Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

when to buy computor????

when to buy computor????

Old Nov 25th 2003, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

tosh cambridge is an unknown quantity at this point
Default when to buy computor????

does anyone know the price of computors in Oz. We have decided to give ours to our daughter to help her keep in touch but are unsure whether to buy a new one in the UK and ship it with our stuff or wait and buy in Oz. What do people think?
Old Nov 25th 2003, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

scottm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: when to buy computor????

Originally posted by tosh cambridge
does anyone know the price of computors in Oz. We have decided to give ours to our daughter to help her keep in touch but are unsure whether to buy a new one in the UK and ship it with our stuff or wait and buy in Oz. What do people think?

Computers, laptops and desk tops are a lot cheaper in the UK,
with a lot more choice, but the downside is if you buy before you leave, you won't be covered under the warranty in oz if anything goes wrong.

Scottm
Old Nov 25th 2003, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

stuartr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by scottm
Computers, laptops and desk tops are a lot cheaper in the UK,
with a lot more choice, but the downside is if you buy before you leave, you won't be covered under the warranty in oz if anything goes wrong.

Scottm

Check out dell.com.au - the prices aren't too different from the UK and they have excellent warranty and back up (although good quality gear anyway, so you shouldnt need it!)
Old Nov 25th 2003, 3:32 pm
WBB

i thought computer gear was generally cheaper in oz???

Old Nov 25th 2003, 4:08 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by welshboybilly
We bought a pc in Oz not long before coming back to the UK and found that the same model cost exactly the same price in London.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

sashadan is an unknown quantity at this point

i,ve just bought a hp laptop,which has got a world wide warantee,
and am starting to transfer files from desktop to laptop,with the view of being able to get onto web any time duing travel and temp accommodation,.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 9:16 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by welshboybilly
I have just compared UK versus Oz on a basic dell 2400 with 2.66 Ghz and 512 Mb memory

Oz Price 1923 inc GST and Del (807 GBP & 42p a $)
UK Price 788.92 inc VAT and Del (1878.38 AUD)

UK wins as cheaper place.

WBB I have not found OZ cheaper and I have found the variety offered by individual stores smaller than in the UK. When you buy an OZ computer mag you will be surprised by the lack of advertising from hardware resellers.

All that said the changing Exchange rate is making OZ more expensive but as new stock flows through the system resellers will discount. If there is a discount it will be marginal and probably will cover the cost of shipping but not the GST liable over here if you declare it.

If you are buying DELL wait till you get out here as technology will have moved on or that processor RAM combo you were after will have gone down in price.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 9:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Bought mine in the UK (after advice in a previous thread on prices and stuff!), got a cheap deal from PC World, which included the printer, cost me £600; one advantage was that I could get it all set up over there and make sure it worked etc - figuring if I had problems, dealing with them in a familiar environment would be easier!
Then sent it by airfreight - the cost of that balanced favourably against the cost of using internet cafes and running round the streets job-hunting instead of doing it on the net. All arrived in perfect condition, up and running first day here.
So overall, I think we probably saved money by buying in the UK, plus the convenience factor of having it straight away without having to run round and find out where to buy stuff. The only thing we had to buy was the cable to connect to the phone line.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 9:41 pm

Originally posted by Pollyana
Bought mine in the UK (after advice in a previous thread on prices and stuff!), got a cheap deal from PC World, which included the printer, cost me £600; one advantage was that I could get it all set up over there and make sure it worked etc - figuring if I had problems, dealing with them in a familiar environment would be easier!
Then sent it by airfreight - the cost of that balanced favourably against the cost of using internet cafes and running round the streets job-hunting instead of doing it on the net. All arrived in perfect condition, up and running first day here.
So overall, I think we probably saved money by buying in the UK, plus the convenience factor of having it straight away without having to run round and find out where to buy stuff. The only thing we had to buy was the cable to connect to the phone line.
You might have needed a power cable as well. You are right that getting a PC ASAP for job hunting should be a priority. Make sure that if you are relying on the warranty to make sure it is international.

Most PCs now work straight out of the box.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bondipom
I have just compared UK versus Oz on a basic dell 2400 with 2.66 Ghz and 512 Mb memory

WBB I have not found OZ cheaper and I have found the variety offered by individual stores smaller than in the UK. When you buy an OZ computer mag you will be surprised by the lack of advertising from hardware resellers.

All that said the changing Exchange rate is making OZ more expensive but as new stock flows through the system resellers will discount. If there is a discount it will be marginal and probably will cover the cost of shipping but not the GST liable over here if you declare it.

If you are buying DELL wait till you get out here as technology will have moved on or that processor RAM combo you were after will have gone down in price.

Another example, I bought a Maxtor external hard drive in Adelaide five weeks ago, for $369.00 thats the cheapest I could find.
The same model in the uk, from dabs cost 107 GBP, which is about $252.00.
Quite a bit cheaper in th UK.

Scottm
Old Nov 25th 2003, 9:58 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom

Aren't there any internet stores over there, like Dabs or Watford Electronics?
Old Nov 25th 2003, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by JaneandJim
Aren't there any internet stores over there, like Dabs or Watford Electronics?

Here's one, http://www.itwarehouse.com.au/warehouse/front.htm

Australia is pretty slack when it comes to online shopping.

Scottm
Old Nov 25th 2003, 10:19 pm

www.ht.com.au Harris Technology
www.adelong.com.au

Are 2 that I have used.
Old Nov 25th 2003, 10:21 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi tosh cambridge,
her is another option, buy one in the USA en route TO oZ.

Prices tend to be the same UD$ as GB£.

A posibility if you go via USA sught seeing.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 25th 2003, 10:24 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You might have needed a power cable as well.
Good point Bondipom - we are just running on the UK power cable, and a UK-Oz adapter. Its running through a surge protected board too - essential here I gather!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.