Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's The Work Situation Like in Oz at the Moment?

What's The Work Situation Like in Oz at the Moment?

Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:23 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's The Work Situation Like in Oz at the Moment?

Originally Posted by ktyler1961
Quite simply my dear man....because I am British!!
Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:25 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
Honestly? Husband has just been made redundant as has his friend both with different employers one welder other Hardware store.
Husband is going to retrain. Depends whether you'll take any job or if your
occupation is in demand.
Aussies are living with rose tinted glasses that there's no
Recession here :/
Officially there was no recession, that much is true.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I thought you might have mentioned the RBS job losses announced yesterday - just for some of that balance you love so much
Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:50 am
Banned

Old Feb 21st 2014, 8:13 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Which country are you talking about?
Old Feb 21st 2014, 8:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Which country are you talking about?
Australia, the country referred to in the post I quoted.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 8:31 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Australia, the country referred to in the post I quoted.
Sorry wasn't quite sure as you were talking past tense and I thought the post quoted was talking current situation.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 6:03 pm
Moonbeast

ktyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
And?
It's only a joke Dozza (can I call you Dozza?).
It is just a play on the answer you may have received from some pompous old British colonial during the Empire days when the upper class twits regarded being British as somehow superior to other breeds and races.
It's irony, a very common element of the humour from these isles. It's a self deprecating piece of nationalistic humour aimed at the self important, class conscious snobbery and snotty attitude of a generation of the elites of society gone by.
Maybe you have to be British to understand it. Maybe you are, but too far removed now to understand.
(Having said that, we're still the best)
Old Feb 21st 2014, 6:06 pm
Moonbeast

ktyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nicektyler1961 is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
But surely you lose points for being a Mancunian?
Hey! Careful now. You must be a scouser then.
How the hell did you manage to get yours then? Did you pretend you couldn't speak? lol
Old Feb 21st 2014, 6:08 pm
Moonbeast

Originally Posted by TimbersBack
Its a wonder none of the other colonies haven't snapped you up.
Well yes, I see your point mate. You mean like America or someone?
Old Feb 21st 2014, 6:10 pm
Moonbeast

Originally Posted by devxon
Are you serious?
Never been more serious in my life old bean.
Now, where was I? Oh yes...'Oh, the heat......and those damned drums'
Old Feb 21st 2014, 6:15 pm
Moonbeast

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Well I think he was joking a little. On the other hand in some industries a UK training can be well regarded. I find it the case in my industry.
Nice one man. Well we did invent most things didn't we, including civil society.
What industry are you in 'Mudes?
Old Feb 21st 2014, 6:25 pm
Moonbeast

Originally Posted by Jaycee1
Honestly? Husband has just been made redundant as has his friend both with different employers one welder other Hardware store.
Husband is going to retrain. Depends whether you'll take any job or if your
occupation is in demand.
Aussies are living with rose tinted glasses that there's no
Recession here :/
Yes, good answer/comment.
I am afraid that Oz hasn't even began to feel it yet.
On top of what is coming, i.e. economic calamity, the housing market will crash stupendously. Like the Brits, Ozzies are mad for buying their own gaff and their government encourage it to the hilt. It creates lots of money for the already rich you see with their housing loan stimulus packages (see Help to Buy scheme in the UK at present). They suck 'em in and when the interest rates rise and sub-prime lenders find themselves standing in a river of doggie do, it will be carnage. See housing market in Florida USA. Oz is gonna get some of that in the not too distant future. When it comes crashing down they are no where to be seen.
It's a very interesting subject, read 'The Big Short' and that will explain everything.
Anyway, my thread was about getting a job, how did I get on to this? Can yoy give me a job please? Go on...giz a job!
Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:12 pm
Banned

Manc68 is just really niceManc68 is just really niceManc68 is just really niceManc68 is just really niceManc68 is just really niceManc68 is just really niceManc68 is just really niceManc68 is just really nice

Hey cocker! Fellow Manc. Nice one geez! Red or Blue cocker? Also, I believe Hayley died, poor Roy eh (Manc in joke)
Look man, these Aussies don't really understand us man. They don't get it when you say you can do loads of stuff, not just fitting diesel engines cos your a fitter, but also making prams or coaches or aeroplanes or cars or doing shutdown work and so on and so forth. The concept of transferable skills doesn't really hit home here man, not like in the UK where the ability to transfer your knowledge, skills and experience is a top asset to many employers and viewed as such. When you try to explain it to them it is proper hard work.
Personally, I think it's because the Industrial Revolution was born in Britain and we evolved as a supremely skillful, creative and innovative people. Our apprenticeships taught you everything and anything about using your hands in conjunction with your mind. In Oz they never really evolved such a comprehensive system of learning where old blokes would pass on black arts through the generations, father to son, grandfather to grandson and so on. The Aborigines did and look how amazingly aware of nature they are: what skills they have! My point is, no other race could have what the Aborigines have because it was passed down over 60,000 years of generations. The same thing applies to Brits and our the way we see how skills can be transferred. Like a cricketer, say Ian Botham, an all rounder, can do it all. They don't see it so it makes it hard.
Also, they will employ their mate first before a Pom, even if they are completely useless. Nepotism...that will be the downfall of Oz/ They are good at digging holes though, but wait until Africa really begins to get going, Oz will become a rusty old dustbowl and give itself back over to nature.
Anyway, I hope you get sorted man. Give us a shout when you get here, even if your a blue, we'll av a beer kid.
Old Feb 21st 2014, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

@Manc68

What a utter crock of shite.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.