Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's Special about Australian Cities?

What's Special about Australian Cities?

Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:51 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default What's Special about British Cities?

Originally posted by Grayling
By all means paint rosy pictures of New Zealand and Australian cities but do it truthfully.
I have an interest in Architecture and in Rivers (sad maybe).
I spend a lot of time on riverbanks.
(A 'Grayling' is a fish that lives in Clean flowing rivers)

How can you compare a tiny stream like the Avon in Christchuch (NZ) with the Thames or the Wye or the Severn?

Minor point to you but not for me.
It seems part of the constant drip drip of misinformation found on forums like this which fuel unrealistic expectations.

G
Let's turn this around :

What's Special about British Cities? (That is missing from Australian Cities.) In your opinion and as far as you know

And as Grayling points out, it is nice to have examples; Grayling included.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:57 am
What's he asking?

Fuzzyness is an unknown quantity at this point

access to rivers and the right to roam in the UK has evolved through history and hte creation of paths, bridleways and the like that have been there for hundreds of years. not so the case in australia although i dare say some aboriginals may be a bit pissed off with losign some of their rights of way. but hey.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:03 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's Special about British Cities?

Originally posted by Megalania
Let's turn this around :

What's Special about British Cities? (That is missing from Australian Cities.) In your opinion and as far as you know

And as Grayling points out, it is nice to have examples; Grayling included.
I have not said that some Australian cities are not special.
Sydney is spectacular in parts.
So is Oxford where I grew up.And Canterbury,and York,and Harrogate,Bath,Warwick etc.etc.etc.

The original point I made was about rivers and the fact that they are no more 'concretised' than anywhere else in the world or are you going to tell me the Yarra river and the Brisbane river are completely natural waterways?

G
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:16 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

So is Oxford where I grew up.And Canterbury,and York,and Harrogate,Bath,Warwick etc.etc.etc.

The original point I made was about rivers and the fact that they are no more 'concretised' than anywhere else in the world or are you going to tell me the Yarra river and the Brisbane river are completely natural waterways?

G
And I have not said you have said ...

Certainly not like Los Angeles:

Yarra River

And of course cities change rivers - some more than others.

(Note: to add links to web pages and images see the 'http://' and 'IMG' buttons on the 'Post Reply' page. Good links can provide good examples)

Last edited by Megalania; Jan 29th 2004 at 10:19 am.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

G
No, I'm going to tell you that the Yarra river (can't speak recently for Brisbane river because I haven't been there for some time) is a MORE natural waterway (not completely). Go to Melbourne any day and you will see literally tens of thousands of people, jogging, walking, cycling, rowing etc along and in the Yarra. You can walk from the CBD along the river and within 1 mile you will find the Botanical Gardens, Olympic Park, MCG, Melbourne Park etc, etc. Not a guard dog or keep out sign in sight!

But that's an interesting twist on the thread Megs made. I really like all the above cities you have mentioned. It's the feeling of history that you don't get in Australian cities. I can wander around and think to myself, gee that was built, or people were walking along here, x hundred years before the Yorkshireman 'discovered' Australia.

However, it must be said that many of these cities have fantastic centres and not so fantastic surrounding areas. There is a slight contrast between Big Ben, House of Parliament, Tower Bridge etc and Brixton which isn't too far away.

I guess we are just talking city centres though. For me, some of the most spectacular city centres I've seen are Edinburgh, Salzburg, and Sydney.

It's an interesting debate though.

OzTennis
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Looks more natural to me:

http://www.upfromaustralia.com/onyarrivmel.html

OzTennis
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:33 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis

However, it must be said that many of these cities have fantastic centres and not so fantastic surrounding areas. There is a slight contrast between Big Ben, House of Parliament, Tower Bridge etc and Brixton which isn't too far away.

I guess we are just talking city centres though. For me, some of the most spectacular city centres I've seen are Edinburgh, Salzburg, and Sydney.

It's an interesting debate though.

OzTennis
Totally agree with you.Urban sprawl is common all over the world.

One of the most natural rivers flowing through a city that I know is the Derwent in Derby,where I work.I would not call Derby a beautiful city though.

I do not think you can compare a city like Oxford with New cities in New Zealand or Australia.They have different qualities.
I used to live in a house built before Australia was colonised.

Manchester has a wealth of history and culture but I would not call it special in any way.

It depends what interests you I suppose.

G
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:36 am
Bitter and twisted

OzTennis
I have been to that park near the bridge.Unfortunately it was pissing down.
Those banks have been built up though.

G
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:47 am
Go Banana's !!

G
Thought Rome was stunning - filthy but beautiful.
Love Bath, Newcastle, Liverpool and Cardiff.
Found Milton Keynes and Peterborough the two most soul- less places to live on this earth.

Just all my opinion.

'Special' is one of those words that depends on your perspective. So if you live somewhere with a pants view of a industrial area - like WBB says he does then anything up from that is better.

Jill

Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

G
Geez, you still think it has been suggested that all rivers in Australian and NZ have completely natural waterways don't you?
:scared: Last comment on rivers, unless you can post a picture of the Thames, Ouse, Taff, Trent, Forth etc, etc in a UK city centre with more parkland and trees. And the obligatory comment about the weather in Melbourne too!

OzTennis
Old Jan 29th 2004, 10:57 am
Banned

I do not think you can compare a city like Oxford with New cities in New Zealand or Australia.They have different qualities.
I used to live in a house built before Australia was colonised.
G
Here we are getting to the guts. What special quality - for you. Perhaps it is evocative?

Oxford: City of Dreaming Spires

-------------

Oxford Bridge of Sighs - Sydney University has one (dunno what its called)

Sydney University Quadrangle.

Last edited by Megalania; Jan 29th 2004 at 11:21 am.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road

OzTennis
Thank you for the excellent link, I've not come across this one before!

sandy
Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally posted by Sandy.l
Thank you for the excellent link, I've not come across this one before!

sandy
'No worries'.

OzTennis
Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:18 am
Home in 2010.

The Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really niceThe Koalas is just really nice
Default Re: What's Special about Australian Cities?

Originally posted by Megalania
OK, so each city around the world has querky differences and specialities but seems to me they are all pretty much all the same - especially those in the Western World.

More of your work in one relative to another ...

But what makes any Australian city stand out beyond the norm?

I lived and worked for 3 years in Sydney City, I never found it very inviting at all. It is unwelcoming and cold hearted. If you are a tourist once you have done the Bridge and the Opera house and wandered through the old city that is it. It has no heart at all. It was originaly bulit purely as a commercial city with offices. It only over the last 10 years became a place to have a drink and socailise at night. Does not matter what time of the day it is the atmosphere is dull amongst those towering buildings. I loved Brisbane it has an open air feeling and has a welcoming atmosphere to it. Sydney is just a dead loss to me and after 2 days seeing the sights the best thing to do is escape.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 11:19 am
Bitter and twisted

Geez, you still think it has been suggested that all rivers in Australian and NZ have completely natural waterways don't you?
:scared: Last comment on rivers, unless you can post a picture of the Thames, Ouse, Taff, Trent, Forth etc, etc in a UK city centre with more parkland and trees. And the obligatory comment about the weather in Melbourne too!

OzTennis
Hey lighten up.
Perhaps I should have added a smiley

It was meant to be a light hearted reply.
And it WAS raining

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.