Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's the law in Oz for child seats?

What's the law in Oz for child seats?

Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:25 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's the law in Oz for child seats?

Just wondering if we need child seats in the car in Oz for my girls?
In the UK my 11 & 12 year olds don't need them, my 8 year old has a booster seat, and my 3 year old has the full car seat with 3 point harness plus seat belt to hold the seat in place.
Do I need to take them with me.....and are they the standard seats in Oz?
More excess baggage on the plane if I do take them
Beth x x
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the law in Oz for child seats?

Your seat for the 3 year old won't be legal here and you won't be able to use it. The older kids won't need one, just the car seat but you will probably need a new booster seat for the tiddler.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 9:39 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Your seat for the 3 year old won't be legal here and you won't be able to use it. The older kids won't need one, just the car seat but you will probably need a new booster seat for the tiddler.
OK thanks. Knowing my luck the police will stop us as we drive from the airport in the hire car, and we wouldn't have gone to buy a new car seat for the little one
Beth x x
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
OK thanks. Knowing my luck the police will stop us as we drive from the airport in the hire car, and we wouldn't have gone to buy a new car seat for the little one
Beth x x
Hi Beth, when we went in November / Dec for our validation trip we hired with our hire car a booster for my 4 year old and a babyseat for the 1 year old. The hire company only charged a few dollars a day for their hire. Might be worth doing that for a few days until you get a chance to buy them....book them at the same time as you book your hire car.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:23 am
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by travelbug
Hi Beth, when we went in November / Dec for our validation trip we hired with our hire car a booster for my 4 year old and a babyseat for the 1 year old. The hire company only charged a few dollars a day for their hire. Might be worth doing that for a few days until you get a chance to buy them....book them at the same time as you book your hire car.
Thanks Cathy
It seems the things we take for granted in the UK are causing me the biggest worries for when we get to Oz
Beth x x
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Thanks Cathy
It seems the things we take for granted in the UK are causing me the biggest worries for when we get to Oz
Beth x x
I know what you mean! The thing is - we have duplicate car seats over here from when my Mum used to drive our kids about - and we know we'll get peanuts for them even though we paid quite a lot for them if we sell them as we cant use them in Oz.... We're planning on just hiring seats initially until we buy our car hopefully the 1st week of arriving then we'll have to fork out for a booster and another car seat again! What a pain eh? Going on what the seats were like from our carhire company i'm confident that our UK ones were a 100times better - it's so annoying!!!
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:44 am
Make it happen!!!!

I know what you mean! The thing is - we have duplicate car seats over here from when my Mum used to drive our kids about - and we know we'll get peanuts for them even though we paid quite a lot for them if we sell them as we cant use them in Oz.... We're planning on just hiring seats initially until we buy our car hopefully the 1st week of arriving then we'll have to fork out for a booster and another car seat again! What a pain eh? Going on what the seats were like from our carhire company i'm confident that our UK ones were a 100times better - it's so annoying!!!
We also paid big bucks for our car seats. Oh well......we will have to hire a car seat for a while
Beth x x
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

The high backed booster seats that you just use the car seat belt with.
In OZ does that seat have a tether/anchor or is it just the 5 point harness variety. Thanks
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:20 am
looking for an easy life!

IanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to all

Hi when we went to oz we where not happy with the quility of how much they moved around the car from side to side and we have recaro seat in the uk and want to take them with us, does this mean its againist the law to use them. My little ones are 2 and 4 and we are not happy with just using a booster seat as we have taken alot of time and trouble in getting the best over her.
Sorry to babble I am just a very troubled parent who wants to keep the safe in the car. Does anyone know of any good quility seats(makes) and where to buy them if we really can't take them. many thanks
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by IanJakeCharlieDaddy
Hi when we went to oz we where not happy with the quility of how much they moved around the car from side to side and we have recaro seat in the uk and want to take them with us, does this mean its againist the law to use them. My little ones are 2 and 4 and we are not happy with just using a booster seat as we have taken alot of time and trouble in getting the best over her.
Sorry to babble I am just a very troubled parent who wants to keep the safe in the car. Does anyone know of any good quility seats(makes) and where to buy them if we really can't take them. many thanks
uk seats are not legal in oz.. if you were in an accident it would affect your insurence.
I'm not sure of any good makes.. Someone on this forum mentioned safe and sound.
I found a an oz website on it was a britax highliner high backed booster exactly the same as you would get here only the price was $200
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:32 am

IanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to allIanJakeCharlieDaddy is a name known to all

sorry to be silly but how does it effect your insurance, does it mean if the car crashed the seat would not be covered and they would not replace or that the insurance becomes void or car will not be insured or the people in the seats aren't insured? sorry just very confused
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:42 am

sorry just read a oz insurance policy its seems that its only the car seats that won't be covered un the policy effects is this right??, so the car will still be covered. sorry we are off in 11 wks and at the moment the 2 seats are taking up 1 baggage allowence.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:46 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

sorry just read a oz insurance policy its seems that its only the car seats that won't be covered un the policy effects is this right??, so the car will still be covered. sorry we are off in 11 wks and at the moment the 2 seats are taking up 1 baggage allowence.
If you were in an accident and god forbid your child was killed then insurance would not pay up because the seat did not meet Australian standards. You may be right and they may fix the car but if you wanted to claim for anything to do with the loss of your child then your insurance would be invalid.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

This site will give you some info :-

www.childcarrestraints.com.au

Old Feb 21st 2008, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

This site will give you some info :-

www.childcarrestraints.com.au

under the frequently asked questions was :

Can I use a restraint from overseas?
Only restraints that meet the Australian Standard for child restraints can be used legally in Western Australia. It is also illegal to sell or hire restraints that do not meet at least the 1991 version of this standard. Australian Standard restraints can be identified in two major ways. Firstly they all fasten to the vehicle not only by means of the seat belt, but also by means of a tether strap that is attached to an anchor fitting bolted into and anchorage point in the vehicle. Secondly they carry an Australian Standards Mark sticker marked AS 1754. This sticker is a guarantee that the product will provide the best protection possible from injury in a crash if it is correctly installed and used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.