Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

when kids start school

when kids start school

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:32 pm
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all
Default Re: when kids start school

Hi ,
we are hoping to go to sydney, not our first choice but thats where sponsor is located, we have 4 children 10,7 and twins are 4, the twins dob is 09/06/03
so it looks like the twins will start school in jan 09, by what i have read.

right now the question is it cost $4500 per child per yr so that will be $18000 school fees for all 4 of them for 1 yr , now do you have to pay this all up front at the begining of the school yr (jan).

also do we have to start them in the jan ? they are at school full time here in the u.k but was wondering if we could start them anytime throughout 09 but before they are 6,so before june 09, as this will save us a lot of money!!

do you pay by term or have to pay for a full yr wotever mth they start after jan which is the new school year

also do you have to by law have to send them to kindy?

any help most appreciated

michell
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by michell
Hi ,
we are hoping to go to sydney, not our first choice but thats where sponsor is located, we have 4 children 10,7 and twins are 4, the twins dob is 09/06/03
so it looks like the twins will start school in jan 09, by what i have read.

right now the question is it cost $4500 per child per yr so that will be $18000 school fees for all 4 of them for 1 yr , now do you have to pay this all up front at the begining of the school yr (jan).

also do we have to start them in the jan ? they are at school full time here in the u.k but was wondering if we could start them anytime throughout 09 but before they are 6,so before june 09, as this will save us a lot of money!!

do you pay by term or have to pay for a full yr wotever mth they start after jan which is the new school year

also do you have to by law have to send them to kindy?

any help most appreciated

michell

Hi, school fees are normally paid by the term, if you're having trouble paying them, just contact the school principal and they may work out a plan for you. Normally halfway through the term you will receive the school fees account.

Your twins will need to start kindergarten at the beginning of the next school year (2009) if you have arrived in Sydney. We don't have a staggered system like some countries, all children start at the end of January. Of course, if you arrive at any time throughout 2009, your children will join in the class at that time.

Kindergarten is the first official year of our schooling here, then Year 1, Year 2 etc. By "kindy" I'm not sure if you mean preschool. Because your twins are turning 6 next year then yes, by law they will be required to start school. You must turn 6 in the year you start kindergarten in NSW.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:17 pm
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
Hi, school fees are normally paid by the term, if you're having trouble paying them, just contact the school principal and they may work out a plan for you. Normally halfway through the term you will receive the school fees account.

Your twins will need to start kindergarten at the beginning of the next school year (2009) if you have arrived in Sydney. We don't have a staggered system like some countries, all children start at the end of January. Of course, if you arrive at any time throughout 2009, your children will join in the class at that time.

Kindergarten is the first official year of our schooling here, then Year 1, Year 2 etc. By "kindy" I'm not sure if you mean preschool. Because your twins are turning 6 next year then yes, by law they will be required to start school. You must turn 6 in the year you start kindergarten in NSW.

Hope this helps.
hi yes that helps alot, what do you have to pay for kindy , what i am trying to work out is will it be cheaper to send them to school or kindy (the twins) up until june and then will the school accept them in june as its half way through the school year.

what i am trying to say bottom line is, which is my cheapest option for our 1st year in NSW, as obviously the second year its gonna cost us $18000, but was hoping to pay $4500 for 10 yr old $4500 for 7 yr old and $2250 each for both the twins if they go half way through the year e.g june 09 for our 1st yr there

hope this doesnt sound to complicated

kind regards
michell
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all
Smile Re: when kids start school

Originally Posted by michell
hi yes that helps alot, what do you have to pay for kindy , what i am trying to work out is will it be cheaper to send them to school or kindy (the twins) up until june and then will the school accept them in june as its half way through the school year.

what i am trying to say bottom line is, which is my cheapest option for our 1st year in NSW, as obviously the second year its gonna cost us $18000, but was hoping to pay $4500 for 10 yr old $4500 for 7 yr old and $2250 each for both the twins if they go half way through the year e.g june 09 for our 1st yr there

hope this doesnt sound to complicated

kind regards
michell
Hi, kindy or kindergarten in NSW is the first official year of school. If you arrive in Australia in January 09 then by law your twins will have to start school at the beginning of the school year 2009 (usually 31st Jan) as they will be 5 and 1/2. You have no other option (other than homeschooling) because they will be too old to be at home. The year a child turns 6 is the year they must start kindergarten (at the beginning of that year if you have arrived then).

If you arrive earlier than Jan 09 then they can either stay at home or go to preschool which is normally for 1-3 days for 3-5 yrs olds, and can be anywhere between $28-$45 per day per child and runs in alignment with school hours and holiday periods. Actually, this year if you were here, they are also eligible to be in kindergarten as children in NSW may start kindergarten when they are 4 as long as they turn 5 by 31 July of that year.

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au - could be a helpful website for you to check out. Please feel free to PM me if you need any more info. I hope I haven't confused you!