Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When is the rain going to stop ?

When is the rain going to stop ?

Old Jun 27th 2005, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default When is the rain going to stop ?

I know some parts of Australia are crying out for rain but up here on the Sunshine Coast it has rained for 69 days out of the last 88 days- A bit of a piss off when you are a tradie that keeps getting laid off everytime it rains.

Cant even get on with our own new build, the pad has been cut but the slab cant be laid because as soon as you set foot on the land you end up shin deep in mud.

I thought winter was supposed to be the 'dry' season
Old Jun 27th 2005, 2:31 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: When is the rain going to stop ?

Originally Posted by jwinch
I know some parts of Australia are crying out for rain but up here on the Sunshine Coast it has rained for 69 days out of the last 88 days- A bit of a piss off when you are a tradie that keeps getting laid off everytime it rains.

Cant even get on with our own new build, the pad has been cut but the slab cant be laid because as soon as you set foot on the land you end up shin deep in mud.

It has been rather wet for this time of the year....we have been here a year now, and before we came there had only been 4 days rain since the Feb......then when we got here there were 2 days rain between July and October......weather is very strange and not good for u tradies........thankfully our house is watertight now........just need the bloody trades to get in there but they also have been held up in previous jobs....pity our lease is up on this place on ummmm Thursday :scared:
Old Jun 27th 2005, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jwinch

Hubby and I were on the sunshine coast yesterday and it felt quite ironic we couldn't enjoy the beach as it was raining. I am not sure when it is set to be dry again. It doesn't bother me. I am pleased that we are getting some rain, but I can totally understand your predicament.

Katie
ps I will send you some karma to ease the winter blues
Old Jun 27th 2005, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

We are sick of the rain too
Last Summer - 2004 we had a 'proper' summer with rainy stormy evenings and a really dry Winter, I can honestly only remember a few rainy grey days. This year our Summer was very dry and we only had 1 storm, perhaps this is why it is raining so much now.

I actually said today that I reckon it rains more here than in England- yes i know it has heavier rain fall, but it feels like it has been raining forever! I expect we will have a stonking hot Summer to make up for it.
Old Jun 27th 2005, 9:46 am
vivi

vivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nicevivi is just really nice

Originally Posted by tinaj
We are sick of the rain too
Last Summer - 2004 we had a 'proper' summer with rainy stormy evenings and a really dry Winter, I can honestly only remember a few rainy grey days. This year our Summer was very dry and we only had 1 storm, perhaps this is why it is raining so much now.

I actually said today that I reckon it rains more here than in England- yes i know it has heavier rain fall, but it feels like it has been raining forever! I expect we will have a stonking hot Summer to make up for it.
If one more person tells me rain is "Liquid Sunshine" I will be doing time! Yes I know we need it, but you would think in this day and age they could sort it, that it only rains at night! Any more of this wet stuff and I am suing DIMIA under the trades description act!!
ViVi
Old Jun 27th 2005, 11:45 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by vivi
If one more person tells me rain is "Liquid Sunshine" I will be doing time! Yes I know we need it, but you would think in this day and age they could sort it, that it only rains at night! Any more of this wet stuff and I am suing DIMIA under the trades description act!!
ViVi
Pouring again all night last night and still going strong !!
Old Jun 28th 2005, 12:02 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

When we visited the Gold Coast in April, it did nothing but p*ss down then. Only got 2 days out of 6 that were sunny
Old Jun 28th 2005, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

When you have lived here through an 18 month drought (about 2 years ago) with not a cloud in the sky during that time (let alone any rain) you really appreciate the rain when it comes, so I say Roll on the rain
Old Jun 28th 2005, 12:36 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
When you have lived here through an 18 month drought (about 2 years ago) with not a cloud in the sky during that time (let alone any rain) you really appreciate the rain when it comes, so I say Roll on the rain
Im with him ^^^^^^ .

Never ceases to amaze me that some people are never happy!

Last edited by MrsDagboy; Jun 28th 2005 at 12:45 am.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 2:32 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Excluding the person with the house building prob with the laying of the pad, what can't you do in the rain that you otherwise would be doing when it's sunny/dry? I find it peculiar that a tiny bit of little rain has his effect on some people.

you can still go to the beach etc etc - waterproofs, "yellows" trousers and mac are relatively cheap, It's nice and quiet when it rains - It's the best time to enjoy the great outdoors while others are sitting in doors "moaning" about the rain

Outdoor/council BBQ's a lot of them in some areas are in covered "huts" , which can be used in the rain

Gardening etc - still can be done. Believe me, we are up to knees in muck when it rains , building walls and such on our land - it doesn't stop us building, it shouldn't stop someone doing a spot of gardening.

fishing - best time to fish when it's p*ssing down, and not when the sun is high.
swimming , surfing - well you get wet anyway.

We live right to next to a reserve/bush, and there is nothing worse than dry crackling under you feet, bone dry branches etc etc when we don't have any rain for months.
I'm enjoying all this rain - there's still not enough of it, ( and last weekend Sunday in Brissie was dry until late Sunday night, it was a very pleasant sunny day - I'm not including the SC where it seemed to rain on the weekend (?), but it was dry with us last weekend - the rain started up again very late Sunday night and continued from then to present) even though it's taking us longer to do things around our land in it.

