Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's IT like now in Brisbane

What's IT like now in Brisbane

Old Apr 25th 2006, 3:03 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's IT like now in Brisbane

Does anyone in Brisbane, who is in IT, see any improvement in the IT job market?

I've got 11 years of C++ (mostly Windows and a bit of cross-platform and UNIX) and recent skills including things like XSL(T) and SSH client development (i.e. SFTP client as an example).

I am worried that I will simply not be able to find work when we get there but we don't want to move to Sydney or Melbourne.

Cheers.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

FloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant futureFloridaLee has a brilliant future
Default Re: What's IT like now in Brisbane

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Does anyone in Brisbane, who is in IT, see any improvement in the IT job market?

I've got 11 years of C++ (mostly Windows and a bit of cross-platform and UNIX) and recent skills including things like XSL(T) and SSH client development (i.e. SFTP client as an example).

I am worried that I will simply not be able to find work when we get there but we don't want to move to Sydney or Melbourne.

Cheers.

As I'm not in Oz yet I can't tell you personally what it's like, however you can check out how many job vacancies and current salaries online : http://www.seek.com.au/

I did a quick search for my skill set and it threw up alot of jobs. i think the overall IT sector around Brisbane is quite good at the moment.

Hope that helps a little

Lee
Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:31 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Any improvement since when? 2 years ago it took Jim less than a week to find work. He's a J2EE developer with all kind of other things thrown in. If your skills are up to date, as a programmer, you shouldn't have too much problem. I was an IBM mainframe programmer :scared: and there's not a chance in hell of me ever finding IT work!

Take the other poster's advice and keep an eye on the Seek website. As a rough guide, Brisbane IT salaries are about half those in the South East of England.

Jane
Old Apr 25th 2006, 11:36 pm
We're here in Brissie

Fionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really niceFionast is just really nice

Cheers.
Check out this link. I found about a dozen jobs matching my skills the other day.

http://www.overseas-experience.com/a...-resources.htm

Fiona
Old Apr 26th 2006, 1:44 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i'm not going to say anything about the state of the market in brisbane, i put a hold to looking for the moment, but when i dipped my toes to see how things were, it turned out that a lot of the adverts on seek were 'fake' ads just so the agencies get your details on their books, so when they try to sell their services to employers they can say they have X,000 clients on their books.

one place even said there wasn't a rush to get my application in as the person they were dealing with was going on paternity leave for 2 weeks. as if.

anyway, as previous posters have said, if you are in a demand skill (such as j2ee and weblogic - my firm can't find anyone and have been looking for ages) and not a windows support person, i think there are jobs around. still nowhere near sydney/melbourne, and worryingly, the same job in melbourne will earn around 30-40% more salary for roughly the same cost of living.

if the weather wasn't so miserable in melbourne i'd pack up right now and head down there.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 10:03 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
if the weather wasn't so miserable in melbourne i'd pack up right now and head down there.

LOL...That's our conundrum too....(except for we've got a lot further to travel )