Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

where abouts is Erkinsville in Sydney?

where abouts is Erkinsville in Sydney?

Old Aug 24th 2004, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road
Default where abouts is Erkinsville in Sydney?

Hi,
can anyone tell me where abouts Erskinville is in Sydney. My spelling may be wrong. Is it anywhere near the city centre. What part of sydney is it in?
cheers
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:07 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where abouts is Erkinsville in Sydney?

Erskinville is an inner suburb of Sydney, maybe 2 miles from Central Railway and 3 miles from the heart of the Sydney Central Business District. It is near Newtown, a better-known suburb, if that means anything to you. It is west-south-west of central Sydney, I guess.

It is traditionally very much a working-class suburb, and 20 or 30 years ago it was bordering on being a slum. The houses are small terrace houses, the streets are narrow, and life would not have been considered easy by most people who lived there. Now I have no doubt that, because of its proximity to central Sydney (and also of course the high cost of property prices in Sydney generally), it has become somewhat gentrified, although certainly nothing like as much so as Paddington or, more recently, Glebe. It still retains a certain care-worn air, I'm afraid, albeit a somewhat trendier one than in the past.

In terms of transport it is very convenient, being on a railway line (I can't remember what line Erskinville Station itself is actually on) and within walking distance of several other stations on various lines.
Originally Posted by threlly
Hi,
can anyone tell me where abouts Erskinville is in Sydney. My spelling may be wrong. Is it anywhere near the city centre. What part of sydney is it in?
cheers
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road

Hi CPW,
thanks for your help on this. the reason i ask is because if i get my visa to come and live in sydney next year, i have to do a course for 2 weeks in the area. so from what u say, it is not too far away. i would have to get the train from circular quay i suppose, how long do u think it would take to get there? (I would be getting a ferry from manly first). where exactly is central railway?
cheers for your help

Originally Posted by CPW
Erskinville is an inner suburb of Sydney, maybe 2 miles from Central Railway and 3 miles from the heart of the Sydney Central Business District. It is near Newtown, a better-known suburb, if that means anything to you. It is west-south-west of central Sydney, I guess.

It is traditionally very much a working-class suburb, and 20 or 30 years ago it was bordering on being a slum. The houses are small terrace houses, the streets are narrow, and life would not have been considered easy by most people who lived there. Now I have no doubt that, because of its proximity to central Sydney (and also of course the high cost of property prices in Sydney generally), it has become somewhat gentrified, although certainly nothing like as much so as Paddington or, more recently, Glebe. It still retains a certain care-worn air, I'm afraid, albeit a somewhat trendier one than in the past.

In terms of transport it is very convenient, being on a railway line (I can't remember what line Erskinville Station itself is actually on) and within walking distance of several other stations on various lines.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 9:15 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by threlly
Hi CPW,
thanks for your help on this. the reason i ask is because if i get my visa to come and live in sydney next year, i have to do a course for 2 weeks in the area. so from what u say, it is not too far away. i would have to get the train from circular quay i suppose, how long do u think it would take to get there? (I would be getting a ferry from manly first). where exactly is central railway?
cheers for your help
www.131500.com.au will sort out public transport for you. Central is to the west of the CBD and is the mainline railway station and the largest city rail interchange.