British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What would you do? Our Scenario...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-would-you-do-our-scenario-754033/)

carling black label Apr 6th 2012 9:45 am

What would you do? Our Scenario......

You have had you visa, a permanent residency visa for four and a half years. It expires in September this year. We validated for a three weeks stay in 2008, we spent six months in Australia in 2009, but returned back to the UK, mainly because we could not settle because of the area we chose and also the lack of vibrancy, we like the hustle and bustle of city living which we did not get in the Bay side area. We both missed the UK, we both missed, pubs, night life, friends, and the general easy life we have here in the UK. We rent a fully furnished luxury place here in the UK, cheap rent relative to what we earn; we can leave at a months notice and go anywhere. We both have full time jobs here in the UK, i am a nurse, and my partner is delivery driver, unskilled but loves his job. We have a good life, no kids, mid forties, no money worries, no debt; we go without nothing. We have around £28k in savings as well, so life is good. God friends, good jobs, good health touch wood.:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

When we applied for our visa in late 2006, the world seemed a different place, this forum was buzzing, and everybody seemed to want to move to Australia. The exchange rate was around £1 to $2.5 dollars, house prices were going up and up, plenty of jobs in Australia, it was a no brainer; we thought let’s give it a go. But five years on, well it seems our general perspective of the economy here in the UK and more importantly life in Australia, does not seem so rosy. We do not know whether to spend our life savings, as buying a car, making the move, living costs prior to finding work; well it will eat into a large chunk of our £28k. I know i will find work, my partner has no particular skill set, so may struggle to find work in Australia. We will give up our jobs here in the UK; our lives may never be the same again. We will leave a rental here, we are very settled.
I do not really want to return to Australia, my partner is quite keen, but not to the extent where if i say no, well we will never return. Us, our life, our relationship is far more important than Australia, than giving it another go. If we do give it another one last go, we cannot decide between Broad beach on the Gold Coast, and New Farm in Brisbane. We like to go out, eat, drink, i work at the hospital, my partner, will need to find a driving job of some kind? Rents on the Gold Coast, well for $500 bucks a week, you can get luxury, a two bedroom fully furnished place, easily. Not so in New Farm, you need to spend maybe $650 bucks a week and upwards to match what you get on the Gold Coast.:eek:

Anyone reading my tale, what are your thoughts, what would you do if you were in our position? How many expats would make the move, knowing what i have told you? Would you give it another go, or leave it knowing what life, the economy is like in Australia?;)

Thanks in advance for any replies and advice Ms CBD.
:thumbsup:

moneypenny20 Apr 6th 2012 10:00 am

Re: What would you do? Our Scenario......

If I were you, in your position at this moment in time I'd stay put and continue enjoying your lives. It's a no brainer to me, especially when your gut currently says no. Whilst your six months here isn't really long enough to determine for certain if Aus is the wrong place for you - Bayside obviously was. Why put yourselves through it and 'waste' your savings. Use them for holidays instead.

Dreamy Apr 6th 2012 10:03 am

Why would you even be garnering other people's opinions when neither of you are that fussed about coming to Australia again?

Make the most of the life you have now.

jad n rich Apr 6th 2012 10:07 am

Lots of reasons why you dont want to go:unsure:.

Is the only reason you are considering it again?, the visa expiry and your ages making it hard to apply again.

To me it doesnt sound like australia would give you the buzz/variety you need. Even if you moved to sydney or melb, they are still quite limited compared to europe.

IF you were saying I love parks, beaches, bbq and am happy to do that weekend after weekend.... I would say go for it.

Weigh up how many years you would have to live in OZ to get citizenship and is that many years of your life worth it?

carling black label Apr 6th 2012 10:08 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9991968)
If I were you, in your position at this moment in time I'd stay put and continue enjoying your lives. It's a no brainer to me, especially when your gut currently says no. Whilst your six months here isn't really long enough to determine for certain if Aus is the wrong place for you - Bayside obviously was. Why put yourselves through it and 'waste' your savings. Use them for holidays instead.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated..:)

eddie007 Apr 6th 2012 10:09 am

Dont know what the pull would be, other than its now or never....

