Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Help! Think I've c@cked up big time!

Help! Think I've c@cked up big time!

Old Mar 4th 2005, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

nursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs down Help! Think I've c@cked up big time!

Hi there, just some advice needed really on the work experience side of things! My application is all ready, meds, police checks the lot, however, my occupation is worth 60 points and for that I have to be employed for 12 out of the 18 mths immediately before applying. I assumed I'd be ok as I've worked part time (14 hrs) for the past 3 mths, prior to that I had a 3 mth career break, but before that I was employed by the NHS for 13 years! Speaking to a friend in a similar situation it turns out this isn't enough? Is that right? If thats the case what can I do about it? I've increased my hours at work to 30 per week from Jan 30th this year. Hubby reckons I can't submit application as we'll lose the money and he's said I'll have to wait until Jan 30th next year before we can apply again (as that'll be 12 mths full time work experience)! If thats the case we'll have to redo medicals and police checks! Oh what a to do!!!!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 6:22 am
Forum Regular

nursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura aboutnursenancy has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Help! Think I've c@cked up big time!

Originally Posted by nursenancy
Hi there, just some advice needed really on the work experience side of things! My application is all ready, meds, police checks the lot, however, my occupation is worth 60 points and for that I have to be employed for 12 out of the 18 mths immediately before applying. I assumed I'd be ok as I've worked part time (14 hrs) for the past 3 mths, prior to that I had a 3 mth career break, but before that I was employed by the NHS for 13 years! Speaking to a friend in a similar situation it turns out this isn't enough? Is that right? If thats the case what can I do about it? I've increased my hours at work to 30 per week from Jan 30th this year. Hubby reckons I can't submit application as we'll lose the money and he's said I'll have to wait until Jan 30th next year before we can apply again (as that'll be 12 mths full time work experience)! If thats the case we'll have to redo medicals and police checks! Oh what a to do!!!!
Also forgot to add that my employer ref for my part time work doesn't mention my hours, it just states 'bank - as and when', my manager hasn't put any contact details - surely this is something else that'll have to be redone as I thought DIMIA contacted employers to confirm details? Sorry to be a pain!
Old Mar 4th 2005, 6:26 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

I am no expert but I thought the work experience required to be considerd was 20 hours per week. But I dont doubt that the ever helpful modorators will confirm or deny that. I know that when we had my wifes trade assessed (Hairdresser) the 20 hours rule was in effect, but I dont know if this is an across the board thing.

What ever the case I wish yo the best of luck.

Gary

Old Mar 4th 2005, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

I think it has to be at least 20 hrs a week..I think they say this General Skilled Booklet 6.

SS
Old Mar 4th 2005, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

I also worked part time as a midwife when we applied for our visa. I had worked on the bank 2 or 3 night shifts per week in the two years before we applied. My work reference stated that I worked at least 20 hours per week, and we had no problems or queries on this, visa was granted quickly.
Old Mar 4th 2005, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

sharkin is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely if you have worked three months part time and had three month career break and before that worked full time you have worked full time 12 months out of 18?? If it is relevant?
Old Mar 4th 2005, 7:24 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to be bearer of bad news but I read a thread yesterday where JAJ (Moderator) stated that if you have been working part time for 20 hrs a wk or less then in DIMIA's eyes it doesn't count.......
Old Mar 4th 2005, 8:55 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Sorry to be bearer of bad news but I read a thread yesterday where JAJ (Moderator) stated that if you have been working part time for 20 hrs a wk or less then in DIMIA's eyes it doesn't count.......
That's correct. It catches out a lot of nurses who often work part time.

Firstly - get professional advice and work out a strategy with a good agent. Options are likely to boil down to:

- Get back into the workforce for 20 hours per week and after 12 months the points tested visas are open again.
- After 6 months working, you would be eligible for the Skill Matching visa if a state/territory sponsored you
- Also if you have a relative in a designated area sponsoring you, you would usually be eligible after 6 months
- Another option is to find an employer in Australia keen to hire you and sponsor for an employer nominated *permanent* visa (ENS or RSMS). Work experience requirements are different here.

