Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Do we have to take our UK medical records ?

Do we have to take our UK medical records ?

Old Mar 17th 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do we have to take our UK medical records ?

Hi all,

We are hoping to be heading to Aus in the next couple of months. Do we have to take our UK medical records with us ?

If so, what do we do - ask the surgery for the paper records ( don't fancy taking big, bulky files in the suitcase ) or what ?

And what about dental records ? Is that necessary ?

Thanks.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice
Default Re: Do we have to take our UK medical records ?

Hiya glad you asked was wondering myself,but my sis moved to brisbane last may. so gonna ask wot she took and needed and will let you know if you dont get any suggestions.
kelsey
Old Mar 17th 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissie-here-we-come
Hiya glad you asked was wondering myself,but my sis moved to brisbane last may. so gonna ask wot she took and needed and will let you know if you dont get any suggestions.
kelsey

Please.

Thanks.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 12:31 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

you don't take dental records have to start again

medical records can get print off contact sheet from gp listing medical conditions and medication and what you saw your GP for recently. If you have anything complicated then best to get records photocopied and pay for this.

kim
Old Mar 17th 2007, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by asher
you don't take dental records have to start again

medical records can get print off contact sheet from gp listing medical conditions and medication and what you saw your GP for recently. If you have anything complicated then best to get records photocopied and pay for this.

kim

Thanks, Kim.

That's more like it.

I presume there is a small charge for this ?
Old Mar 17th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to take them, but I would. It's worth having all the details because you just never know what may happen in the future. Also dates, for example when you had your last smear or tetnus jab (I wouldn't have a clue without medical records) can be very useful. You will need your kids immunisation records.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 2:45 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmtree
Thanks, Kim.

That's more like it.

I presume there is a small charge for this ?
Can be small depends on your GP all set their own charges I'm afraid but usually NHS charges £10 per copy, thats what medical records at my hospital told me anyway!!
Old Mar 17th 2007, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

We are hoping to be heading to Aus in the next couple of months. Do we have to take our UK medical records with us ?

If so, what do we do - ask the surgery for the paper records ( don't fancy taking big, bulky files in the suitcase ) or what ?

And what about dental records ? Is that necessary ?

Thanks.
any medical records belong to the practice you attend, so you can't take them with you, but you are entitled to have a copy. There will be a charge to make the copy-this charge is determined by the practice manager.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I paid £13 for my medical records (a copy of them) - £10 admin fee plus £3 photocopying.
People will say that you don't need them, but I though better safe than sorry.
If you do a search for medical records you'll find lots of discussion on the topic.
I don't have a copy of my dental records but I do have some basic dental x-rays from last year, which could always be compared to future examinations.
And we have a copy of the dog's vet records too! That was free.
Old Mar 17th 2007, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by esperanza
I paid £13 for my medical records (a copy of them) - £10 admin fee plus £3 photocopying.
People will say that you don't need them, but I though better safe than sorry.
If you do a search for medical records you'll find lots of discussion on the topic.
I don't have a copy of my dental records but I do have some basic dental x-rays from last year, which could always be compared to future examinations.
And we have a copy of the dog's vet records too! That was free.

I think you are right - it's better to have them than not to have them
Old Mar 18th 2007, 3:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are right - it's better to have them than not to have them
If you do decide to bring them, you'll be the one holding them - you don't register with a GP here like you do in the UK, you can just pick and choose, and go to a different one each time if you want to. As a result most of them aren't even interested ins eeing medical records, and it'll be up to you to take them along and point out any relevant info.
Old Mar 18th 2007, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you do decide to bring them, you'll be the one holding them - you don't register with a GP here like you do in the UK, you can just pick and choose, and go to a different one each time if you want to. As a result most of them aren't even interested ins eeing medical records, and it'll be up to you to take them along and point out any relevant info.
Thanks for this information Pollyana, I asked our GP how much it was for a copy and they informed me that it was £50 per person Having now read your reply, I am sure that we can put our £150 to better use. I will just make sure that we bring our son's red book with us.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That's what I always thought too. But we've registed as a family at our local practise, the only one that had places at the time. Once, while sitting waiting for an appointment, I overhead the receptionist telling someone on the phone that all the doctors were busy and she couldn't squeeze her in, especially as she wasn't registered with that practise, registered patients take priority. All my Aussie medical records are held on the GP's computer, and over the last 5 years she has got to know our family quite well, I couldn't imagine why anyone would want to book in with just any doctor who knows nothing about you.
Old Mar 19th 2007, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

loopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really nice

we were advised that unless you had a medical condition which needed monitoring over here that you shouldnt bother. we have left all our records in the uk as none of us really had medical history to talk of except for the usual coughs and colds and babies and stuff. i kindof figured that i could tell them anything they needed to know and thus saved the expense of the national health sending info to oz, as they do charge you (or ours was going to anyway).

my dentist also said the same and my opticians gave my last prescription form for the opticians over here to see (not that i have visited one yet anyway).

hope this helps
loopyloo2
Old Mar 20th 2007, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

brissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nicebrissie-here-we-come is just really nice

hiya just asked my sis in brisbane and she said she hasnt even needed them ,she took them just in case but said when you get over there you dont have a specific doctors like in uk you can just walk into any so .they wouldnt come in handy just a waste to have paid for them she said.good luck and do wot you think is best

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.