British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What would you do? Our Scenario...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-would-you-do-our-scenario-754033/)

KJCherokee Apr 17th 2012 4:43 am

Re: What would you do? Our Scenario......

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 9997916)
And Carling was in the Bay area - I'm not clear where this is - someone put me in the picture.

There are places in Australia where there is enough nightlife for a 40ish couple. Melbourne!!

I don't doubt that Melbourne nightlife is very good - I just don't think it's a good reason to move from the UK to Australia!

carling black label Apr 20th 2012 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Bluefish (Post 10000286)
Do you guys have any ties to Australia?

No not really, but have done a lot of soul serching these last few days, weeks even.:lol: I think its going to be another go by the look of things, but rather than spending weeks/months planning it, i think we will just do it, could be in Australia six weeks today even.......:eek::eek:

I know its the complete opposite to what rational thinking would present, but if logic says no, then we always do the complete opposite. Which will probably be the completely wrong decision, but you only get one chance on the planet to make mistakes. So we will keep making them and keep life interesting.....:thumbdown:

I think we are going to do it as an extended holiday, spend two weeks in CBD Brisbane, then two weeks in Broadbeach on the Gold Coast, then re-evaluate the job prospects, and the availability of a furnished place, if either come up negative. Then it will be a week in Sydney, then a week in Cairns, the back home to the UK for good. But if we find that there is work for the both of us, and we find a nice place to live at a reasonable cost. Then we will give it a go in six month blocks, re-evaluating our lives at the end of each tenancy. If we can put of buying a car, and taking up a long term tenancy for at least the first four to six weeks. Then we can leave at any time, as we will remain flexible. I know this will cost us around £10k, maybe more before we decide, but we will have had a great holiday, and we can finally put Australia to bed, or of we stay, well it was for the right decisions........

We might return back to the UK, with no where to live, no jobs, and half our savings gone. But thats life, you take the risks and pay the price....

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice....:thumbup::thumbsup:

quoll Apr 21st 2012 6:14 am

Take a career break if you can, rather than burning all your bridges at the same time. It's always a good idea to keep all your options open for as long as possible!

Have a nice holiday!

carling black label Apr 21st 2012 11:15 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 10017696)
Take a career break if you can, rather than burning all your bridges at the same time. It's always a good idea to keep all your options open for as long as possible!

Have a nice holiday!

Thanks....;)

katie66 Apr 22nd 2012 4:00 am

Originally Posted by carling black label (Post 10016933)
No not really, but have done a lot of soul serching these last few days, weeks even.:lol: I think its going to be another go by the look of things, but rather than spending weeks/months planning it, i think we will just do it, could be in Australia six weeks today even.......:eek::eek:

I know its the complete opposite to what rational thinking would present, but if logic says no, then we always do the complete opposite. Which will probably be the completely wrong decision, but you only get one chance on the planet to make mistakes. So we will keep making them and keep life interesting.....:thumbdown:

I think we are going to do it as an extended holiday, spend two weeks in CBD Brisbane, then two weeks in Broadbeach on the Gold Coast, then re-evaluate the job prospects, and the availability of a furnished place, if either come up negative. Then it will be a week in Sydney, then a week in Cairns, the back home to the UK for good. But if we find that there is work for the both of us, and we find a nice place to live at a reasonable cost. Then we will give it a go in six month blocks, re-evaluating our lives at the end of each tenancy. If we can put of buying a car, and taking up a long term tenancy for at least the first four to six weeks. Then we can leave at any time, as we will remain flexible. I know this will cost us around £10k, maybe more before we decide, but we will have had a great holiday, and we can finally put Australia to bed, or of we stay, well it was for the right decisions........

We might return back to the UK, with no where to live, no jobs, and half our savings gone. But thats life, you take the risks and pay the price....

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice....:thumbup::thumbsup:

We were much the same situation/no children/age as yourself life was good in UK but just wanted a change. We came out 3 years ago and just love it - brought a house outright/car etc had 2.5 years off work at home working on house/garden/travelling etc. Back in the swing of it with clubs/activities/new friends and work but love the new life - without children I think you just have to get out there and join in things that interest you, make an effort.

A visa running out is on your mind all the time, or it was ours. We brought 4 dogs over and knew we wouldn't want to put them back through the flight to the UK so leaving Australia wasn't an option - we decided to come and just thought we'd move it we didn't like an area, we up and move to another. 3 years later it's our best decision ever to come here, just love the place.

Have a good chat, research, research research and maybe give it a go.... that gut feeling is generally the right one.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

neil248 Apr 22nd 2012 5:54 am

Probably stay in the UK if life is that good.

We arrived here in 2006 and the fresh pommies coming over now appear to be more downbeat and having a harder time of it than back then.

carling black label May 28th 2012 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by neil248 (Post 10018983)
Probably stay in the UK if life is that good.

We arrived here in 2006 and the fresh pommies coming over now appear to be more downbeat and having a harder time of it than back then.

Well...............here we come, see yeh Australia Friday.....

Bluefish May 31st 2012 9:52 pm

Yay!!! A hard decision - a good result! Best of luck with the move!

alipally Jun 1st 2012 9:13 am

bloody hell!!

Hope your flight was OK!

good luck with your new life!

scrubbedexpat055 Jun 1st 2012 10:40 pm

:fingerscrossed: Good luck, hope it all works out for you.

coldbeer Jun 1st 2012 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by carling black label (Post 10086363)
Well...............here we come, see yeh Australia Friday.....

Well, good on you - let us know how you get on.