Jeremy
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:07 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hello!
sounds like you have found yourself in the same position as me!!!
I spoke to a migration agent who advised me;
If you have worked for a minimum of 20 hours a week for 12 months out of the last 18 then you will be ok - it doesnt matter if its for several employers, so long as you can provide documentary evidence to back this up (as in a statement of employment from each employer stating what periods you worked what hours) so if you work 10 hours a week in one job, and 10 hours a week on another - as long on the total for each week is 20 you are ok. If not, then unfortunately you are in the same position as me and will have to work for another 12 months at 20 hours a week to satisy the employment rule. Here is a thread where we discussed it on the nurses forum -
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269164
Im now waiting until my boys start school in september to increase my hours to full time, and will have to work for 12 months, but it will give us the opportunity to have a holiday and save some money.
good luck, and if there is any info you need send me a pm!
Sue
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:09 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

just wanted to add that there are several nurses on here who worked less than the 20 hours a week and didnt have a problem getting their visa - and they informed dimia of the problem but still got PR visas.
I personally cant afford to take the risk as im one of those people for whom 'if it can go wrong it will go wrong'!! whatever can possibly go wrong aways happens to me, usually at a huge financial cost, so im not risking it!

sue
Old Mar 4th 2005, 9:56 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
just wanted to add that there are several nurses on here who worked less than the 20 hours a week and didnt have a problem getting their visa - and they informed dimia of the problem but still got PR visas.
I would be very cautious about making statements like that without some hard evidence and knowledge of the cases concerned.

The 20 hour rule is very clear and DIMIA are not known for flexibility.

As I've already mentioned, you can reduce the 12 months to 6 if you get state sponsorship from SA, Vic or Tas and go for the Skill Matching visa.

Jeremy
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:45 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I would be very cautious about making statements like that without some hard evidence and knowledge of the cases concerned.

The 20 hour rule is very clear and DIMIA are not known for flexibility.

As I've already mentioned, you can reduce the 12 months to 6 if you get state sponsorship from SA, Vic or Tas and go for the Skill Matching visa.

Jeremy
i would take it that when she said she knew several nurses. she ment she had known of several. dont think she made it up. she did point out that she wouldnt take the risk herself. good advice
Old Mar 4th 2005, 10:57 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by soapy
i would take it that when she said she knew several nurses. she ment she had known of several. dont think she made it up. she did point out that she wouldnt take the risk herself. good advice
Yeah these were other nurses on the forum who had got away without DIMIA noticing a slight reduction in their hours.

I agree though - the rules are very clear (or perhaps not that clear ) I wouldn't take the risk either.

At one point I though was stuffed but after a careful study of my work patterns for 18months I had 13 out of 18 months at 20+ hours per week.

I enclosed as proof - employer statements including all the info requested in the red box in booklet 6. I also enclosed calander month sheets (for the full time months concerned) that i did myself on the computer, detailing exact agency shifts worked etc, as I was in 2 seperate jobs at the time - agency and a part time contracted job. At the end collumn I totalled the hours worked per week. I basically made it as obvious as possible for my case officer - still waiting to hear *nervously* so I hope everything was ok

Lynn
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:03 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Yeah these were other nurses on the forum who had got away without DIMIA noticing a slight reduction in their hours.

I agree though - the rules are very clear (or perhaps not that clear ) I wouldn't take the risk either.

At one point I though was stuffed but after a careful study of my work patterns for 18months I had 13 out of 18 months at 20+ hours per week.

I enclosed as proof - employer statements including all the info requested in the red box in booklet 6. I also enclosed calander month sheets (for the full time months concerned) that i did myself on the computer, detailing exact agency shifts worked etc, as I was in 2 seperate jobs at the time - agency and a part time contracted job. At the end collumn I totalled the hours worked per week. I basically made it as obvious as possible for my case officer - still waiting to hear *nervously* so I hope everything was ok

Lynn
yeh lynn thats what i was pointing out. she said it was too risky, well thats what i read
Old Mar 4th 2005, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by soapy
yeh lynn thats what i was pointing out. she said it was too risky, well thats what i read

It is too much of a risk to take. Hubby would rather do it properly and honestly, work the 12 mths, redo medicals and police checks then apply jan next year. I've obtained statement of services from employers but the agency one just states; 'dates of employment 14/05/04 to present, hours: bank - as and when'. I was on the books with the bank from 14/05/04 but I never actually did any shifts until jan this year. Prior to that I had a 3 mth career break (unpaid) from my main job before deciding to quit! Ah well back to drawing board. The other things aren't an option for me, I'd rather chill for 12 mths, work my 20hrs a week then apply all over again. If I submit the paperwork as it is and someone in DIMIA 'checks' with my employer my hours, we'll not only lose our application fee but the chance of ever being able to get into oz, its just not worth the risk, is it???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.