Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

When do they ask for your passport when applying for a partner visa?

When do they ask for your passport when applying for a partner visa?

Old Nov 30th 2003, 6:05 pm
Melbourne, St Kilda

joninoxford will become famous soon enough
Default When do they ask for your passport when applying for a partner visa?

Hi there, just a quick question,

My Australian partner and I just sent in the applicaiton for a Partner Visa for me to go to Australia to live with her on De Faco grounds. The checklist for what include said to send certified copies of my passport which we did. Reading back through some of the posts on this board, some people seemed to send the passport at the same time as their application to get the visa stamp stuck in. Will they request my passport later, or should I have sent it with the application? I don't want anything to delay the application! Also, some posts on this board said they got their partner Visa within 2 days - can this be for real, or were they special cases? Many thanks for advice!

Last edited by joninoxford; Nov 30th 2003 at 6:13 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 7:19 pm
AWOL

Kentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the roughKentish Man is a jewel in the rough

I was planning on sending my passport in with my application. De facto visas don't appear to take long and I'm not going on any holidays for a few months so I think it will be o.k. I'm sure I've read on this forum before that they will ask for your passport when the visa is granted anyway so don't worry!
Old Nov 30th 2003, 7:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

When your visa is granted you will be sent a letter giving details of where you can send your passport for the visa to be evidenced. Looks like walking into the London High Commission is longer a way to do this so registered post is the best way.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 7:57 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If the application is straighforward it can be granted really quickly, so if you send your passport with it they just put the sticker in and send it back. If you don't send the passport with it, they will have to write to you and request it before they grant the visa.
Old Nov 30th 2003, 8:02 pm

Originally posted by Pollyana
If the application is straighforward it can be granted really quickly, so if you send your passport with it they just put the sticker in and send it back. If you don't send the passport with it, they will have to write to you and request it before they grant the visa.
You are right about the speed but the Visa will be granted without the passport. The passport is needed for the label. That is just pedantry.

As you say straightforward front end loaded partner applications are usually speedy ie no criminal history, no medical problems, exceed the relationship requirments, stat decs from each side of the family and no visa overstays in Oz.

I am sure an agent will add to the list if I have missed anything.
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

chloet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
You are right about the speed but the Visa will be granted without the passport. The passport is needed for the label. That is just pedantry.

As you say straightforward front end loaded partner applications are usually speedy ie no criminal history, no medical problems, exceed the relationship requirments, stat decs from each side of the family and no visa overstays in Oz.

I am sure an agent will add to the list if I have missed anything.
Hi'
Just a word...If spouse/partner visas are so straight forward to issue then why has my husband been waiting for 6 months for his (he has no crimminal record, no record of overstay and perfect health and all his other documents are in order.)??? His passport has been at the Embassy since July....WE continue to wait...Chloe...
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:20 am

Originally posted by chloet
Hi'
Just a word...If spouse/partner visas are so straight forward to issue then why has my husband been waiting for 6 months for his (he has no crimminal record, no record of overstay and perfect health and all his other documents are in order.)??? His passport has been at the Embassy since July....WE continue to wait...Chloe...
I should have stressed usually. I suggest you write to an MP or Senator as I believe you have written to the embassy with no luck. You never know what arses might get kicked.

Most people on this forum applied at the High Commission in London which appears to be a reasonably efficient processing centre.

Good luck
Old Dec 1st 2003, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bondi Pom,
I have called 3 times but always get the same reply "It is being finalized". We are in Thailand and applied to the Embassy in Bangkok. Seems like London is a lot more speedy. I have not written to them but will take your advice and write them a letter very soon. Cosidering the cost of a visa application you think that they could treat the applicants with a little bit more respect....
Regards Chloe....
Old Dec 1st 2003, 3:38 am

Originally posted by chloet
Hi Bondi Pom,
I have called 3 times but always get the same reply "It is being finalized". We are in Thailand and applied to the Embassy in Bangkok. Seems like London is a lot more speedy. I have not written to them but will take your advice and write them a letter very soon. Cosidering the cost of a visa application you think that they could treat the applicants with a little bit more respect....
Regards Chloe....
Have you read the following: http://www.austembassy.or.th/visas/faq_3_eng.php#5

Generally correspondence in writing is preferable. I have rung DIMIA twice and both times the person on the other end was irritable until I told them that I was asked to call. When I have written or faxed I have received prompt replies.

Good luck
Old Dec 1st 2003, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

BondiPom,
Thanks again for your advice.
I will write to them straight away and let you know how we get on and how promptly they respond/reply.
Chloe...