Reload this Page >

where in australia

where in australia

Old May 1st 2006, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

kevinkeerie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where in australia

Hi,

I'm a 25 year old Joiner (carpenter) from Scotland, U.K.
I'm looking to relocate my family to Australia and was wondering where abouts you guys reccomend....

I'm thinking queensland area looks nice (i'm into scuba diving)

However obviously I want to go where the most work is for my trade, since I have 2 small children I'm wanting somewhere safe for them to play, also we have limited funds (£20,000) and would like to rent somewhere with looking at buying a property within 6 months of arriving.

Am I able to apply for a mortgage over there with a 136 visa? or do i have to wait until i have full citizenship.

One of the kids is 3 so I would be looking for a decent schooling area.

Can anyone reccomend me to any employers or employment agencies to forward my CV?

Any advice on wether to ship my furniture accross or is it cheaper to sell then purchase new when moved?

Finally wot's the average price of a family car (second hand)

Sorry for all the questions but "you don't get if you don't ask".
Old May 1st 2006, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where in australia

Originally Posted by kevinkeerie
Hi,

I'm a 25 year old Joiner (carpenter) from Scotland, U.K.
I'm looking to relocate my family to Australia and was wondering where abouts you guys reccomend....

I'm thinking queensland area looks nice (i'm into scuba diving)
Can't really answer that, it's all about personal preference. Here's a good website to start your research though http://www.livingin-australia.com/
However obviously I want to go where the most work is for my trade, since I have 2 small children I'm wanting somewhere safe for them to play, also we have limited funds (£20,000) and would like to rent somewhere with looking at buying a property within 6 months of arriving.

Am I able to apply for a mortgage over there with a 136 visa? or do i have to wait until i have full citizenship.
One of the kids is 3 so I would be looking for a decent schooling area.
No you can buy when you want. It's been said they'll give you a mortgage after you get about three months worth of wages.

Can anyone reccomend me to any employers or employment agencies to forward my CV?
You will need to get a licence to work in whatever state you choose to live in. This involves going through the TRA again when you get there. lots of people don't realise this until they are over half way through the process, so thought I'd point it out. When you get references etc for the TRA make sure you get some for this too.

www.seek.com.au is a good place to start to get an idea of where the jobs are etc. You can also put your CV on here.
Any advice on wether to ship my furniture accross or is it cheaper to sell then purchase new when moved?
We're not but most people do. If you've got expensive furniture then take it, if like me, you're stuffs old and knackered then leave it all here.
Finally wot's the average price of a family car (second hand)
No idea

Sorry for all the questions but "you don't get if you don't ask".
No problem
Old May 1st 2006, 9:20 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WendyC
Can't really answer that, it's all about personal preference. Here's a good website to start your research though http://www.livingin-australia.com/
No you can buy when you want. It's been said they'll give you a mortgage after you get about three months worth of wages.

You will need to get a licence to work in whatever state you choose to live in. This involves going through the TRA again when you get there. lots of people don't realise this until they are over half way through the process, so thought I'd point it out. When you get references etc for the TRA make sure you get some for this too.

www.seek.com.au is a good place to start to get an idea of where the jobs are etc. You can also put your CV on here.
We're not but most people do. If you've got expensive furniture then take it, if like me, you're stuffs old and knackered then leave it all here.
No idea

No problem

My god Wendy..........well done
Old May 1st 2006, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
My god Wendy..........well done

What ??
Old May 1st 2006, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WendyC
You will need to get a licence to work in whatever state you choose to live in. This involves going through the TRA again when you get there. lots of people don't realise this until they are over half way through the process, so thought I'd point it out.

I didnt think you did as a Carpenter? I know you do as an Electrician, Plumber and a Builder. Its not ALL trades you need to go through that for over here. I know a Brickie who didnt and also Hubby is a mechanic and he didnt.

I think its a good idea to point out they MIGHT need to, but I think they should check it out for their specific trade.
Old May 1st 2006, 9:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hels
I didnt think you did as a Carpenter? I know you do as an Electrician, Plumber and a Builder. Its not ALL trades you need to go through that for over here. I know a Brickie who didnt and also Hubby is a mechanic and he didnt.

I think its a good idea to point out they MIGHT need to, but I think they should check it out for their specific trade.
It varies from state to state, I think (like most things)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333327
Old May 1st 2006, 9:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Hels

Your right, I wonder if my hubby can do carpentry??

I'll put the link up for those that want it http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplac...nsAssessed.htm
Old May 1st 2006, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It varies from state to state, I think (like most things)

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333327
Now I'm confused (it's not hard )