Reload this Page >

What's ADELAIDE like??

What's ADELAIDE like??

Old Dec 28th 2006, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

bigstej will become famous soon enoughbigstej will become famous soon enough
Default What's ADELAIDE like??

Hi.
Happy Xmas and Best Wishes tfor the New Year to all.
Myself and my partner are considering a move to Australia. The idea is in its infancy and we are just starting out on the complicated road of collating info.

We're really interested in ADELAIDE.
I am a detective in an English Police Force, 34yrs old with 9 yrs experience.
My partner is 31yrs. A Primary school teacher of 9yrs. She has the 4yrs BA Honours in Art and Design with QTS.
Has anybody got any advice or opinions on our considered move from Blighty?
Perhaps first or second hand experience/contacts?
We have no children, just a cat! I've read the Sapol websites for Police recruiting and have registered an interest. I must say I'm slighlty worried by the apparent lack of opportunites and hurdles for UK teachers wanting to transfer. Is this true?
ANY comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated, from anything including cost of houses, cost of living, percentage chances of both getting full time employment as well as the usual difficulties with the immigration process.
Many thanks in advance, Steve and CatherineWe're really interested in ADELAIDE.
My partner is 31yrs. A Primary school teacher of 9yrs. She has the 4yrs BA Honours in Art and Design with QTS.
We have no children, just a cat! I've read the Sapol websites for Police recruiting and have registered an interest. I must say I'm slighlty worried by the apparent lack of opportunites and hurdles for UK teachers wanting to transfer. Is this true?
ANY comments or opinions would be greatly appreciated, from anything including cost of houses, cost of living, percentage chances of both getting full time employment as well as the usual difficulties with the immigration process.
Many thanks in advance, Steve and Catherine
Old Dec 28th 2006, 5:27 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's ADELAIDE like??

Originally Posted by bigstej
Hi.
Myself and my partner are considering a move to Australia. The idea is in its infancy and we are just starting out on the complicated road of collating info.

Hello Poster on multiple threads....see other thread for a starter answer!

Last edited by busterboy; Dec 28th 2006 at 5:31 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2006, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Have a look at http://z2.invisionfree.com/Adelaidebrits/index.php?

Hope that helps

Lindsey
Old Dec 28th 2006, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

sassycat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.

Hi Steve and Catherine

Why not consult a migration agent - normally the first consulation is free - at least you will get some ideas of which direction to aim for.

All the best and good luck

Love SC -x-x-x-x
Old Dec 28th 2006, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

jobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to alljobart is a name known to all

Hi,

Here's a really good link for info on emigration to Adelaide, I've found it most helpful....

http://www.adelaidebound.com/

House prices are a big thing that seems to draw folks to Adelaide, you seem to get more for your money, slightly cheaper that Perth, Melbourne etc.

I'm hoping to be in Adelaide by the end of Feb, but I've got family there which is the major reason I'm heading there.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Hi.

Just a quick answer

Adelaide like all cities has its good and not-so-good parts, just depends what you're after.

It's clean
People are lovely (except the hoons = kids driving on two wheels at a time, lots of this so a good place for a police officer)
Rentals are CHEAP paying $280 for a 3 br bungalow in a lovely area in beautiful condition with cathedral ceilings and a large garden including council tax and water rates.
To buy it would cost me around $250,000.
Petrol currently 40 p a litre
Food around the same price overall, meat cheaper veggies dearer
Car repairs probably around a dollar per pound what you would pay in the UK
Electrical goods expensive
Beaches are great
Hills and scenery stunning
Main roads very wide and some look like those in America with overhead telegraph lines
Driving is easy with much less congestion, no bridges but loads of traffic lights. Few roundabouts here and there, but mainly lights
Schools are to die for if you ever decide this is on the agenda
Imported cats can sometimes die on arrival due to change in environment and are far less popular than in the UK because people treasure the birdlife here, though many move happily into their new life downunder
Been here a year and wouldn't bother me if I never revisited the UK, we adore it here
Always LOADS to do and much of it is free or very cheap, easy to park for major events.
Anything else Adelaide related can be found on Adelaide Brits as well.

