Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's Special about Australian Cities?

What's Special about Australian Cities?

Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice

This is cheating because it is evocative of a Sydney that is no longer.

Imagine standing of the side footways collecting fares in the rain. So much for Occupational Health and Safety.
Attached Thumbnails What's Special about Australian Cities?-syd1111.jpg  
Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:44 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Naldham House (Brisbane Polo Club):"
Attached Thumbnails What's Special about Australian Cities?-naldham-house.jpg  
Old Jan 27th 2004, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sandy.l is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What's Special about Australian Cities?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dotty
Originally posted by Ceri
Brisbane reminds me of Cardiff in a way..

LOL
I can't believe you've also noticed the similarity! I have spent quite a bit of time in Cardiff as my sister lives there, and I immediately noticed this when I first went to Brisbane!

Even down to the main street being called Queen Street!

I've seen Cardiff change quite considerably over the last fifteen or so years, it's not half as bad as it was. The bay area is really something now. There is always lots going on as well. around the civic centre, and of course there's the Millenium stadium.

When I told my sister about the similarities, she obviously jumped in and said, well why don't you bloody well move here then! (If only I could type that with a beautiful Yorkshire accent tainted by 20 years of living in Cardiff! No offence to any Cardiffians meant - not really - but, well it is a bit raw isn't it?

eh oop, ecky thump.

sandy
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:34 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne has been voted the worlds most livable city (along with Vancouver) they took into account things like open spaces, traffic, crime, facilities etc.
For me its got it all from variable climate (i actually like the season change) to beaches, mountains, snow and lakes all within a stones throw (relativly speaking!) and all the things mentioned in the survey, anyone got the link???
Old Jan 27th 2004, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Bondipom wanted some pics of Adelaide..didnt get to do much today but heres on eof where my husband works which gives an idea of the type of stonework that is very common in Adelaide.
Attached Thumbnails What's Special about Australian Cities?-p1280008x.jpg  
Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:00 pm
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

well it's very difficult to say something is truly unique, but there are some things that make NZ 'cities' different from many cities in the world...

eg

- a relative lack of concrete. ie go to any city in the UK or LA for example and the local rivers are canals - in NZ, it's almost always a natural river with natural river banks etc etc. Same often goes for harbours (apart from ports of course), beaches etc.

- green space. I don't mean human affected gardens and parks. I mean areas of relative wilderness, within or very near to the city limits. Not unique, many cities around the world (including Edinburgh) have this - but I would argue NZ cities have more than average, which makes them unique.

- 'fusion' architecture that is still deciding what it wants to look like.

On Cardiff.... I too was attracted to Cardiff by it's 'surface' - the stadium, new development in city centre, Cardiff Bay, etc etc - but soon realised that was superficial only. Scratch the surface and there is little beneath - a nice city centre is one thing - but not if you can't wander the streets at 1pm on a saturday without seeing everybody already drunk. Beware of any city which has been recently 'redeveloped' I say - it's like giving a rotting house a coat of paint.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jandjuk
well it's very difficult to say something is truly unique, but there are some things that make NZ 'cities' different from many cities in the world...

eg

- a relative lack of concrete. ie go to any city in the UK or LA for example and the local rivers are canals - in NZ, it's almost always a natural river with natural river banks etc etc. Same often goes for harbours (apart from ports of course), beaches etc.
Complete and utter twaddle.

G
Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by podgypossum
i was amazed at the beautiful archtecture in Adelaide when i arrived. I am not into "buildings" as such, but it really does give a city its "personality" I think Adelaide is quite unique because of it, the Victorian and other eye pleasing buildings, along with lots of shady treelined streets gives it a great appeal i think.

Yes I agree P.P it is a beautiful city, with lovely archtecture,I live in the Adelaide hills, and there are beautiful old homes in this area.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon it might be a tad difficult to find a lot of uniqueness in cities mostly named after English gentry eg Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, in states such as (Queen) Victoria, QUEENSland, new SOUTH WALES etc where they named things and built things to remind them of home. Where I come from was founded in 1835 before Queen Vic so it is imaginatively named WILLIAMstown.

Diverging - has the postman arrived in OLD South Wales WBB?

Some of the main streets in the Melbourne CBD include Queen, Elizabeth, King, William, Victoria and then others are named after explorers, governors etc Collins, Bourke, Lonsdale, LaTrobe etc. Suburb names such as Brighton, Kew, Camberwell, Chelsea, Carlton, Preston etc ..... etc predominate. We refer to the 'Paris end' of Collins Street (BTW buildings in Collins and Spring Streets are my nominations for 'Prince Charles approved' architecture).

As someone else what you find in Australian cities is very much fusion architecture and I guess the so-called Federation style of house building was the first attempt to not mimic blighty.

Just a few thoughts FWIW - it's an interesting thread Megs. I haven't seen the kelpie statue in Casterton yet but I look forward to that as we'll probably be over the Grampians (another Scottish reminder!) and Western District way next visit. I've seen the dog on the tucker box at Gundagai and Greyfriars Bobby in Edinburgh!

OzTennis
Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:38 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grayling

G

You'll have to elaborate I'm afraid!!
Old Jan 27th 2004, 11:48 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by OzTennis
... I've seen the dog on the tucker box at Gundagai and Greyfriars Bobby in Edinburgh!

OzTennis

Greyfriars Bobby, Edinburgh
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:04 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

G
nice well argued and reasoned reply. You've convinced me...

Now please do tell me why....
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:06 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simone82

You'll have to elaborate I'm afraid!!
A ridiculous and inaccurate statement about UK cities and rivers.

About as daft as comparing LA to any city in New Zealand or Britain for that matter.

G
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

mozzie will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by hevs
...anyone got the link???
The Economist and BBC
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:41 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

A ridiculous and inaccurate statement about UK cities and rivers.

About as daft as comparing LA to any city in New Zealand or Britain for that matter.

G
well it was the first thing that struck me about UK cities. maybe you don't see it as you've grown up with it. there are much less human modifications to the environment in and around cities in NZ than other parts of the world. Mostly because of history and population density - and it will change - but at the moment I don't think that is an innaccurate comment.

I'm not saying these isn't plenty of concrete in NZ cities, and also not there aren't rivers in Britain that aren't concreteified - but as a general observation I stand by it.

aren't we comparing cities around the world to find out what's unique? you're sounding a bit daft yourself....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.