Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When to look for rentals

When to look for rentals

Old Mar 2nd 2010, 11:51 am
Account Closed

Kayelem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When to look for rentals

Hi. We are emigrating at the end of June to Perth. I wanted to know when we can secure a rental. All properties at the moment on websites say ready now or in the next few weeks, so are not going to wait around for us. Is it a matter of waiting till a few weeks before we go? I have seen quite a few which we like the look of. We are looking at unfurnished properties. Also has anyne rented from the UK without actually seeing the house?
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: When to look for rentals

When you get here. It is very unlikely that they will take an application when you are abroad as they need to verify who you are and take up references etc. They will want to see that you either have a job or have enough money to pay the rent for at least 6 months.

Just wait until you get here - see something you like and go for it - and hope 20 other families don't want it too!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

Unless its a private the rental police wont entertain you unless you have a wedge to put down and a proxy here to do it for you

Mally

Best bet get a holiday /short term let then suss where you want to be and the rentals ( you get abonus with a reference from your aussie landlord which are worth 100`s uk ones )
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Kingseat
When you get here. It is very unlikely that they will take an application when you are abroad as they need to verify who you are and take up references etc. They will want to see that you either have a job or have enough money to pay the rent for at least 6 months.

Just wait until you get here - see something you like and go for it - and hope 20 other families don't want it too!
It was our intention origonally to get a holiday let BUT we have a dog and nowhere I have asked will let her stay. We will be in OZ 2 weeks before we have to collect her from quarantine will we be able to secure a rental and move in within 2 weeks of arriving?
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kayelem
It was our intention origonally to get a holiday let BUT we have a dog and nowhere I have asked will let her stay. We will be in OZ 2 weeks before we have to collect her from quarantine will we be able to secure a rental and move in within 2 weeks of arriving?

not really thought this have ya , not being mean but practical , it does not matter about the nutt but cuts ya options its rindin one where you kbow you like and feel comfortable , its like buyin a bed you dont know til you lie on it where are you headed NOR or SOR

MaLLY
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. We are emigrating at the end of June to Perth. I wanted to know when we can secure a rental. All properties at the moment on websites say ready now or in the next few weeks, so are not going to wait around for us. Is it a matter of waiting till a few weeks before we go? I have seen quite a few which we like the look of. We are looking at unfurnished properties. Also has anyne rented from the UK without actually seeing the house?
Hi Kayelem,

Beware of renting somewhere before you've actually seen it in person, as we found some gorgeous-looking places online and when we went to see them it was obvious that the photos were a few years old ! Nobody would have inspected those properties if they'd have posted recent pictures, they were dives.

Sorry to put a dampener on things.

Best of luck.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Yes, you can rent within 2 weeks but looking at houses is going to be all you do from day 1. Make a list of what you want and try and find somewhere that will take a dog. You just won't get a rental before you get there.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

Elmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to all

We are in exactly the same position. We move in three weeks and are having difficulty finding properties which are advertised far enough in advance.

We are looking at a holiday let for two weeks then hope to have gotten something by then!

Good Luck

p.s We are in perth too so give me a PM if you fancy meeting up once you are sorted
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

OilDigger is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been here 2 weeks now and just secured a rental yesterday, but we don't get it until March 13.

Our experience was that it will be impossible to rent whilst in the UK, unless your on some sponsorship deal that provides accommodation. Infact the real estate agents are just not interested until you get here, they just told us to come see them when we arrived. Even when we visited the offices they wouldn't take our details because the area we wanted suffers from lack of rentals and they just told us to check the websites and call when something came up.

You need to visit the rentals as all ready stated, there are many rentals just owned as an investment and to put it bluntly are C**p. If you don't have transport you may struggle also in just getting to the home open. Get a mobile phone when you arrive and internet access then check the web sites such as reiwa and adds in local papers etc. and then chase the agents or people advertising. The agents can be a pain in the ass not replying to your calls also, we enquired about several home opens but had to chase the agents again in the end.

On the plus side several agents have told us they have plenty of rentals, the issue maybe if there are any available in the area you want to rent in, we have one in Woodvale and it's been difficult to get something decent here, other areas may be a lot better and I suspect others worse. The best we have seen have been people renting there own homes out, the house we have the couple are off to the states for a couple of years.

The other decider will be your price range, I suspect the lower your budget the more people will be looking at the same property, we went to look at a 3 bed yesterday at 9 am, five lots had been through the doors before us and we where on time at 9 am.

As already stated if you can afford it offer to pay several months up front, we have offered to pay 3 months to secure ours, but i would we wary of this if it's an investment rental, if the landlord doesn't pay the mortgage you could be out, so don't pay to much in advance. Not sure about your dog, the house we have has a cat but won't allow pets under the tenancy.

Sorry I can't rose tint this for you but it's shitty and stressfull at the Mo looking for a rental, you may just get lucky but don't expect it to be a walk in the park and then if it's easy take it as a bonus.

GOODLUCK !!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:37 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicolamoon
not really thought this have ya , not being mean but practical , it does not matter about the nutt but cuts ya options its rindin one where you kbow you like and feel comfortable , its like buyin a bed you dont know til you lie on it where are you headed NOR or SOR

MaLLY
Can we have an English translation?
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

I found the same thing when I was looking - everything was available "now". I did enquire with the real estate office and they advised to apply closer to the time.

Anyway, I managed to secure a rental house BEFORE leaving Canada. We filled in the application and had to show proof of funds with a bank statement and it was approved.

We went to see it the day after we arrived (it wasn't available until the following week). We liked what we saw, but wasn't happy with the backyard. We put down the bond and 2 weeks rent that was required, then found another house that we liked much better. Because we hadn't signed a lease we were able to get back the bond and 2 weeks rent.

So it can be done, it is possible that you can secure something before leaving - we did it.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

hi, we got our rental by the end of our first week, it can be done,we started looking from day 1. good luck
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Anibec is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, if you're looking SOR, I'm in Rockingham, I can give you details of where we got our furnished rental from. They do take dogs too.
Old Mar 3rd 2010, 8:56 am
Account Closed

Thanks everyone for the honest replies. It is kind of reassuring to know that we are in the same boat as everyone else, and its not that we are going about things the wrong way. We are hoping to go somewhere around the Joondalup area. Lukily this forum exsists so we are not going in totally blind and know what to expect.Thanks again.