Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What are you going to miss the most about the UK?

What are you going to miss the most about the UK?

Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:24 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What are you going to miss the most about the UK?

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
PS: I miss cheap books.
Oh God, me too
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:24 pm
Just Joined

FXtrader is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss the long evenings......goes dark here in Brisbane about 7:15pm in mid summer, but that's probably just as well because it's hot enough at night as it is !
In mid winter (June) darkness falls at about 5pm.....
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto on cheap books and more importantly, my beautiful old puddy tat
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:37 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing sounds stupid but i miss strong walls. Ones that you can hang shelves and big mirrors off without having to determine their place by finding the nearest stud!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

funkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant futurefunkybuddah has a brilliant future

I will miss good T.V, a nice chinese, Linda Macartney foods And Nescafe coffee just doesn't taste the same out there as what it does here.
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:49 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

This week I am mainly missing:

Curry - Aus curries suck. I'm sorry, but they do. They're nowhere near hot enough. This is a constant source of unhappiness in the GG household.
Mushy peas - paying $2.50 a can in the British shop is too expensive for regular consumption.
Cheap books.
Light evenings (dark by 5.30 pm at the moment).
The Gap.
Yorkshire and Geordie accents.
Radio 2 (listening on-line is cruddy - especially if you're listening to Friday's show on a Monday morning!).
Decent new music.
Amazon.
Proper pubs.
Proper pints!!
Rain (honest!). Some would be nice - occasionally!
Washing powder that doesn't leave your clothes like cardboard.
Some TV - especially comedy, like The Smoking Room and Phoenix Nights.
Frosty mornings (slighty damp's not working for me).
Brannigan's crisps.
British countryside.
Aussie Miracle Moist shampoo. Why can you not get that here?!!

Mainly a food list then! But it is hard to change your tastes after ... however long!

Oh, and Mr GG and I have only been to the beach once since March. Does anyone regularly go to the beach?

GG
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:21 am
Badge

Originally Posted by hevs
The other thing sounds stupid but i miss strong walls. Ones that you can hang shelves and big mirrors off without having to determine their place by finding the nearest stud!
We've used these butterfly bolts that take 10kg and work really well - even not in a stud.

Badge

Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

beebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nicebeebopaloola is just really nice
Wink Re: What are you going to miss the most about the UK?

pubs (pub quiz night on sunday)
the dales
shopping in Leeds, Manchester, sheffield.
dodgy DVDs
familiar people
the SALES (monsoon, Kookai, next etc)

police presence (at the end of our road since 7/7)
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 12:56 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Geordie George
This week I am mainly missing:

Curry - Aus curries suck. I'm sorry, but they do. They're nowhere near hot enough. This is a constant source of unhappiness in the GG household.
Mushy peas - paying $2.50 a can in the British shop is too expensive for regular consumption.
Cheap books.
Light evenings (dark by 5.30 pm at the moment).
The Gap.
Yorkshire and Geordie accents.
Radio 2 (listening on-line is cruddy - especially if you're listening to Friday's show on a Monday morning!).
Decent new music.
Amazon.
Proper pubs.
Proper pints!!
Rain (honest!). Some would be nice - occasionally!
Washing powder that doesn't leave your clothes like cardboard.
Some TV - especially comedy, like The Smoking Room and Phoenix Nights.
Frosty mornings (slighty damp's not working for me).
Brannigan's crisps.
British countryside.
Aussie Miracle Moist shampoo. Why can you not get that here?!!

Mainly a food list then! But it is hard to change your tastes after ... however long!

Oh, and Mr GG and I have only been to the beach once since March. Does anyone regularly go to the beach?

GG
What a WhingeFest!

Curry - yer like it hot, hot, hot - simple - add chilli - all you like.

Mooshy Bloody Pees - how hard is that?

Cheap books - library!

Light evenings - get up earlier!

The Gap - is that Lover's Leap?

Yorkshire and Geordie accents - Huh? Stay at home and converse?

Radio 2 - Try Radio National.

Decent new music - visit a shop and part with mooney.

Amazon - you'll just have to settle for the Murray-Darling.

Proper pubs - start one.

Proper pints!! - get a glass fabricated to your exacting specifications.

Washing powder that doesn't leave your clothes like cardboard - soften your water with sodium carbonate.

Some TV - hire a video.

Frosty mornings - put yer hand in the freezer for an hour each morning.

British countryside - try Astral Travell - lie back and dream of England.

Aussie Miracle Moist shampoo - try something different for a change.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:03 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could take it as a tongue in cheek post! Which is what I read the OP to be!

Why so quick to jump on a poster?

Originally Posted by Megalania
What a WhingeFest!

Curry - yer like it hot, hot, hot - simple - add chilli - all you like.

Mooshy Bloody Pees - how hard is that?

Cheap books - library!

Light evenings - get up earlier!

The Gap - is that Lover's Leap?

Yorkshire and Geordie accents - Huh? Stay at home and converse?

Radio 2 - Try Radio National.

Decent new music - visit a shop and part with mooney.

Amazon - you'll just have to settle for the Murray-Darling.

Proper pubs - start one.

Proper pints!! - get a glass fabricated to your exacting specifications.

Washing powder that doesn't leave your clothes like cardboard - soften your water with sodium carbonate.

Some TV - hire a video.

Frosty mornings - put yer hand in the freezer for an hour each morning.

British countryside - try Astral Travell - lie back and dream of England.

Aussie Miracle Moist shampoo - try something different for a change.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:18 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Or you could take it as a tongue in cheek post! Which is what I read the OP to be!

Why so quick to jump on a poster?
To ameliorate the risk of mass suicide.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

sam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to beholdsam&molly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Not *who* but *what* are you going to miss the most about the UK? When you're sunning yourself on the beach in Oz, what will you really, really wish you could still have or be part of?

I'm going to miss the snow. Not that we have it often down here in the SW, but I do love it.

BBC News 24

Molly
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Diamond Lil will become famous soon enoughDiamond Lil will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
Not *who* but *what* are you going to miss the most about the UK? When you're sunning yourself on the beach in Oz, what will you really, really wish you could still have or be part of?

I'm going to miss the snow. Not that we have it often down here in the SW, but I do love it.
Birds Instant Custard
Cornish Clotted Cream
Long light evenings and being able to sit outside without being " bombed " by enormous flying insects attracted by any light.

DL
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

My husband manages to find plenty of football on Foxtel (one of the reasons we had to subscribe- well and for Coronation St for me!).

I miss Tescos as none of the supermarkets have such a good range, and of course nice green country lanes. Brown gets a bit dull after a while!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 2:46 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Nichola - I liked Aussie Moist shampoo too - and thought I may get it here - but it is American, so it was luck if I could. Plenty of good alternatives though.

re: light nights - at least we are getting an often sunny winter - remember this is the equivalent to the beginning of February in UK, where it was cold and dull most days & dark by 4pm..

Haven't missed anything - books are expensive, and yes - I know there is the library - but if you want a newly released book then you have to wait for ages.....we got the new Harry Potter, and would have hated to have had to wait for it to get to the library - and probably ended up finding out what had happened !!
(for those who have not read/finished it yet.........whats it worth for me not to tell you the ending !)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.