Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are you going to miss the most about the UK?

What are you going to miss the most about the UK?

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What are you going to miss the most about the UK?

I miss

Old things and history.

Decent gravey, ie Bisto. Gravox is nasty.

Decent drivers.

Decent diesel cars.

The NHS.

Being able to have a decent political conversation, the Aussies I know just don't seem to be able to keep up.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 3:45 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cas,

It was alright, weren't it? So far as a shampoo goes. Mr GG now has a hissy fit whenever we go shopping as the new allegiance is to a brand that costs $16 a pop.

Anyway, I see that Megalania's sense of humour failure continues. You're a nurse, Cas - do you think there's hope or is it terminal?

GG

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Nichola - I liked Aussie Moist shampoo too - and thought I may get it here - but it is American, so it was luck if I could. Plenty of good alternatives though.

re: light nights - at least we are getting an often sunny winter - remember this is the equivalent to the beginning of February in UK, where it was cold and dull most days & dark by 4pm..

Haven't missed anything - books are expensive, and yes - I know there is the library - but if you want a newly released book then you have to wait for ages.....we got the new Harry Potter, and would have hated to have had to wait for it to get to the library - and probably ended up finding out what had happened !!
(for those who have not read/finished it yet.........whats it worth for me not to tell you the ending !)
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 3:59 am
Badge

Originally Posted by dshole

Being able to have a decent political conversation, the Aussies I know just don't seem to be able to keep up.
I find the more I stay here, the more interesting people I bump into.

badge

I miss cheap books - but have now found a place in Carlton.

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 3:59 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

One thing I took for granted which is rampant here are the bugs that live in your house....ie. cockroaches...

I miss a house without little creatures waving at you!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:04 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

I'll definitely miss Amazon as I hate not having a book
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:06 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Hi Cas,

It was alright, weren't it? So far as a shampoo goes. Mr GG now has a hissy fit whenever we go shopping as the new allegiance is to a brand that costs $16 a pop.

Anyway, I see that Megalania's sense of humour failure continues. You're a nurse, Cas - do you think there's hope or is it terminal?

GG
Yes, decent shampoo is expensive - don't know why, but my hair had grown about 6 or 7 inches since I've been here - no kidding - so the shampoo might be dear, but it's good!!

Terminal - deffo

What about HP? Shall I be cruel and tell ?!!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:10 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, decent shampoo is expensive - don't know why, but my hair had grown about 6 or 7 inches since I've been here - no kidding - so the shampoo might be dear, but it's good!!

Terminal - deffo

What about HP? Shall I be cruel and tell ?!!
Don't you dare or I'll set the boys on you, I'm having to read it slowly as I can't find anything else to read and I've been trawling Amazon for ages, it becomes so hard when you read all your favourite authors the second their books get released
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fraser
Don't you dare or I'll set the boys on you, I'm having to read it slowly as I can't find anything else to read and I've been trawling Amazon for ages, it becomes so hard when you read all your favourite authors the second their books get released
The boys don't scare me

What's it worth not to tell then??
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Badge

I miss cheap books - but have now found a place in Carlton.
What's the shop called Badge?

Cas
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:17 am

The boys don't scare me
They will do :scared:
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:18 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm like Sue, I will miss the cold winter evenings leading up to Christmas.

And Bonfire Night (or do you celebrate that in Oz?).

And being able to watch Wimbledon live during the day!

And most of all my cat Holly's ashes which I buried at the bottom of the garden 6 weeks ago....
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:38 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

I will miss the great way our Prime Minister and his Cronies run this country...........NOT!!!!!

Lynn (Mrs 'R')
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by rossifumi
I will miss the great way our Prime Minister and his Cronies run this country...........NOT!!!!!

Lynn (Mrs 'R')

I thought that, then I got here. Compared to Horward, Blair is great.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 7:47 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

... Hope this helps ...

Three Legs

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Not *who* but *what* are you going to miss the most about the UK? When you're sunning yourself on the beach in Oz, what will you really, really wish you could still have or be part of?

I'm going to miss the snow. Not that we have it often down here in the SW, but I do love it.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

optus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura aboutoptus has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bridiej
And Bonfire Night (or do you celebrate that in Oz?).
Afraid not, no bonfire night. In fact in most States private fireworks are banned, you have to go to the Northern territories for fireworks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.