Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

what ya watchin in aus on telly

what ya watchin in aus on telly

Old Jul 26th 2007, 10:34 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: what ya watchin in aus on telly

Originally Posted by Margaret3
on a positive note, teen is reading more

like the rest of us

But are books expensive here?

Is there an amazon AU?
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Things I watched before and get to see here:

Time Team (when I remember it's on, even if I've already seen it. usually when it's half way through)
Doctor Who and before that Robin Hood (both which we missed in the uk. Maid Marion eh? cor !)
Midsummer Murders even though the plots are crap. Good sunday night telly.
The Simpsons
Scrubs
My name is Earl

and the things I didn't watch in uk but watch here:

NCIS, CIS, Law & order CI, SVD, medium, worst jobs in history, numb3rs, chaser's war, rove (sometimes).
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:15 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terriefarrell
OOOh they have 'Earl', thank the lord!

When it comes to tele can you get british channels on an equivalent to Sky TV? how does it work in Oz?
There are just as many if not more US shows on here.

There is UKTV showing lots of British shows including the soaps. It is Xmas in Eastenders but not sure whether that is 6 or 18 months old.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 3:17 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Is there an Oz equivalent of Sky plus?
i.e record the shows you like, pause live tv, fast forward adverts etc?

I love sky plus - I haven't seen an advert in a long time
Foxtel do "IQ" which is similar. It doesn't remember what sort of programmes you like and automatically record them though.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 7:31 am
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The Bloke has spent the evening watching the Sci Fi channel so loud you could hear it down the street.Then his mum rang up and he put her on loudspeaker, so she was shouting (she doesn't quite get stuff like that), he was shouting over her, and the TV was blaring over the top. I stuck the earphones on and went back to my Cell Block H DVDs, better than todays Aussie TV !!
I remember watching it first in the 1970s wondering why Aus houses looked like UK ones from the 1940s.....now I know

Three kids arriving for holiday on Monday and I am just dreading them watching TV here...the ads It'll be "Aunty, whats XXXXXX" "Go and ask your mother!" for three weeks solid! They'll go home having learnt some very odd words for their age!

You should try living with a Welsh person! They all talk as though they are shouting. My OH has managed to keep the decibels down since living with me but as soon as she gets with her Mum and Dad it's hell, it really is, I end up going into another room. At the inlaws house the TV is so loud they have to shout at each other to hear what the other person is saying. We go shopping and my Mum in law will gossip about someone in the queue and she is so loud I go red thinking the recipient can hear as can the rest of the shoppers.

Anyway on to the TV, I will watch surf rescue, airport security and Better Homes and Gardens, but apart from that it's sh!te. If you enjoy American humour then you are in for a treat cause every prog is just that, even Austar is not much better, it's all USA tat. I hear Kath and Kim are coming back on, now thats one comedy duo I love to watch. On Uk tv I watch Emmerdale and Coronation street. When the weather hots up will watch even less cause we will be out fishing and swimming after school and work.

I apologize to any Welsh person out there but after 25years with OH, it is my honest opinion they are a very loud nation.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 7:33 am
No need for rose tinted.

the Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura aboutthe Wombats has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by temptininnit
But are books expensive here?

Is there an amazon AU?
Go through Coolangatta high street and there are loads of second hand book shops, we get some good cheap reads from there.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 6:40 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
Foxtel do "IQ" which is similar. It doesn't remember what sort of programmes you like and automatically record them though.
You can series link a programme so it tapes every one in a series.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Its true there is a lot of crap on Aus tv and they seem to have a hell of a lot of ads. For some reason they put a lot of stuff on wednesday and thursdays, the line up until recently was good but a few shows have ended :

Monday : Torchwood (that crap dr who spin off)
Tuesday : NCIS (great funny show not sick like those cis ones)
Wednesday : House, also Heros, 24 and Prison break were on until recently
Thursday : Lost
Friday / Sat : Usually just a few movies on

Theres way to many adverts though and they cut up the shows strangley,
they sometimes have a break then come back and have the last minute of the show before it ends then the next show starts immediately without a break, very strange.
The most annoying is when they drop news and weather in the middle of a program you are just getting into.

Anyone got Foxtel, is it worth it?
Old Jul 28th 2007, 7:39 am
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by northernbird
You can series link a programme so it tapes every one in a series.
If I could programme it find all shows about motor bike racing I would give it serious thought but the stuff I watch isn't really series.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 7:42 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
If I could programme it find all shows about motor bike racing I would give it serious thought but the stuff I watch isn't really series.
I know what you mean. We got IQ when we moved from Sorrento because it didn't cost us anything to install and only $10 extra a month.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:58 am
Banned

MICKY DANDAN will become famous soon enough

top gear
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:33 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts on Aus TV after 6 weeks here......

The Good
Rove is fab. It's one of the few shows I actually giggle at (and don't tell my Oh but he;s pretty cute too lol).

The US The Office is good too.

Loads of US stuff like CSI (as discussed prevously). I don't mind it so I'm happy there.

Dr Who is on on a Saturday and it's the last series too which we missed with getting ready to move so that's great.

Californication - Mr Ducovny is VERY easy on the eye. I love how "real" the dialogue is on this show, it's not all cleaned up and sanitised. I do wonder if the UK will show this and if so, what time of night they'd show it.

Repeats of Grand Designs

Adverts - seems to be less advertising aimed at kids (we counted 10 ads for toys during just one break on Milkshake in the UK before we left). Also, haven't seen any of those ads for debt consolidation or compensation which are on all day in the UK.

The Bad
The adverts - if I see that liteneasy ad one more time I might just go mad.

Afternoon TV - there's some really adult stuff on in the afternoons. For those at home with littelies there's really not mich of a choice.

The way the continuity people abbreviate the names of all the shows (e.g. Australian Idol is Idol, Border Patrol is Border etc....)

News coverage - I still haven't found a decent news show with good international coverage - I'm sure most Aussies wouldn't even know there's a war going on in Iraq!

Documentaries/Dramas - haven't seen any?????? Other than Proof which I found by accident one night on SBS or ABC which was good.

Overall

Overall I don't think it's great but I can usually find something I want t owatch most nights and for those nights where I can't, there's UKNOVA. We're currently downloading XFactor and I've also got a pile of Friday Night Projects downloaded which I haven't had time to watch yet.

I think my biggest problem to date is familiarity. I used to know that at no matter what time of day, I could turn on the TV and know what would be on (style wise) and that I'd recognise the faces. I miss llistening to Fern and Phil while I'm doing the housework, does that make sense. Time will sort that though.

I think I def miss UK radio more than TV. I used to listen to a combination of Radio 1 and 2 all day, most days and although Aussie radio is growing on me, it's got a limited playlist of current stuff and the ads are really irritating. Thank god for "listen again" on the BBC radio site.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:35 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to see you working away hard down in Melbourne Gill!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:58 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
Nice to see you working away hard down in Melbourne Gill!

Cheers

Ginny
lol, you've got to get your priorities right Ginny, it's cold down here
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:06 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Wednesday night on ABC is the best night for telly in my book.

Spicks and specks (Myf Warhurst would get it!), The Chaser then the hysterical Summer Heights High (see below...).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.