Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's best company car or the allowance??

What's best company car or the allowance??

Old Jun 11th 2007, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Eltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud of
Default What's best company car or the allowance??

Hi Guys,

Hubby has been offered a job with the option of either a company car or a $15,600 car allowance.

Can anyone give us some advice on what is the best one to accept ,obviously mainly for tax reasons , and also do you think this amount is reasonable.

We'll be really grateful for all opinions as this is all new to us.

Thanks in advance .
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What's best company car or the allowance??

It depends on the frequency that allowance is paid
Is it a one off payment
Do you get it every year ? or every three years ?

Stu
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Hi, i would like to know the answer too, hubby been offered same thing.
does anyone have the answer.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Eltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud ofEltoro has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
It depends on the frequency that allowance is paid
Is it a one off payment
Do you get it every year ? or every three years ?

Stu
Hi,

It is an annual payment.
Looking forward to hearing your advice.

Thanks
Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Well i'm still in the UK atm, but that equates to £6.5K approx which is about the going rate over here.

That money is taxable at your normal income tax rate and has to cover everything. Purchasing the car, servicing, Insurance, fuel.

A company car in the UK with a retail of approx £22K, low emissions costs around £80 per month in tax so say £1000 but all of the running costs are covered.

Its hard to get a new car all expenses paid for £80 per month !

For me its a Company car all the way

I know this is a purely UK perspective, but i hope its of some help

Stu
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
Well i'm still in the UK atm, but that equates to £6.5K approx which is about the going rate over here.

That money is taxable at your normal income tax rate and has to cover everything. Purchasing the car, servicing, Insurance, fuel.

A company car in the UK with a retail of approx £22K, low emissions costs around £80 per month in tax so say £1000 but all of the running costs are covered.

Its hard to get a new car all expenses paid for £80 per month !

For me its a Company car all the way

I know this is a purely UK perspective, but i hope its of some help

Stu

Thanks for your reply, I am aware of company car taxation in the uk and the costs and current exchange rate, but I am in Australia and costs regarding cars and tax are VERY different here otherwise I wouldn't ask. Thanks for your time anyway.

Does anyone that does know Oz car taxation have any advice?