Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When does it start to get warmer?

When does it start to get warmer?

Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When does it start to get warmer?

Originally Posted by Baby75
here are the 4 seasons so it should start to get warmer in september youll find it great then and hopefully you will be used to the climate as it gets really hot come summer

* Summer: December to February
* Autumn: March to May
* Winter: June to August
* Spring: September to November
Hope you were aiming that at the OP not me, I've been here four years so I'm used to the seasons...and the dark
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:49 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
Anyone whining that they can't get to sleep because of DS is total idiot. If Brits can get 8 hours' sleep at 51 degrees north then they can in Perth at 31 degrees south.
It just ranks along with cows, chickens, locusts, skin cancer and all the other balanced excuses for not having daylight saving
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:52 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tableland
Anyone whining that they can't get to sleep because of DS is total idiot. If Brits can get 8 hours' sleep at 51 degrees north then they can in Perth at 31 degrees south.
Its not the light they complain about not being able to sleep its the heat later at night.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:51 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It just ranks along with cows, chickens, locusts, skin cancer and all the other balanced excuses for not having daylight saving
to be honest Poll, after having it for 1 summer here I can't say I would vote for it when the time comes. I didn't feel I gained anything by having an extra hour of daylight and towards the end of the summer it was pitch black in the morning when I got up which I hated even more.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Don't forget the fading of curtains/sofas etc. !
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by northernbird
to be honest Poll, after having it for 1 summer here I can't say I would vote for it when the time comes. I didn't feel I gained anything by having an extra hour of daylight and towards the end of the summer it was pitch black in the morning when I got up which I hated even more.
You're getting up too early then !

I don't finish work until 5pm here in Cairns. Takes me 1/2 an hour to get home, it's dark by 6:30 !
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
It's funny because I was a real advocate for it - especially after living in SE Asia for so long where it gets dark at 6pm every day of the year.

BUT...I'm not so sure that it was so good in the end - mainly because the heat stayed around for so much longer in the day.

On balance it's probably a good thing because there aren't too many days in Perth when the heat is unbearable but those 40 plus days when it's still in the mid 30s at 7pm were a bit of an eye opener for die-hard DLS people like myself.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Sod global warming, I'd just like a bit of global lighting. B*gger the chickens, give us daylight saving time!
Hear, hear .... sod the cows and curtains!!! Don't wanna be up at 5am to enjoy the "extra hour's sunshine" at the beginning of the day like all the Queenslanders do! They're all in bed by 8pm. Let's have a life in this joint and tack in on the end of the day to enjoy instead!!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:00 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by rabsody
Hear, hear .... sod the cows and curtains!!! Don't wanna be up at 5am to enjoy the "extra hour's sunshine" at the beginning of the day like all the Queenslanders do! They're all in bed by 8pm. Let's have a life in this joint and tack in on the end of the day to enjoy instead!!
Yeah, thats my feelings. I know everyone is different, but personally I feel far more alive in the evenings, and would really like a bit of light to enjoy the place. I can't do mornings, I really have tried but early mornings just leave me grumpy (or grumpier than usual) and I miss coming home from work knowing you have some daylight left.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 4:01 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody

I'm with you.....I love long summer evenings.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by busterboy
I'm with you.....I love long summer evenings.
I agree, and the UK long summer evenings are the best thing about the UK imho. Not worth staying here for all the year round though.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:10 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by sambo76
I know we are from the UK but........... got here 8 weeks ago and everyone is saying it's the coldest winter in a long time - granted it gets a bit chilly in the evening and morning but the days are lovely.

But when is 'winter' over and it gets warm enough to sit outside after work?

We have a barbie all ready but gets too dark n cold early to use it yet.

Also have lots of summer clothes we brought over and not used yet as we foolishly thought we wouldn't need anything warm.......
Us English are all the same, we think OZ is never cold until we live here that is.
I think Sept time is when it starts to get better. Although Brissy is supposed to humid all year round.
Turning the clocks back was really good last year as the nights were longer to party
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:12 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quercus
I agree, and the UK long summer evenings are the best thing about the UK imho. Not worth staying here for all the year round though.
Oh I so know. My favourite night of the year in MidSummers. I would look forward to it all bloody Spring and early Summer and every year for ages it's been crap weather!
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:25 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Sod global warming, I'd just like a bit of global lighting. B*gger the chickens, give us daylight saving time!
Leave our chooks alone ... and the time for that matter ... but DO floridate the water.

And so the yearly debate continues ...
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by busterboy
Oh I so know. My favourite night of the year in MidSummers. I would look forward to it all bloody Spring and early Summer and every year for ages it's been crap weather!
...then after midsummer, we get to countdown the shortening days till winter again! sad, ahhhh....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.