If you are as happy and settled and secure as you appear to be, why bother?

carling black label Apr 6th 2012 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 9991971)
Why would you even be garnering other people's opinions when neither of you are that fussed about coming to Australia again?

Make the most of the life you have now.

I have read this forum for six years, i do actually value expats opinions, who better to ask, its a very diverse forum, very honest. So, we are fussed, we both like Australia, but when you are in your mid forties, well life gets tougher, its harder to get out of your bed, not like a couple in their twenties.:thumbup: Just do not want to make a bad decision, thats all, better to ask than to not ask, well thats what my teacher told me....;)

But thanks for the reply....:thumbsup:

carling black label Apr 6th 2012 10:15 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 9991981)
Is the only reason you are considering it again?, the visa expiry and your ages making it hard to apply again.

Yes....:unsure:

Thanks for you advice, much appreciated....:)

carling black label Apr 6th 2012 10:15 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9991984)
Dont know what the pull would be, other than its now or never....

If you are as happy and settled and secure as you appear to be, why bother?

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated..:thumbsup:

OakTree Apr 6th 2012 10:20 am

You're life is good, why would you risk changing that? Besides you did live here and didn't particularly like it the first time.

Good luck :)

louie Apr 6th 2012 10:52 am

From what you say, I'd stay where you are. But....

if you are not yet 45, I'd apply for another visa. Insurance for the next five years in case you change your mind.

Flip side of that is it might mean another 5 years of uncertainty, but then again as a nurse you could probably get in on an employer sponsored visa for the next 5 years anyway, so there's still another 5 years of uncertainty....

For us, it's an itch we have to scratch. So we will go a year or so before our visa expires. Main issue will almost certainly be living so far from our elderly parents, knowing that they will have limited time left and we will be so far away.

carling black label Apr 6th 2012 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Camberwell3124 (Post 9992000)
You're life is good, why would you risk changing that? Besides you did live here and didn't particularly like it the first time.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated..:thumbup::thumbup:

carling black label Apr 6th 2012 11:10 am

Originally Posted by louie (Post 9992026)
From what you say, I'd stay where you are. But....

if you are not yet 45, I'd apply for another visa. Insurance for the next five years in case you change your mind.

Both 44.........:(

Have to admit, my initial thought was to come over for six months, rent a fully furnished place, buy a car, try and get jobs etc. After the six months, we will have spent a year in total in Australia since our visa's were issued. After the six months, re-evaluate, our PR visa's will have expired by then, we will have jobs hopefully, and a tenancy agreement, so ties in Australia, if we return back to the UK after the six months, we can apply for a RRV, we may or may not be granted one, but as we have only spent a year in Australia within the five years, maybe not, but worth a try. Will have spent a large chunk of our savings, given it a second go, been an adventure, but also may;) have a RRV, so another five years to maybe give us the option to return should we feel different before we both hit 50?

Thanks for the reply:thumbsup::thumbup:

OakTree Apr 6th 2012 11:15 am

Originally Posted by carling black label (Post 9992047)
Both 44.........:(

Have to admit, my initial thought was to come over for six months, rent a fully furnished place, buy a car, try and get jobs etc. After the six months, we will have spent a year in total in Australia since our visa's were issued. After the six months, re-evaluate, our PR visa's will have expired by then, we will have jobs hopefully, and a tenancy agreement, so ties in Australia, if we return back to the UK after the six months, we can apply for a RRV, we may or may not be granted one, but as we have only spent a year in Australia within the five years, maybe not, but worth a try. Will have spent a large chunk of our savings, given it a second go, been an adventure, but also may;) have a RRV, so another five years to maybe give us the option to return should we feel different before we both hit 50?

Thanks for the reply:thumbsup::thumbup:

I think you can apply for a fresh visa even before the other one expires - at least that is what one of the agents here advised us. Let me see if I can dig out his email.

OakTree Apr 6th 2012 11:26 am

Yep you can apply again if you're eligible:)

I can confirm that you're eligible to apply for skilled migration although already holding a skilled PR visa. We would expect that it would be processed in the normal way.

Unquote