Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where in Brisbane?

Where in Brisbane?

Old Nov 15th 2010, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice
Default Where in Brisbane?

Ok so I'm well up on Melbourne and could have bought somewhrere in Mount Martha by now.
But the wife still wants us to cover Brisbane as an options (for the weather and slightly higher wages in my metal working sector)
I'm just finding it hard to tie down an area
Melbourne is easy, but I'm strugling to tie down an area for us near the manufacturing areas, in the south in particlar.
We liked the look of the gap for a non coast option, but it looks to far our for the south industry.
Any ideas folks ?
We do like coatal living, but only want to drive 30-40 mins each way to a meral working job
Old Nov 16th 2010, 2:00 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in Brisbane?

30-40 minutes drive will get you just about anywhere in the Brisbane metro area. We live at Wavell Heights, about 10km north of the CBD, and my wife works in Mt Gravatt (about the same south) and the journey takes her just under 30 minutes.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 2:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
30-40 minutes drive will get you just about anywhere in the Brisbane metro area.
Depending on traffic.

Took me over an hour to drive 10 miles on the gateway recently.

My wife was stuck on Coronation drive for over half an hour yesterday.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really niceNix and Mike is just really nice

I'd say west and north are the best living in Brisbane - just my opinion. Others love the south, but it is not for me.....
If you have a family, west or north is better again.....

Good Luck!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:14 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Depending on traffic.

Im surprised it took you an hour what with yer 200kph wheelchair
Old Nov 18th 2010, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

The Gap gets bad storms? It is very pretty though.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree the west and north west are the best. Still lots of other areas that are nice as well though.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 2:07 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve2009
The Gap has had a couple of notable storm events in recent years - but I dont think theres anything much to suggest it more prone to storms than anywhere else in SEQ.

The reality is ANYWHERE in Brisbane could be hit by a bad storm in summer and no one can predict which suburbs are more likely to have trouble than others.

The reason The Gap was so badly effected in the large "Nov '08" storm was that its an area with lots of trees - so the freak storm (and it was freaky) did fling LOTS of wood around causing more damage than you might see in a suburb without any trees - but seriously who wants to live in a suburb without any trees? - And the fact that that storm cleared a lot of dodgy trees out means it'd take something really special to cause that kind of havok in The Gap again - whereas other areas not hit by that storm system might still have potentialy unsafe trees still waiting for a decent bit of wind to unsettle them.

Lots of storms in Brisbane ae accompanied by huge deluges of rain and existing creeks are known to flood - particularly where their course has been 'managed' for construction. If you're considering moving into and area its a good idea to check the flood history and see how far you are from creeks. Low lying parts of Wooloongabba, Bowen Hills, Kedron etc etc seem to be forever in the news being inundated with floodwater - you dont want that grief!!!
Old Nov 18th 2010, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

The below is very true and the OH's dad has intimate knowledge of the issue having had decades of experience in the council and valuable contacts for keeping abreast of developments. It hasn't been as much of an issue for us as we currently rent but nonetheless it's something we do check out in detail before signing anything.
Originally Posted by DadAgain
Lots of storms in Brisbane ae accompanied by huge deluges of rain and existing creeks are known to flood - particularly where their course has been 'managed' for construction. If you're considering moving into and area its a good idea to check the flood history and see how far you are from creeks. Low lying parts of Wooloongabba, Bowen Hills, Kedron etc etc seem to be forever in the news being inundated with floodwater - you dont want that grief!!!
I just realised the OP is still in the UK and contemplating buying in Aus. This could prove a very costly mistake. What if you decide after 18 months that you want to move on?
Old Nov 18th 2010, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

To get a flood map of a whole suburb:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/commu...-map/index.htm

To get an individual flood level report for one property:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/commu...port/index.htm
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
http://reg.bom.gov.au/qld/cyclone/th...20081116.shtml

and

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...20081116.shtml
Old Nov 18th 2010, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Depending on traffic.

I wondered who it was.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:40 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Another beautiful summers day in Brisbane!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skrnDGl1LxQ
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Another beautiful summers day in Brisbane!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skrnDGl1LxQ
That was one frantic week at work, I know that. Not just the Gap microburst on the Sunday but then the heavy rain a few nights later with the flooding of the ICB etc....can do without working at that pace too often, although there is something satisfying about ringing your boss and telling him to get out of bed and come into work at 2am
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:52 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That was one frantic week at work, I know that. Not just the Gap microburst on the Sunday but then the heavy rain a few nights later with the flooding of the ICB etc....can do without working at that pace too often, although there is something satisfying about ringing your boss and telling him to get out of bed and come into work at 2am
I remember that night 2 nights after the storm. It was very strange, the rain was intense and all the doors in the house were kind of sucked closed - hard to describe what I mean really, but it seemed to be something to do with the air pressure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.