Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whats Darwin like?

Whats Darwin like?

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:05 am
Banned

mono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond reputemono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whats Darwin like?

Originally Posted by Pozz
We had been planning to head to Perth but now having a peek at other areas.... especially since my OH watched WDU the other day and quite liked the look of Darwin.

Having never been to Darwin, what is it like.... compared to other areas of Oz?

Almost certainly awful.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:06 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mono
Almost certainly awful.
That's helpful.

Not.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

It's got some people with issues:
http://www.watoday.com.au/national/f...ml?autostart=1
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Where doesn't?

I was in a Woolies in Brisbane once when some morons decided to mix up some of the pool chemicals for kicks. Next thing you know there's clouds of chlorine like gas spreading through the store.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:26 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
All lizards in OZ are non-venomous, so theres nothing to worry about if you see one.
Not true, the bite of the monitor lizard is venomous.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Where doesn't?

I was in a Woolies in Brisbane once when some morons decided to mix up some of the pool chemicals for kicks. Next thing you know there's clouds of chlorine like gas spreading through the store.
Sure, but I think this is slightly more serious!
Old Feb 4th 2010, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
Be wary of dodgy types at the shopping centres in Darwin, that's for sure....
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...-1225826377187

It certainly appears to be a bit more lawless up there !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_i...hern_Territory

Never been there myself, so this is all perception based. The reality may be completely different...
A shopping trolley was used to carry the explosives. Shopping trolleys is something you will find everywhere in Darwin, and now this. Like it was just waiting for it to happen. Strange place, thats for sure.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Willoughby is an unknown quantity at this point

Warm; very sultry in the wet, much like maritime SE Asia. You'll have to accept the terrible BO on a lot of people... and even little kids!

House prices have been in SEVERE-BUBBLE territory for some time and it's only getting worse due to the very low interest rates and slow land release by the NT Govt.

Government-driven. The economy is hugely dependent on the NT Govt, and therefore Federal since we're a territory. Public servants galore! 37% of the NT's budget is spent on wages.
If the buying from China of the NT's minerals slows this would be very dangerous for Darwin and the local economy.

Highest alcohol consumption rates here, and it shows in the health and police stats.

Excellent place if you like nature and fishing.

Attached is 8 capital city house price index, as you can see Darwin's bubble is being blown the biggest and is very dangerous with fallout likely over the next three years.
Attached Thumbnails Whats Darwin like?-8auscities.png  

Last edited by Willoughby; Feb 4th 2010 at 5:15 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:56 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perthine
A shopping trolley was used to carry the explosives. Shopping trolleys is something you will find everywhere in Darwin, and now this. Like it was just waiting for it to happen. Strange place, thats for sure.
I have heard shopping trolleys are also available in other towns and cities now.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Perthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant futurePerthine has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I have heard shopping trolleys are also available in other towns and cities now.
You mean you can find a shopping trolley just in front of your house, like in Darwin? Or in the park across the street, or on the beach, or ... How convenient for you. In Perth we actually have to go to a shopping centre to get one
Old Feb 5th 2010, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

With shopping trolleys everywhere, I mean EVERYWHERE, every possible place you can think of, and not just the shopping centres.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

I like Darwin, I've been here 3 and a bit years with my family and we all love it.
The wet season is fine really, loads of rain, mostly in the afternoon which saves using aircon to cool the house.

The Dry is perfection - bright sunny days, cool evenings and no rain for 4 months almost guaranteed.

Work wise, there are lots of jobs, construction, plumbing, IT etc. Plenty of shops around too. We have ADSL2 and internet shopping is available for stuff not readily available (I bought a 20 metre fence and gate from Victoria online and it was delivered within 2 weeks, delivery was about $300 I think)

The isolation is not that bad really, it means a lot of the congestion seen in other cities is almost non-existant ( I get annoyed with a 2 minute wait at a junction now!)

The firebombing in the Insurance Office could have happened anywhere really, it was a disgruntled claimant who clearly has 'issues'. The fact that it has made big news is probably due to the fact that not that much really happens up here, compared to other places. Yes, people have been eaten by crocs, stung by jellyfish etc. but there is a fair amount of 'Darwinism' when that happens (nice pun eh!)

If you are a latte sipping, yuppie who needs a Myer Store and a suburb of boutique shops to feel happy, don't come to darwin. If you can handle a few nice restaurants, a few drunken louts every now and then and a nice relaxed lifestyle, Darwin is the place

Check out the northern territory news for local stories, it isn't all bad..

Oh, and I don't see many shopping trolleys around the place - where are you looking Perthine?

Not that I'm biased of course
Old Feb 5th 2010, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by njk435
Oh, and I don't see many shopping trolleys around the place - where are you looking Perthine?

Not that I'm biased of course
Why does the Darwin council bother then http://www.darwin.nt.gov.au/aboutdar...s/Trolleys.pdf

Some people obviously see more than others http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...20/2469873.htm

Last edited by Perthine; Feb 5th 2010 at 10:57 am.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 11:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Why does the Darwin council bother then http://www.darwin.nt.gov.au/aboutdar...s/Trolleys.pdf

Some people obviously see more than others http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...20/2469873.htm
Perhaps for the same reason that, for example, the City of Joondalup would consider having a 'Abandoned Shopping Trolleys Local Law Amendment'.

http://trans.joondalup.wa.gov.au/enews/v.aspx?n=44

I know where I live I see people who push their shopping trolleys all the way home...I'm fairly certain they don't return them.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Old news - last year to be precise. I have no doubt that trolleys can be a problem, but it is not one limited to Darwin, or even Australia.

From Stirling, WA:http://www.stirling.wa.gov.au/home/s...g+Trolleys.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.