Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's the best thing about living in Australia?

What's the best thing about living in Australia?

Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:09 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's the best thing about living in Australia?

Be careful throwing BBQ items up for the birds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGiMhWGlv6g

Originally Posted by viviennef

I like my trained kookaburras who call me and get very shirty if I dont go and throw sausage up in the air for them

V
Old Feb 27th 2009, 4:19 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by camponotus
The benefits, I would have thought, are going to be much more immediate and striking for the first person than they will be for the second person. They are likely to start getting all excited about 'the climate and the beaches and feeling safer' from the moment they touch-down at the airport. The second person, however, might find plenty that they miss about the lovely village with its walks in the countryside, beautiful pub and attractive buildings. They might have to look harder for the benefits of being in another country.
I moved from the Cotswolds and there's sweet F.A. I miss about 'em.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
I like being away from it all
I like my trained kookaburras who call me and get very shirty if I dont go and throw sausage up in the air for them
We've a couple that visit our garden regularly. Much more interesting than the crows and seagulls we used to get at home.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:23 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sr71
It's an oft-quoted joke, but the fact is Australia actually has more sheep than NZ. And secondly, Australia is in no position to criticise NZ when they have a song containing the words "Tie me kangaroo down". Just what are they planning to do to the kangaroo?
It always make me laugh when Aussies take the piss out of Kiwis for having "a funny accent"!!!

Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hutch
I moved from the Cotswolds and there's sweet F.A. I miss about 'em.
Come on Cirencester is not really the Cotswolds
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
It always make me laugh when Aussies take the piss out of Kiwis for having "a funny accent"!!!

I work with a few Aussies and two Kiwis. We all take the piss out of each other for various things but we all agree (and that includes the Kiwis) that the NZ accent is daft and embarrassing The Kiwis would love to lose it but it's too strong to wipe out.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:50 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Come on Cirencester is not really the Cotswolds
Well a) It is and b) I didn't live there.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:37 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I work with a few Aussies and two Kiwis. We all take the piss out of each other for various things but we all agree (and that includes the Kiwis) that the NZ accent is daft and embarrassing The Kiwis would love to lose it but it's too strong to wipe out.
Of course both sound positively lovely if the is a South African in the vicinity.

Oddly enough though, I've worked with many Kiwis in London in the City and Canary Wharf and they are usually very successful professionals - it doesn't seem to hamper them too much. A far worse affliction would be to have a Brummy or broad Northern accent.

Last edited by sr71; Mar 1st 2009 at 11:39 am.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
Of course both sound positively lovely if the is a South African in the vicinity.

Oddly enough though, I've worked with many Kiwis in London in the City and Canary Wharf and they are usually very successful professionals - it doesn't seem to hamper them too much. A far worse affliction would be to have a Brummy or broad Northern accent.
Now now
Old Mar 1st 2009, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

The weather leads to improved attitudes, lifestyle, health and energy. Political and material differences don't matter to me since its just a slight tit for tat with UK, comparing an apple to orange.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 8:56 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=The Flintstones;7334917]The weather leads to improved attitudes, lifestyle, health and energy. QUOTE]

It certainly does in the UK.

Pity the same can't be said for Australia.
Old Mar 1st 2009, 9:05 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Grayling;7335580]
Originally Posted by The Flintstones
The weather leads to improved attitudes, lifestyle, health and energy. QUOTE]

It certainly does in the UK.

Pity the same can't be said for Australia.
It didn't improve mine whilst scraping ice off the windscreen with a cd case
Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:50 pm
ABCDiamond

I was in a shop and heard a NZ girl saying "can I have 6" when she was wanting something.

It sort of catches your attention a little bit...

And if you haven't heard the accent... well... you just must hear it.

Old Mar 1st 2009, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I was in a shop and heard a NZ girl saying "can I have 6" when she was wanting something.

It sort of catches your attention a little bit...

And if you haven't heard the accent... well... you just must hear it.
Yes I have heard. Kiwis change the vowel sound of i.

Aussies can't say yoghurt, project, data, memo, chaise longue etc properly! So I think it's a bit rich to take the mickey out of Kiwis for speaking differently.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 1:49 am
ABCDiamond

Yes I have heard. Kiwis change the vowel sound of i.

Aussies can't say yoghurt, project, data, memo, chaise longue etc properly! So I think it's a bit rich to take the mickey out of Kiwis for speaking differently.
Having moved from Manchester to the South of England, where they can't say anything correctly, I rarely worry about how things are said these days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.