Good luck
Old Dec 29th 2006, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Vin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to beholdVin 'n Bin is a splendid one to behold

I agree with everything that Seabird says I lived in Adelaide for 31 years and I really miss it I have a friend who has been a Detective in Adelaide for many years. Another friend told me that he has just retired...after 40 years service I would gladly move back there although Perth is okay too...I guess I'm just 'homesick'
Old Dec 29th 2006, 10:33 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

During the recent test match from Adelaide an Australian comedian described Adelaide as :

"a wildlife theme park......for the elderly"

I think he was being too kind.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Pommygirl2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've found this website http://pomsinadelaide.com/

Welcome to the Murder capital of Australia - or so they say!! Loads of drugs here so you won't be short of work. Although I've heard that all the police are interested in is speed cameras not fighting crime.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited by Pollyana; Dec 29th 2006 at 11:09 am. Reason: Please don't make comments like that about other sites, thanks
Old Dec 29th 2006, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Talking Re: What's ADELAIDE like??

Originally Posted by Grayling
During the recent test match from Adelaide an Australian comedian described Adelaide as :

"a wildlife theme park......for the elderly"

I think he was being too kind.
Me too.... not too sure how we manage without Dreamworld, what with all those sharks to swim with... you've made my day as today was indeed spent at a wildlife park with friends, must mean I am elderly and therefore due for retiement. In fact it is you that is kind as I have accordingly sent my boss an urgent email, disturbing his holiday in the US to tell him I retire on Tuesday !!

Yours cheerfully

Errrrr what was my name???? Oh heck senility is a pain in the errrrrrrrr can't remember what it was called, think it was a donkey...
Old Dec 29th 2006, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seabird
Me too.... not too sure how we manage without Dreamworld, what with all those sharks to swim with... you've made my day as today was indeed spent at a wildlife park with friends, must mean I am elderly and therefore due for retiement. In fact it is you that is kind as I have accordingly sent my boss an urgent email, disturbing his holiday in the US to tell him I retire on Tuesday !!

Yours cheerfully

Errrrr what was my name???? Oh heck senility is a pain in the errrrrrrrr can't remember what it was called, think it was a donkey...
LOL

I wondered why my hair started falling out, I thought it was because of the the kids but know I know it's cos I'm old and bored
Old Dec 29th 2006, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond reputewheatsheaf42 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What's ADELAIDE like??

Hi.

How good it is to see a copper who actually checks things before putting his size 10s in!
Old Dec 29th 2006, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
LOL

I wondered why my hair started falling out, I thought it was because of the the kids but know I know it's cos I'm old and bored
At least you have children so maybe you can still use the pushchair in place of the zimmer frame and keep the secret well-hidden (by the way they sell good wigs at Marion, lilac and red sparkly ones for instance at a reasonable price).

I personally can't wait to start visiting all the cultural places I'm missing during my newly-discovered pending retirement, have already booked my flights to Sydney and Melbourne to catch up with the crowds, the shopping and all that culture that Adelaide lacks... Best thing is though I have return tickets!!!
Old Dec 29th 2006, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seabird
At least you have children so maybe you can still use the pushchair in place of the zimmer frame and keep the secret well-hidden (by the way they sell good wigs at Marion, lilac and red sparkly ones for instance at a reasonable price).
Thanks for the tip
I personally can't wait to start visiting all the cultural places I'm missing during my newly-discovered pending retirement, have already booked my flights to Sydney and Melbourne to catch up with the crowds, the shopping and all that culture that Adelaide lacks... Best thing is though I have return tickets!!!
Lucky you, Oz is so expensive I can't afford to save up to go anywhere.
Old Dec 29th 2006, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wendy
Thanks for the tip

Lucky you, Oz is so expensive I can't afford to save up to go anywhere.
Now come on!! You know I'm flying by emu??!!! Oh darn they can't fly :scared: , looks like I'm walking and will need a new zimmer frame or two... think maybe I'll save up and get one with wheels.