Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's the law in Oz for child seats?

What's the law in Oz for child seats?

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:32 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the law in Oz for child seats?

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Beth going off subject but I would like to wish you and your family all the best for your new life. We are about to jump so I think I know what you are going through and I would like to say, well done, be brave and even if its not what you hoped well done for taking on the life experience.

These words I hope will provide support, something I have not had at all.
My husband has just left the British Forces (thank goodness as life was becoming too dangerous and stressful). We have lived a secure and finacially protected life in the forces and its been good to us. Leaving a secure job and a guaranteed roof over our heads is so so scarey. Our hopes and dreams that we will make it in Oz for our kids sake are our hope.

Beth be strong and enjoy your adventure and never count the cost as when this life comes to an end no one prints a bank statement and places it on your headstone and says "she had a good life look how well she did".

All the best for the future,

Cheryl
Aaaaahhhh thanks Cheryl
Yeah I know what you mean about being scared.......it would be much easier to stay here
Love the bit about 'no-one prints a bank statement and places it on your headstone'!!!! How true is that!!!
Really hope things work out for you too......glad someone else feels as scared as I do right now
Keep in touch and let us know how you get on
Beth x x
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Just wondering if we need child seats in the car in Oz for my girls?
In the UK my 11 & 12 year olds don't need them, my 8 year old has a booster seat, and my 3 year old has the full car seat with 3 point harness plus seat belt to hold the seat in place.
Do I need to take them with me.....and are they the standard seats in Oz?
More excess baggage on the plane if I do take them
Beth x x
Check out www.kidsafewa.com.au if you are heading for WA.

We used them to fit our kids Australian bought car seats and to hire a car seat for my friends little girl. The hired seat was very very clean, service fantastic and very very cheap.

Hope this helps someone
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this will help.

We have a normal carseat for our 12 month old, but for our second car we bought a maxi rider (safe and sound by britax I think).

It suits 8kg to 26 kg so roughly 9 months to 4/5 years. We paid about 300 dollars for it- is a great seat and needs an adult seat belt plus an anchor point in the car. Most new cars have the anchor points, so fitting it takes minutes (if you are a woman and read the instructions, or hours if you are my hubby and don't bother!)
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 12:20 am
looking for an easy life!

IanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to all

does anyone know if the booster seat with and witout hight backs have to be anchored to the car or do they just rely on seat belt like the UK. I know the younger seats do but was just exporing options??
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

For my 3 YO and 5 YO we used high backed booster seats that just attach with the seatbelt. They can be bought here for about $65 but are not that easy to find! A taxi firm recently refused to provide a booster for my 5YO stating that it wasnt necessary. (Presumably by law)
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:16 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Booster seats that are strapped in permenantly are called maxi riders here

Smaller baby car seats from the UK may look better but overhere the seats actually have to be "bolted" to the car and evey car has to have an anchor point to attach the car seats to. UK car seats do not have the anchor. The Aussie seats are anchored in AND have the seat belt through them, WAY safer (if a huge amount more hassle) than UK seats.

E bay sells maxi riders, i'll do a search...

Last edited by hevs; Feb 23rd 2008 at 8:21 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:17 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

This is a good pic and may explain it better.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Safe-n-Sound-...QQcmdZViewItem
Great for 3 year olds

If you look at the small pic of the back of the seat, the "V" shape belt is the bit that attatches to the anchor point.

There are also the strap in type of boosters, like this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-BAR...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by hevs; Feb 23rd 2008 at 8:22 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:20 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by IanJakeCharlieDaddy
Hi when we went to oz we where not happy with the quility of how much they moved around the car from side to side
Then it wasn't fitted properly. The seat should not move at all
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:28 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
This is a good pic and may explain it better.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Safe-n-Sound-...QQcmdZViewItem
Great for 3 year olds

If you look at the small pic of the back of the seat, the "V" shape belt is the bit that attatches to the anchor point.

There are also the strap in type of boosters, like this
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BRAND-NEW-BAR...QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks for the advice
Sounds much better now you've explained things
Beth x x