Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What's before Kindy

What's before Kindy

Old Apr 26th 2006, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

MartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to all
Question What's before Kindy

Does anyone know what age kids can go to playgroup please? I've only been able to find threads on pre-school or kindy which covers from 4 up.

Arriving in Brisbane in 6 weeks, our eldest is 3 in Sept and the youngest will be 4 mths when we arrive. Over here our eldest has gone to a kind of pre-playgroup from 18 mths and our local playgroup starts at 2 yrs 9 mths (he couldn't go til Sept due to summer hols). We also go to a toddler group and there's a mother and baby group too. Starting to twitch at the thought of being stuck at home with them all day as the 1st question I get every day is "Where we going today mummy?". Please tell me there's lots of groups for pre-schoolers and their stir crazy mums :scared: .

Lane
Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's before Kindy

Originally Posted by MartUK
Does anyone know what age kids can go to playgroup please? I've only been able to find threads on pre-school or kindy which covers from 4 up.

Arriving in Brisbane in 6 weeks, our eldest is 3 in Sept and the youngest will be 4 mths when we arrive. Over here our eldest has gone to a kind of pre-playgroup from 18 mths and our local playgroup starts at 2 yrs 9 mths (he couldn't go til Sept due to summer hols). We also go to a toddler group and there's a mother and baby group too. Starting to twitch at the thought of being stuck at home with them all day as the 1st question I get every day is "Where we going today mummy?". Please tell me there's lots of groups for pre-schoolers and their stir crazy mums :scared: .

Lane
Hi

my daughter (Emily) goes to kindy and she is 2 1/2 and also my nephew who is 1 has been going since around 6 weeks old.

We live in Brisbane and we have looked round a few kindy's and they all have 3-4 rooms for ages from 6 weeks ish to pre school age (4)

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/br...preschools.htm for more info

It get quite confusing as people call it diffrent things for example the centre we go to is daycare and preschool but everyone calls it kindy !!!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Lane
btw ..... which part of brissie you moving to ???
Old Apr 26th 2006, 11:48 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Lane
Well I'm on the GC but the kindy my daughter goes to takes babies from 6 weeks old up to the end of the year they turn 5 in.
There are day care centres around aswell which take babies right through to teens, few and far between though.
As for play groups, there are plenty around. Our local library has info on them all so it's probably worth trying yours.

Marie
Old Apr 27th 2006, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

MartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to allMartUK is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tabby
btw ..... which part of brissie you moving to ???
Not sure yet, only have a short-let for 3 weeks to start with when we'll be looking around to find somewhere more permanent and to be quite honest don't even know where to start.

Is kindy like playgroup or more like a nursery/minder? Also need something like a toddler/mother & baby group I can go to as well so I can start making friends. Thought the library may be a good place to start once we find a place to stay.

Lane
Old Apr 27th 2006, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

Both are available. Some of the Gold Coast High Schools have playgroups where students learn childcare, and they can be a good place to meet mums.

Last edited by CHnJ; Apr 27th 2006 at 11:07 am. Reason: Change "creche" to "playgroup"
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:41 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Not sure yet, only have a short-let for 3 weeks to start with when we'll be looking around to find somewhere more permanent and to be quite honest don't even know where to start.

Is kindy like playgroup or more like a nursery/minder? Also need something like a toddler/mother & baby group I can go to as well so I can start making friends. Thought the library may be a good place to start once we find a place to stay.

Lane
Kindy is very different to the playscools in UK. My son is 3 and absolutley loves it. I don't know about other kindys but hes opens about 7.30am, and closes at 6.30pm. They take their morning & afternoon snack, and their lunch. Also he takes he's bedding as they have afternoon sleep too. Its alot more educational, as well as the usuall paintings, singing, stories and playing. The fee is around $44 per day.. wether your taking them for the morning or the full day. They also have magazines there so you can see what else is going on in your area for you and your kids ie.. parent & toddlers, music lessons ect. Best of luck. xxxx
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

You also get a lot of the fee back from the government as a rebate (although it can take about a year and a half to come through.)