Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats going on with the rates

Whats going on with the rates

Old Mar 24th 2006, 10:30 pm
still searching

woody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nicewoody1974 is just really nice
Default Whats going on with the rates

have just checked the rates for the first time since we arrived in aus and they have gone mad, has anyone got any idea why this has happened or should we just be thankful that its this high at present.

any financial experts on here.

Andy

hope it doesn't change before monday now lol

Old Mar 25th 2006, 1:33 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats going on with the rates

They are limited to a 3.6% rise here in NSW but because of caps over the past few years the infrastructure is in a parlous state.

Last edited by Wol; Mar 25th 2006 at 1:34 am. Reason: typo
Old Mar 25th 2006, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

There's a stuff up somewhere, we haven't received a rate bill for 18 months.

Fortunately, I've been saving away money every month to pay for it. It is alot cheaper than what we paid in council tax.

Badge
Old Mar 25th 2006, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
There's a stuff up somewhere, we haven't received a rate bill for 18 months.

Fortunately, I've been saving away money every month to pay for it. It is alot cheaper than what we paid in council tax.

Badge

Guys...I think the OP meant FX rates.

The AUD$ has weakened primarily against the:

1. $USD - due to pressure to increase interest rates over there
2. YEN - More money being pumped into Japan due to end of deflation and interest rate increases on the horizion in Japan
3. Negative outlook for NZ economy = tarnishing the outlook on the Ozzie economy
4. No interest rate hikes on the horizon in Australia

The AUD$ buys $0.715 USD, and I read an article somewhere that 'experts' reckon that by the end of the year it will be around $0.69USD

All thing being equal....I expect a trading range of between $2.50 to $2.60 in the last quarter of 2006. (i hope ;-)

TC
Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:10 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

i can understand why they might want to buy yen ,but the american housing is down for the last 4 months and this months figures in the states has stated this last month for housing starts is the worst in 9 years ,i cant for the life of me understand why the states would want to put interest rates up causing a runon the pacific peso ,it will only stagnate there housing economy more .Any experts out there.I know they are thinking of putting rates up in the european union but how would this affect the housing economy and for all those still in the uk i would like to get a general view on the housing situation as we are returning and with the AUD dropping the last thing we want to see is price rises go throught he roof in the uk

Last edited by sassenach; Mar 25th 2006 at 8:30 am.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of

It was on the bbc 6oclock news yesterday that the house prices in the uk have rose the most in the last month the most for two years, I myself don't see this though looking at property in the paper it's the same.
Old Mar 25th 2006, 10:01 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woody1974
have just checked the rates for the first time since we arrived in aus and they have gone mad, has anyone got any idea why this has happened or should we just be thankful that its this high at present.

any financial experts on here.

Andy

hope it doesn't change before monday now lol

Australian Dollar: Yesterdays price action saw the AUD attempt a rally towards 0.7230 but it fell short at 0.7215 before pulling back to sit at around 0.7165 heading into London trading. Offshore markets pushed the Aussie below support at 0.7150 trading as low as 0.7135 before bouncing to open the days trading around 0.7145 this morning. Stronger than expected U.S economic data overnight saw the focus switch back to U.S interest rates with some analysts now forecasting U.S interest rates above 5% by the end of 2006. Recent price action has seen Australian corporate’s, buyers of AUD, going into battle with U.S investment houses and hedge funds who have been strong sellers. It is obvious the offshore names have been winning the fight but the big question is; how long will they persist? Once they have finished unwinding and initiating new positions only then are we likely to see any sort of sustained rally on the Australian dollar.

- We expect a range today in the AUD/USD rate of 0.7120 to 0.7170.

straight from the experts web site my dears
Old Mar 25th 2006, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
Australian Dollar: Yesterdays price action saw the AUD attempt a rally towards 0.7230 but it fell short at 0.7215 before pulling back to sit at around 0.7165 heading into London trading. Offshore markets pushed the Aussie below support at 0.7150 trading as low as 0.7135 before bouncing to open the days trading around 0.7145 this morning. Stronger than expected U.S economic data overnight saw the focus switch back to U.S interest rates with some analysts now forecasting U.S interest rates above 5% by the end of 2006. Recent price action has seen Australian corporate’s, buyers of AUD, going into battle with U.S investment houses and hedge funds who have been strong sellers. It is obvious the offshore names have been winning the fight but the big question is; how long will they persist? Once they have finished unwinding and initiating new positions only then are we likely to see any sort of sustained rally on the Australian dollar.

- We expect a range today in the AUD/USD rate of 0.7120 to 0.7170.

straight from the experts web site my dears
Maybe...but I'm afraid that makes no sense to most people...which is why I tried to put something in simple terminology.

TC