Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

whats it like at East Rockingham

whats it like at East Rockingham

Old Feb 16th 2013, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

leapip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default whats it like at East Rockingham

Anyone live here? i noticed the rental property is cheaper, looks nice.. But anyone know a bit more?
Old Feb 16th 2013, 9:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: whats it like at East Rockingham

Originally Posted by leapip
Anyone live here? i noticed the rental property is cheaper, looks nice.. But anyone know a bit more?
Rockingham doesn't have a great reputation. Pockets of it are very nice, but there's usually a reason real estate is cheap.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Yeah.. That's what I was thinking... The house looked too goo to be true.. Thanks
Old Feb 18th 2013, 3:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

East Rockingham was once a rundown area, which consisted mainly of not so pretty holiday homes, when Margaret River was not an option because too far. That is 50-60 years ago. In the last 10-15 years, a number of houses have been pulled down and have been replaced by townhouses and just newer houses. The blocks of the old houses are large, with the front garden bigger than the backyard.

People in general resist change, no matter what it is and therefore the area will continue to have a not so good reputation in their mind because of what it was. I dare to say, nobody on the forum actually lives there. I do believe that the area is quiet because at three sides you can't get anywhere, so no drive-through traffic.

Personally i would not move to East Rockingham because of grocery shopping (supermarket shopping in Rockingham shopping centre is not my thing). Non-locals will say that the area is next to industrial activities north if it. The closest to it is the grain terminal, everything further, refineries and the likes have no impact.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I live in rockingham, one of several on here in the area who positively benefits from historical prejudices from people who don't know the area as it is today..

There are pockets that you shouldn't touch with a barge pole... And pockets of paradise.. Surrounded by perfectly decent areas.... Just like most suburbs.

It's not all new build estate and fish n chip shops... And being a well established area there is PLENTY going on for kids....

I currently work in the city..and it's an easy commute by train... Likewise the major sporting events in perf are easily accessible and shopping... But let's face bit there is a LOT more to life than David jones, myers and hardly normal... Decent butcher, farmers markets and easy access ....
Old Feb 18th 2013, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks people.. good info..
Old Feb 18th 2013, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

the latest census gives you another clue who lives there (median weekly income $516) http://www.censusdata.abs.gov.au/cen...ent&navpos=220

Residents are more likely oldies, either because they lived there all their lives or some just want to go for a swim every morning.