to work?

You tend to be very selective about the details you give.....I am still waiting for the name of your butcher who does such great bargains.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:06 am
Bitter and twisted

What do you call the city?
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:26 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

'The City' is about 36km NW of you!
Old Nov 27th 2010, 3:33 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by bcworld
'The City' is about 36km NW of you!

It seems it depends on which part of the city you mean

Some variables are 'flexible' in ABC's world

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.