Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's the 'Real Deal' ???

What's the 'Real Deal' ???

Old Mar 9th 2003, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Big Kahuna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What's the 'Real Deal' ???

I keep reading posts about low wages (quote Dotty: " 23% of men aged 22-44 earn less than $300 per week on the Sunshine Coast"). Just what sort of jobs are these people doing ?. Are they working 40 hour weeks or 14 ?.

Most people I have spoken too that have spent time in Oz are telling me that "If you are willing to work then you will earn pretty well". People that are prepared to work hard and not shirk are appreciated. My brother who spent 6 months in Queensland a couple of years back had a pal earning $1700 per week driving a tractor on a melon farm !. I'm in the building trade here (UK) where currently most people are earning good wages through hard work, however there are some who would rather spend less time on site and more time in the pub and consequently earn very little.

IF we make the decision to go to Oz, with our 3 young kids, then we have to be prepared to 'Do whatever it takes' (God , now I sound like an Amway distributor ! - I hear that's big out there too ). If I have to change my line of work and go tractor driving , then that's what I'll do.

Oh well gotta take the kids to Rugby now, (just getting them prepared )

Big Kahuna
Old Mar 9th 2003, 3:24 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

The Sunshine Coast is a major holiday destination for Aussies as well as loads of other nationalities. It has the good surfing excellent weather and nice beaches as well, as such it attracts a disproportional number of young people who only work to earn enough to eat and keep a roof over their heads the rest of the time is spent surfing and sunbathing. As a tourist area it also has loads of cafe's and food courts employing low paid youngsters all of which contribute to a low paid average work force.
UK resorts suffer similar problems and at one time the government was talking of introducing legislation to stop young people migrating to holiday destinations in the summer and claiming the dole whilst sunbathing. Our local paper was full of stories of malingering youths moving to the coast to claim benefits at one time, then the next cause to champion came along and it was all forgotten.
Sean
Old Mar 9th 2003, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What's the 'Real Deal' ???

Our friends in Adelaide tell us at the moment that trades people are difficult to get at the moment and they are charging the earth and are still busy. They have delayed building an extension as it will cost more than it should. Looks like trades are in demand & you should have it easy...

Mash..
Originally posted by Big Kahuna
I keep reading posts about low wages (quote Dotty: " 23% of men aged 22-44 earn less than $300 per week on the Sunshine Coast"). Just what sort of jobs are these people doing ?. Are they working 40 hour weeks or 14 ?.

Most people I have spoken too that have spent time in Oz are telling me that "If you are willing to work then you will earn pretty well". People that are prepared to work hard and not shirk are appreciated. My brother who spent 6 months in Queensland a couple of years back had a pal earning $1700 per week driving a tractor on a melon farm !. I'm in the building trade here (UK) where currently most people are earning good wages through hard work, however there are some who would rather spend less time on site and more time in the pub and consequently earn very little.

IF we make the decision to go to Oz, with our 3 young kids, then we have to be prepared to 'Do whatever it takes' (God , now I sound like an Amway distributor ! - I hear that's big out there too ). If I have to change my line of work and go tractor driving , then that's what I'll do.

Oh well gotta take the kids to Rugby now, (just getting them prepared )

Big Kahuna
Old Mar 9th 2003, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

anzen12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have recently completed an extension in Sydney and the tradesmen were charging between $15 - $20 hr (labourers) and $40 hr (plumber/electrician). They would usually start at 7.00am and finish about 3.00pm with the usual tea/lunch breaks.

There is a lot of work about in Sydney because so many people are trying to cash in on the housing boom and flats seem to be going up everywhere. However, it will probably slow down soon, so it is difficult to predict what it will be like next year.