Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What you wished you had left behind...

What you wished you had left behind...

Old Jul 17th 2011, 4:50 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What you wished you had left behind...

One other thing: Add a garage to your list of requirements for your first rental. It serves as a great transition and storage area for your stuff when it arrives.
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:10 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
One other thing: Add a garage to your list of requirements for your first rental. It serves as a great transition and storage area for your stuff when it arrives.
Oooh, great tip - will store that one
Old Jul 17th 2011, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

You're welcome.

When is the big move?
Not until next year, but because I am completely OCD OCD OCD I need, must make lists and get organised!!
Old Jul 17th 2011, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

we will be moving back in Feb, so we are buying next year's clothes for our 4 year old in the current sales. Sainsbury's, Asda etc are far superior quality and you won't often get a Disney Tshirt for 4bucks.

We bought a new washing machine since we came back and will definitely take that back with us.
It was a middle of the range Bosch for about 380quid- and the last Bosch we had (killed by quarantine in UK) lasted 11 years. We did need something looked at but found a local (Melbourne) engineer to repair it- cost about 50 bucks.

Only thing to not particularly bother with is a TV unless it is fairly new and is OK for Aus frequency.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 12:26 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OneSmallVoice
Not until next year, but because I am completely OCD OCD OCD I need, must make lists and get organised!!
Good idea. The sooner the better else it gets very stressful towards the end. If you have kids slip a couple of slabs of chocolate between their books and things, when packing. Serves as a great additional morale booster and means the kids help with the unpacking
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

If you have kids slip a couple of slabs of chocolate between their books and things, when packing. Serves as a great additional morale booster and means the kids help with the unpacking
Or it could mean your container is set upon and destroyed by overly protective aussie customs officers or a pack of beagles
Old Jul 18th 2011, 3:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Or it could mean your container is set upon and destroyed by overly protective aussie customs officers or a pack of beagles
That's also a possibility
Old Jul 18th 2011, 3:22 am
Just Joined

Linda S is an unknown quantity at this point

I know there is a thread what you wished you had taken with you, however, I'm more thinking we have waaaaay to much stuff, I want to take everything and probably need a wake up call! I know (based on knowledge 10+ years ago tho) that the majority of rentals in Australia are not furnished, as opposed to the UK where a lot of rentals are.

I know you can't know for sure what will be included in a rental, as it would differ from house to house. So did you take the kitchen sink and regret it? If I had a Belfast I would definitely be taking that!!

Hubby is in the vein of we'll buy when we get there, however, I've heard that whitegoods etc.. are much more expensive so I really want to take it all. We would run the risk of finding a furnished rental, just my luck... and so then what would we do with it all?!

Experiences welcomed

We brought nothing - but wished Id brought everything so bring all you can Id say - Oh and Ive got a front loader washing machine bought in Oz so there is still plenty around
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:10 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

I've heard that it is very difficult to get front loading washing machines over there. Everyone I know seems to have humungous top loaders whcih takes aout three times the loads the front loaders take.
Def true, but front loaders are becoming more common (they catch on eventually, bless) and we recently replaced our good ole Bosch (can't go wrong) that we brought over.

Old one was 9 years old, and new fandango one $600 after $100 cashback, which wasn't bad.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Our kettle was probably the most useless thing we shipped. We had to buy one for our rental as we weren't going to boil water on the stove for a few months and when the UK one arrived it hung around for a few years unused until I had enough of it and binned it.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

So I think the moral of the story is TAKE EVERYTHING, TAKE IT ALL buy more and more and more and then TAKE THAT TOO!

Now at least I have an excuse when hubby asks why the cc bill is astronomical thank you all for helping me justify my spending habit...
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:02 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Brought everything, took everything back... If we go again will do EXACTLY the same thing.... Beast decision we made both times!
Old Jul 19th 2011, 12:58 am
Banned

So I think the moral of the story is TAKE EVERYTHING, TAKE IT ALL buy more and more and more and then TAKE THAT TOO!

Now at least I have an excuse when hubby asks why the cc bill is astronomical thank you all for helping me justify my spending habit...
You are absolutely spot on! Enjoy your shopping oops shipping