Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

when kids start school

when kids start school

Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

rachaey has a spectacular aura aboutrachaey has a spectacular aura aboutrachaey has a spectacular aura about
Default when kids start school

Hi there,this may seem a silly question but i cant find the answer probably because i am in a bit of a panick over it, but if my daughter is 4 in May will she be starting school in oz in feb 09, i hope so or we are in a bit of a pickle cheers,
Rach
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all
Default Re: when kids start school

i think it depend on what state you are going to live
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

sydney_oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
5 years children can get admission in school in NSW but not sure about other states.

Cheers
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

rachaey has a spectacular aura aboutrachaey has a spectacular aura aboutrachaey has a spectacular aura about

hi thanks for quick reply we are heading for cairns in queensland,
cheers
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

ok i have read a few threads and realy confused, can anyone help, we have a girl dob 30/05/04 and a boy 6/7/03 does this mean neither can start till jan 2010, as cut off in queenlsand is 30th june when they have to be 5, joe is already in fulltime school here and hollie due to start in sept, thanks for any help
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:48 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rachaey
Hi there,this may seem a silly question but i cant find the answer probably because i am in a bit of a panick over it, but if my daughter is 4 in May will she be starting school in oz in feb 09, i hope so or we are in a bit of a pickle cheers,
Rach

No as far as i know they start when they are 5 my son just turned 5 in March and he wont be starting on till January at the school we are sending them to in Maroochydore

may be its a bit different in other places I hope for your sake
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:58 pm

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Just found this on a web site
(Primary school

In NSW, children must turn five before July 31 in the year they start school, although gifted and talented children may be allowed to start school earlier. By law, children have to start school by their sixth birthday.

Children start school in kindergarten - usually called 'kindy' - and continue until year six, when children are 11 or 12 years old and they leave primary school. )

It looks like the month they have to turn 5 can be different in each state but it does seem to be the same age they have to turn 5 to start in the new school year.

but it looks like you can chat with a school and see if they can start earlier esp if they have been in school for one year already

Hope that helps
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

thankyou baby, we are realy panicking here, just about be able to cope with one set of child care fees if our daughter misses full time but also our son who is five in beginning of july just misses the 30th june deadline apparently in queensland, (only 10 months between kiddies|) I hope i am very confused on this matter and somehow got it wrong or that they might be able to make an acception for us. I feel utterly gutted we are hoping to go dec, i have a job to start but i know we wont be able to afford child care, does anyone know the hours of kindergarden and preparatory school, we just got our visa and due to the uncertaintity of wether we could get a visa |(health reasons|) we are frantically trying to get sorted, sorry for going on

Any advice anyonecheers
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:32 pm

thankyou baby, we are realy panicking here, just about be able to cope with one set of child care fees if our daughter misses full time but also our son who is five in beginning of july just misses the 30th june deadline apparently in queensland, (only 10 months between kiddies|) I hope i am very confused on this matter and somehow got it wrong or that they might be able to make an acception for us. I feel utterly gutted we are hoping to go dec, i have a job to start but i know we wont be able to afford child care, does anyone know the hours of kindergarden and preparatory school, we just got our visa and due to the uncertaintity of wether we could get a visa |(health reasons|) we are frantically trying to get sorted, sorry for going on

Any advice anyonecheers
Ild say they will esp if one has been in school already Ild ring or email some of them now as they do fill up and there can be waiting periods from what other people say any way

check out this web site http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/educ...ing-childcare/ its an Australian web site and has threads about schools and all that good place to ask

Are they great friends with each other being so close in age you did well
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thankyou muchley baby, i think it is ok now been on the queensland gov website and found out that the prep year is full time so both my younger ones will be in the same year, i hope i have done it right anyyway, thanfully they do get on very well most of the time, a little easier now but hard work in the beginning panick over i hope!
cheers,
Rach
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

ice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to allice mocha is a name known to all

apparently the ozzies are a year behind us here.. so.. i'm hoping for your sake you can get them both in school but if not... perhaps a backup plan..?
Old Apr 1st 2008, 9:49 pm

Thankyou muchley baby, i think it is ok now been on the queensland gov website and found out that the prep year is full time so both my younger ones will be in the same year, i hope i have done it right anyyway, thanfully they do get on very well most of the time, a little easier now but hard work in the beginning panick over i hope!
cheers,
Rach
Your very welcome mine were close enough as well but it does work out as they get older my youngest is two in two weeks and im expecting my 4th in September should be fun
have you looked at any schools , bring a record from your sons teacher of how he is coping and what he has covered i emailed a few schools and got some reply's so you could try that

good luck
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If your child misses the cut off date by a few days and has already been in full time school they may be a bit lenient - there is a general agreement between states here that if a child has started full time school in another state then they will be enrolled. This is a particular problem for us here in ACT because our cut off is 30 April but next door in NSW it is 31 July so we often get kids coming across the border who are younger.

If despite your question, the state schools will not budge on the cut off (and they may say that UK is on another planet and they are not bound by when UK kids start school) then consider the systemic Catholic schools - they tend to be more flexible with their cut off dates from what I have seen.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

ok i have read a few threads and realy confused, can anyone help, we have a girl dob 30/05/04 and a boy 6/7/03 does this mean neither can start till jan 2010, as cut off in queenlsand is 30th june when they have to be 5, joe is already in fulltime school here and hollie due to start in sept, thanks for any help
Both of your children will be able to start school in Queensland in Jan 2009.

The cut-off date in QLD is 30 June. Children have to be 5 before 30th June 2009, if they want to start school in 2009.

Your son will be 5 on 06/07/08, so will be 5 before 30/06/09. Your daughter will be 5 on 30/05/09, so will also be 5 before 30/06/09. They will both be in the same year.

Your daughter will start school only 4 months after she would have done in the UK.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Babydurbs is a jewel in the roughBabydurbs is a jewel in the roughBabydurbs is a jewel in the roughBabydurbs is a jewel in the rough

Rach
Hi,
We are going to Brisbane in September on 136 Visa and have 2 daughters 14 and 4. emailed a couple of schools re the 4 years old (5 in Dec), they told me she can start in September, Prep and Year 1 in January 09. We were worried about it too, as our daughter is so ready for school now and so our we!!!!!!
Hope this helps
Lisa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.