Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

when is the 'bond' sponsorship money returned?

when is the 'bond' sponsorship money returned?

Old Mar 5th 2005, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice
Default when is the 'bond' sponsorship money returned?

I was granted perm resident visa in Sept 2003. In order to get the visa I was sponsored by my cousin $5000 AUD. I went to Australia for a couple of months in November 2003 and validated the visa. Am looking to move permanently in 2006. I know the bond is to ensure you aren't costing the Aus Government too much in benefits etc over first two years, so would it be returned to my cousin 2 years from when the visa was granted, two years from when I first entered Aus or when I have resided there two years in total?
If that is the case, what would happen to the bond money if I decided not to go back to Aus?

Thanks for your help
Old Mar 5th 2005, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of
Default Re: when is the 'bond' sponsorship money returned?

We had to pay the $100,000 bond. This is returned after a year, however interest is still paid to us during this time. Not sure if its the same for the sponsorship bond.
Old Mar 5th 2005, 10:34 am
Banned

djdutts is on a distinguished road

Not sure about what happens if you don't return, but the $$ gets returned after 2 years (less any deductions for doctors, hospital, support etc).

Hope this helps!

Chris
http://www.StandupSpeakup.co.uk
Old Mar 5th 2005, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lissysarah
I was granted perm resident visa in Sept 2003. In order to get the visa I was sponsored by my cousin $5000 AUD. I went to Australia for a couple of months in November 2003 and validated the visa. Am looking to move permanently in 2006. I know the bond is to ensure you aren't costing the Aus Government too much in benefits etc over first two years, so would it be returned to my cousin 2 years from when the visa was granted, two years from when I first entered Aus or when I have resided there two years in total?
If that is the case, what would happen to the bond money if I decided not to go back to Aus?

Thanks for your help
I'd love an answer to this too please. Scoured the DIMIA site but it's ambiguous. We were given the chance of the money back after 2 years but thought it best to leave it accumulating interest as we guessed it would be 2 years from permanently moving to Australia (rather than 2 years from validating) seeing as how it's meant to cover you if you have to claim any benefits. Anybody know?
Sue
Old Mar 5th 2005, 12:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
We had to pay the $100,000 bond. This is returned after a year, however interest is still paid to us during this time. Not sure if its the same for the sponsorship bond.

It's not. The capital investment bond and assurance of support bond are two very different things.

Jeremy