Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats good about England?

Whats good about England?

Old Jan 31st 2004, 10:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by simbacat
I understand what you are saying, but you have to admit most people can't chose where they are working and also can't chose where they are living. Since most of the time it is your purse which will determine where you can live.
Places such as Oxford are also VERY expensive to live in Nowadays.

G
Old Jan 31st 2004, 11:15 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats good about England?

Originally posted by glhall
Apart from the fact that you were born and brought up there and its "home" what is good about England? Ive been there and to alot of other places and I dont understand what there is to go back to.

Graham
golf courses i think we have some fantastic golf course`s in blighty
Old Jan 31st 2004, 11:21 pm
Banned

userjay will become famous soon enough

apart from being one of the bastions of global civilisation derrr (a time long gone) our sense of humour is superb but that aside i want sun ffs
Old Feb 1st 2004, 12:54 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Banksia
When you look into it you find other people saying taxes are higher in the UK. Sometime this is a bare assertion, other times it is based on the percentage of GDP which comes through the public sector. I would have thought this is the only really reliable way of assessing the accuracy of any statement relating to comparative tax burdens.
I think the Economist's yearly comparisons of GDP per capita using PPP (purchasing power parity) are the best guides to what value your earnings have in any particular country, taken in tandem with figures on the overall tax burden.
Old Feb 1st 2004, 2:25 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Amsterdam has a brilliant transport system, and great cycle-ways which actually mean something.... not like the deathtrap roads in the uk for cyclists. iirc in Oz it`s illegal to ride on the road, and of course they brought in the law to always wear a helmet.

A stupid law they were thinking about in W.A. I heard was for cars to have their headlights on ALL the time...... how hard is a car to see in the sunshine? In England you only do it when the light is dim.... like the Aussie politicians.

I love the roads in the UK for one thing though... they`re bloody interesting and twisty turny... not like in Perth where it`s all on a big grid. Downside is that alot fo roads here have multiple names.... which makes it a bitch if you don`t know the area

Like I said... can`t beat the scenery here though... driving down a bendy hill country lane with huge trees overhanging the road like some huge archway.... luvverly.

Oh, and yeah the UK humour is the best in the world.... I hope Aus still has the same humour (it used to).
Old Feb 1st 2004, 2:33 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by Stormz
Amsterdam has a brilliant transport system, and great cycle-ways which actually mean something.... not like the deathtrap roads in the uk for cyclists. iirc in Oz it`s illegal to ride on the road, and of course they brought in the law to always wear a helmet.

A stupid law they were thinking about in W.A. I heard was for cars to have their headlights on ALL the time...... how hard is a car to see in the sunshine? In England you only do it when the light is dim.... like the Aussie politicians.

I love the roads in the UK for one thing though... they`re bloody interesting and twisty turny... not like in Perth where it`s all on a big grid. Downside is that alot fo roads here have multiple names.... which makes it a bitch if you don`t know the area

Like I said... can`t beat the scenery here though... driving down a bendy hill country lane with huge trees overhanging the road like some huge archway.... luvverly.

Oh, and yeah the UK humour is the best in the world.... I hope Aus still has the same humour (it used to).
They have brought out something called 'daylight driving lamps" not sure if all cars will have to have them fitted, but it would not suprise me.

Old Feb 1st 2004, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

That's an understatement-we naively came here thinking there would be far less traffic and that is what people had said too-wrong!

Just as much traffic here on the freeways as in the South East of England-our experiences and very true.

[i]

I think you'll find they have a bit of traffic in Oz as well....
Old Feb 1st 2004, 8:39 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Stormz
That rule already exists in certain European countries and has been proven to reduce accidents.

It certainly works with motorbikes.

I don't think it's that stupid.
Old Feb 1st 2004, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Whats good about UK?

Its history, a extremely colourful past.

That I'm afraid is all the UK lives on nowadays.