Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Was "What's with these sponsored links"

View Poll Results: Do sponsored links affect your reading of forums?
They pop-up and annoy as much as VIC speed camera cops
84.62%
I don't notice them
15.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Was "What's with these sponsored links"

Old Apr 22nd 2004, 6:33 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dracupg
Still a bit to go before we catch up with the seedy Aussie community though
Ya been Shopping in Canberra?
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Canberra. What a pity the wind didn’t blow towards the parliament last year.
Old Apr 22nd 2004, 6:46 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by bondipom
Ya been Shopping in Canberra?
get us some explosives while you are there .. I'm running low on them ( nice man in back of a van who usually sells me fireworks here in Brissie , didn't show up last time).. I'll be taking to buying "sparklers" in Woolworth's if you don't .. oh the shame! what am I supposed to do with a sparkler... don't answer that!

there's another one for you list.. illegal expllosives/fireworks ! lol
Old Apr 23rd 2004, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

<bump>

==weeeh! *tinkle*
Old Apr 24th 2004, 1:00 am
ABCDiamond

Has anyone had a pop up from http://media.expatinternet.com/netcode/ad_468x60.html today ?

I have had it try to appear twice today, so far, and each time it has frozen my computer, and I needed to re-boot.

It has only appeared while connected to this BritishExpats site.

Old Apr 24th 2004, 11:03 pm

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Has anyone had a pop up from http://media.expatinternet.com/netcode/ad_468x60.html today ?

I have had it try to appear twice today, so far, and each time it has frozen my computer, and I needed to re-boot.

It has only appeared while connected to this BritishExpats site.
What OS and browser? This site works so much better in Mozilla.
Old Apr 24th 2004, 11:08 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by arnie2oz
Someone I know recently sent me an email which had an attachment offerring 000's of smilies free; I couldn't see the catch, clicked the attachment and ended up with Hotbar.

This is a toolbar (two toolbars to be exact) which appears on Outlook Express and then when connecting to the internet in anyway a 'Hotbar toolbar' appears and pop-ups arrive endlessly whatever you do. Each time the bar appears you can click on view, and remove tyhe tick against 'hotbar' but it re-appears when you visit another site.

Hotbar is well known (apparently) as spyware. It is really difficult to remove - the windows uninstall program doesn't recognise it-but there is a good website I found called PC Hell, from where I downloaded an uninstall program - it worked.

However, looking at the PC Hell website could make you very nervous to connect to the internet at all - it lists an enormous number of viruses and spyware problems

:scared: :scared:

Sorry post is so long but i HATE popups and for a short time 'Hotbar' was my nightmare!!

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

I have just managed to get rid of this blinking thing.......took ages to uninstall it.....but got there eventually!

sue
Old Apr 24th 2004, 11:14 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
What OS and browser? This site works so much better in Mozilla.
Win 98.4.10.2222A
&
IE 6.0.2800.1106IS

You keep mentioning Mozilla, I should try it one day, but not having a computer tech to hold my hand these days, I am slightly concerned about stuffing everything up !!

Old Apr 24th 2004, 11:20 pm

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
Win 98.4.10.2222A
&
IE 6.0.2800.1106IS

You keep mentioning Mozilla, I should try it one day, but not having a computer tech to hold my hand these days, I am slightly concerned about stuffing everything up !!
www.mozilla.org It is as simple as dowloading and following the prompts.

I've just gone XP as MS support of Win98 is now almost non existant. Great excuse to buy some RAM but it does seem to need it.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:22 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

toolbars/popups and spyware.. some of the more "common" ones you may find ( hidden by lop)
Start,Run type REGEDIT, search for DUPE, LOP and REM25 delete registry entry
Search for "Mysearch" in explorer, if you find any - delete.

Lop com is one of the worst!!!. ( and getting more sneaky/clever.. they wait dormant on your computer until you download legitimate updates to infest your computer.. it caught me out this way, Zone alarm picked it up. at the time ( a rem25) when I was downloading some updates.. but I must have pressed "yes" to it in the midst of downloading) . I've been hit a few times by them.. by stupid animated attachments so-called friends have sent me ( i.e. trusted sources)..( P.s they did not know it was spyware themselves).

How on earth lop com get away with it I never know.. can't Microsoft send lopcom a virus and blast them out of existence??. They are one big pain the arse.. and a b*gger to find some of their hidden entries and a b*gger to get rid of.. wasting peoples time.. I'd love to get my hands on lopcom.

had some a while back , pest patrol did not find them.. but spyferret did.. had a "dupeway toolbar" and folders.. bugger to get rid of.. so had to fork out for spyferret. Some spyware detector programmes don't pick up all spyware.. my pest patrol didn't., which is usually good for finding other spyware and I knew there something on my computer somewhere.

I'm getting p*ssed off with spending money to find the spyware and such. I swear they create a pest then create a cure - the same people... to make money - it's a conspiracy!.

totally P*sses me off! Totally P*sses me off when I get it from "trusted friends and family" .. One thing I've learnt never press on one of these stupid animated things people send you..no matter if it's your own kin and blood, because they have no clue they have it too.

From P*ssed off