If rain had stopped you doing things in the UK, ( which it seems to a major gripe with a lot of people on this forum for some odd reason too) it will stop you doing them here - it's attitude, not the weather.
Rain does not stop you doing most things, it never has with me , here or back in the UK.

I do find it odd why a lot of people moan about the rain . And it is not just the poms who do this - Australians too have a moan "they can't ( no such thing as can't, more like won't) do this and that because it was raining".
( it's a genuine question and not meant as an attack on this "rain moaning")

Regarding the rain this time of year, our winters are usually very dry, this year it's a nice change -hope the whole of winter will be like this.

enjoy it

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Jun 28th 2005 at 2:39 am.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

"you can still go to the beach etc etc - waterproofs, "yellows" trousers and mac are relatively cheap, It's nice and quiet when it rains - It's the best time to enjoy the great outdoors while others are sitting in doors "moaning" about the rain"

True you I am sure you are right the beach would be nice in the rain. Hubby and I had a nice drive instead through the hinterlands. I will have to get some waterproof trousers and replace my brollie which I think I must have left in the loo at the cinema

Katie
Old Jun 28th 2005, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
what can't you do in the rain that you otherwise would be doing when it's sunny/dry?

Cut the grass? I've been waiting 3 weeks now for 2 sequential dry days so I could cut the grass. Its far too muddy and wet to try and cut it now, it would just dig it up. And now its about knee length, and I still can't cut it, cos its raining again...

Two dry days in a row, its not much to ask in the 'sunshine state'

JTL
Old Jun 28th 2005, 8:06 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Ceri
Excluding the person with the house building prob with the laying of the pad, what can't you do in the rain that you otherwise would be doing when it's sunny/dry? I find it peculiar that a tiny bit of little rain has his effect on some people.

you can still go to the beach etc etc - waterproofs, "yellows" trousers and mac are relatively cheap, It's nice and quiet when it rains - It's the best time to enjoy the great outdoors while others are sitting in doors "moaning" about the rain

Outdoor/council BBQ's a lot of them in some areas are in covered "huts" , which can be used in the rain

Gardening etc - still can be done. Believe me, we are up to knees in muck when it rains , building walls and such on our land - it doesn't stop us building, it shouldn't stop someone doing a spot of gardening.

fishing - best time to fish when it's p*ssing down, and not when the sun is high.
swimming , surfing - well you get wet anyway.

We live right to next to a reserve/bush, and there is nothing worse than dry crackling under you feet, bone dry branches etc etc when we don't have any rain for months.
I'm enjoying all this rain - there's still not enough of it, ( and last weekend Sunday in Brissie was dry until late Sunday night, it was a very pleasant sunny day - I'm not including the SC where it seemed to rain on the weekend (?), but it was dry with us last weekend - the rain started up again very late Sunday night and continued from then to present) even though it's taking us longer to do things around our land in it.

If rain had stopped you doing things in the UK, ( which it seems to a major gripe with a lot of people on this forum for some odd reason too) it will stop you doing them here - it's attitude, not the weather.
Rain does not stop you doing most things, it never has with me , here or back in the UK.

I do find it odd why a lot of people moan about the rain . And it is not just the poms who do this - Australians too have a moan "they can't ( no such thing as can't, more like won't) do this and that because it was raining".
( it's a genuine question and not meant as an attack on this "rain moaning")

Regarding the rain this time of year, our winters are usually very dry, this year it's a nice change -hope the whole of winter will be like this.

enjoy it

cheers
It's people like Ceri you want standing by you in a gunfight, I'll tell ya. Not a huge fan of rain myself - but, there are a lot of people out there with funny attitudes to hardship.

It's like joggers in winter all rugged up with gloves and hats - if you are that cold you are not running fast enough - I wear the same old top and shorts all year round - Uk and Australia winters. It could be 4 degrees in London and I would still wear shorts and one layer! lol

Badge

Old Jun 28th 2005, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

The rain stops you doing lots of things. The sort of rain we have been getting would make you look nuts if you tried to garden or walk on the beach in it, we are not talking about light drizzly showers here. Also with the kids off of school for the last 2 weeks there is no way they could play out in this.

I may be a sook but I hate the rain, wind and cold THAT IS WHY I MOVED TO THE SUNSHINE COAST!!! Anything below 25 is cold to me now and with rain thrown in it just makes it worse. Last Winter was gorg, not at all like this, we still were sun baking on he beach in June and there was no rain.

We have also had a lot more rain here than Brisbane. So just let us 'Sunny' Coasters moan in peace!!
Old Jun 28th 2005, 8:51 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
It's like joggers in winter all rugged up with gloves and hats - if you are that cold you are not running fast enough - I wear the same old top and shorts all year round - Uk and Australia winters. It could be 4 degrees in London and I would still wear shorts and one layer! lol
Badge
You know what they say, "no sense, no feeling"! Always thought you were a bit mad.
Anyway, you'd like the rain because the more rain leads to more growth of vegetation, which when dry leads to more fuel for fires, which leads to more chances to show your skill with a hose.

Firehose that is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.