Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's the best thing about living in Australia?

What's the best thing about living in Australia?

Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's the best thing about living in Australia?

OK, so everyone's having a good old whinge in the "Whats the worst thing about living in Australia" but how about some positive views to balance the argument?

There must be at least 1 good thing about Oz that makes you stay. What is it?

I'm still relatively new (6 months) but I like, in no particular order;

The weather
The wildlife - although the ones that bite, sting and kill are best viewed on tv or behind thick glass
The fact that the in-laws can't just drop in (kidding of course )
Old Feb 24th 2009, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's the best thing about living in Australia?

Originally Posted by tartankoala
OK, so everyone's having a good old whinge in the "Whats the worst thing about living in Australia" but how about some positive views to balance the argument?

The weather
The wildlife - although the ones that bite, sting and kill are best viewed on tv or behind thick glass
The food- eating out and in the markets
The friendly people
The weather- because it means I can be outside much much more, which I love.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

The weather
Best thing about living in Australia relative to UK, New Zealand, India, South Africa or some other country? I guess the response will be different depending on where you are from. Well, its not intended to offend anyone.... but let me take a wild guess on the bsst thing about Australian based on someone's country of origin:

FOR BRITS:
1. Weather
2. Its not UK
3. Gordon Brown is not Australia's PM
4. More money for the tradies
5. Bigger houses

SOUTH AFRICANS:
1. You don't get shot that often
2. You don't get mugged that often
3. You can actually walk on the streets without peeing in your pants
4. You get a job, ultimately

INDIANS:
1. Its not India but still has Indian masala curries
2. People don't pee on public streets
3. More money
4. You can do dish washing and cleaning for a living, without people back home knowing about it
5. Australian passport is a better, hassle-free travel document
6. Safe and clean life for family
7. Social payments give downward protection

SAUDI ARABIANS:
1. Flirting is allowed, not punishable by lashes
2. Adultery is not punishable by death
3. Driving is safer
4. Women don't have to wear long black robes
5. Shops don't close four times a day for prayers
6. Alcohol is allowed
7. Weather is not as extreme

NEW ZEALANDERS:
1. Sheeps are also available
2. More sheeps are available
3. You can actually live with sheeps
4. You get jobs here
5. Aussies understand Kiwi accent

This could go on and on for different countries. I'm sure you are going to hear more from other people here.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 7:12 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

The weather
12000 yes thats an amazing, loverly 12,000 miles from both our parents
Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
12000 yes thats an amazing, loverly 12,000 miles from both our parents
Oi, that's my line

I'm healthier here and no longer suffer from the cold (I still complain in winter though).
Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:25 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Could do a long list but;

love the weather in Qld.
wildlife is amazing and makes me smile.
really have made some amazing aussie friends.
the wine is superb.
lots of work options for me.
cheap trips to some places I have always wanted to see.
better work/life balance than I used to have.
pool in my garden, bliss on hot days.
larger disposable income -* disclaimer* not everyone has this and applies to my circumstances.
lots of stuff to do that is cheap or free.
my wife is happier here.
the telly is crap, so I make much more of my evenings.
the flora is beautiful.
sausage sizzles.
enjoy the Aussie patriotism.

But you know the best thing? I feel I have come home. I did so from the first moment and was never a " knock the UK " kind of guy.
The UK is an amazing country, filled with equally amazing people and even with the current situation it will continue to be one of the most wonderful places on the planet to call home.
At the end of the day, we can have all these discussions and arguements about which is best but it all comes down to one thing. Where are you happiest?
I could write a similar list of what I liked about the UK but it is not that simple.
I'm kind of fed up about the whole issue about where is best.
I am in severe danger of rambling now but suffice to say, we all have our opinions and they should be viewed as such. Opinions.

There is a down side for me. Really only one. My parents will hit 87 years of age this year( I was a late child) and I may never see them again. That is tough. I am considering a trip home for xmas 2009, even though I have no desire for it
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:05 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by caliburn
Best thing about living in Australia relative to UK, New Zealand, India, South Africa or some other country? I guess the response will be different depending on where you are from. Well, its not intended to offend anyone.... but let me take a wild guess on the bsst thing about Australian based on someone's country of origin:

FOR BRITS:
1. Weather
2. Its not UK
3. Gordon Brown is not Australia's PM
4. More money for the tradies
5. Bigger houses

SOUTH AFRICANS:
1. You don't get shot that often
2. You don't get mugged that often
3. You can actually walk on the streets without peeing in your pants
4. You get a job, ultimately

INDIANS:
1. Its not India but still has Indian masala curries
2. People don't pee on public streets
3. More money
4. You can do dish washing and cleaning for a living, without people back home knowing about it
5. Australian passport is a better, hassle-free travel document
6. Safe and clean life for family
7. Social payments give downward protection

SAUDI ARABIANS:
1. Flirting is allowed, not punishable by lashes
2. Adultery is not punishable by death
3. Driving is safer
4. Women don't have to wear long black robes
5. Shops don't close four times a day for prayers
6. Alcohol is allowed
7. Weather is not as extreme

NEW ZEALANDERS:
1. Sheeps are also available
2. More sheeps are available
3. You can actually live with sheeps
4. You get jobs here
5. Aussies understand Kiwi accent

This could go on and on for different countries. I'm sure you are going to hear more from other people here.

Top post Cali, All TOO true

Dougie
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:35 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Walking the dog along a sandy beach in shorts and t-shirt until the stars come out after a 'normal' day, not a holiday!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

The weather

Brisbane International Airport . . . Departure Lounge
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Space.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Space.
Agreed.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
You rat, you nicked my line!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

You have the room to do as you please, without anyone being interested in judging you for doing as you please!

More time as a family - more time at the river and/or beach!

Better weather!
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:28 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I love being able to arrange to go camping any weekend and it is usually nice
The heat
The beach
Sitting outside in the evenings
not having my whole life revolve around a pub
Not being surrounded by everyone on the dole
The lack of class distinction
The element of snobbery, clothing label, car label mentality
Not having to dress up to go shopping
Not wearing make up because no one knows me
The fruit and veg choice and its ripeness
The lovely fresh fish on the spit
Feeling my children are safe and I am not about to be burgled (although I was the other day - police said its the only one they can remember happening - trust me! )
The opportunities for advancement and to do well in business
The lack of competition
How laid back people are on the coast
Kids being able to play outside
The positive attitude of Australians and how friendly they are
Looking forward to buying a 4WD and using it

Vivienne
Old Feb 24th 2009, 10:29 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spartacus
You want to try moving!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.