British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   What would you do? Our Scenario...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/what-would-you-do-our-scenario-754033/)

carling black label Apr 5th 2012 9:45 pm

What would you do? Our Scenario......

You have had you visa, a permanent residency visa for four and a half years. It expires in September this year. We validated for a three weeks stay in 2008, we spent six months in Australia in 2009, but returned back to the UK, mainly because we could not settle because of the area we chose and also the lack of vibrancy, we like the hustle and bustle of city living which we did not get in the Bay side area. We both missed the UK, we both missed, pubs, night life, friends, and the general easy life we have here in the UK. We rent a fully furnished luxury place here in the UK, cheap rent relative to what we earn; we can leave at a months notice and go anywhere. We both have full time jobs here in the UK, i am a nurse, and my partner is delivery driver, unskilled but loves his job. We have a good life, no kids, mid forties, no money worries, no debt; we go without nothing. We have around £28k in savings as well, so life is good. God friends, good jobs, good health touch wood.:fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

When we applied for our visa in late 2006, the world seemed a different place, this forum was buzzing, and everybody seemed to want to move to Australia. The exchange rate was around £1 to $2.5 dollars, house prices were going up and up, plenty of jobs in Australia, it was a no brainer; we thought let’s give it a go. But five years on, well it seems our general perspective of the economy here in the UK and more importantly life in Australia, does not seem so rosy. We do not know whether to spend our life savings, as buying a car, making the move, living costs prior to finding work; well it will eat into a large chunk of our £28k. I know i will find work, my partner has no particular skill set, so may struggle to find work in Australia. We will give up our jobs here in the UK; our lives may never be the same again. We will leave a rental here, we are very settled.
I do not really want to return to Australia, my partner is quite keen, but not to the extent where if i say no, well we will never return. Us, our life, our relationship is far more important than Australia, than giving it another go. If we do give it another one last go, we cannot decide between Broad beach on the Gold Coast, and New Farm in Brisbane. We like to go out, eat, drink, i work at the hospital, my partner, will need to find a driving job of some kind? Rents on the Gold Coast, well for $500 bucks a week, you can get luxury, a two bedroom fully furnished place, easily. Not so in New Farm, you need to spend maybe $650 bucks a week and upwards to match what you get on the Gold Coast.:eek:

Anyone reading my tale, what are your thoughts, what would you do if you were in our position? How many expats would make the move, knowing what i have told you? Would you give it another go, or leave it knowing what life, the economy is like in Australia?;)

Thanks in advance for any replies and advice Ms CBD.
:thumbsup:

moneypenny20 Apr 5th 2012 10:00 pm

Re: What would you do? Our Scenario......

If I were you, in your position at this moment in time I'd stay put and continue enjoying your lives. It's a no brainer to me, especially when your gut currently says no. Whilst your six months here isn't really long enough to determine for certain if Aus is the wrong place for you - Bayside obviously was. Why put yourselves through it and 'waste' your savings. Use them for holidays instead.

Dreamy Apr 5th 2012 10:03 pm

Why would you even be garnering other people's opinions when neither of you are that fussed about coming to Australia again?

Make the most of the life you have now.

jad n rich Apr 5th 2012 10:07 pm

Lots of reasons why you dont want to go:unsure:.

Is the only reason you are considering it again?, the visa expiry and your ages making it hard to apply again.

To me it doesnt sound like australia would give you the buzz/variety you need. Even if you moved to sydney or melb, they are still quite limited compared to europe.

IF you were saying I love parks, beaches, bbq and am happy to do that weekend after weekend.... I would say go for it.

Weigh up how many years you would have to live in OZ to get citizenship and is that many years of your life worth it?

carling black label Apr 5th 2012 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 9991968)
If I were you, in your position at this moment in time I'd stay put and continue enjoying your lives. It's a no brainer to me, especially when your gut currently says no. Whilst your six months here isn't really long enough to determine for certain if Aus is the wrong place for you - Bayside obviously was. Why put yourselves through it and 'waste' your savings. Use them for holidays instead.

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated..:)

eddie007 Apr 5th 2012 10:09 pm

Dont know what the pull would be, other than its now or never....

If you are as happy and settled and secure as you appear to be, why bother?

carling black label Apr 5th 2012 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 9991971)
Why would you even be garnering other people's opinions when neither of you are that fussed about coming to Australia again?

Make the most of the life you have now.

I have read this forum for six years, i do actually value expats opinions, who better to ask, its a very diverse forum, very honest. So, we are fussed, we both like Australia, but when you are in your mid forties, well life gets tougher, its harder to get out of your bed, not like a couple in their twenties.:thumbup: Just do not want to make a bad decision, thats all, better to ask than to not ask, well thats what my teacher told me....;)

But thanks for the reply....:thumbsup:

carling black label Apr 5th 2012 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 9991981)
Is the only reason you are considering it again?, the visa expiry and your ages making it hard to apply again.

Yes....:unsure:

Thanks for you advice, much appreciated....:)

carling black label Apr 5th 2012 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 9991984)
Dont know what the pull would be, other than its now or never....

If you are as happy and settled and secure as you appear to be, why bother?

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated..:thumbsup:

OakTree Apr 5th 2012 10:20 pm

You're life is good, why would you risk changing that? Besides you did live here and didn't particularly like it the first time.

Good luck :)

louie Apr 5th 2012 10:52 pm

From what you say, I'd stay where you are. But....

if you are not yet 45, I'd apply for another visa. Insurance for the next five years in case you change your mind.

Flip side of that is it might mean another 5 years of uncertainty, but then again as a nurse you could probably get in on an employer sponsored visa for the next 5 years anyway, so there's still another 5 years of uncertainty....

For us, it's an itch we have to scratch. So we will go a year or so before our visa expires. Main issue will almost certainly be living so far from our elderly parents, knowing that they will have limited time left and we will be so far away.

carling black label Apr 5th 2012 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Camberwell3124 (Post 9992000)
You're life is good, why would you risk changing that? Besides you did live here and didn't particularly like it the first time.

Good luck :)

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated..:thumbup::thumbup:

carling black label Apr 5th 2012 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by louie (Post 9992026)
From what you say, I'd stay where you are. But....

if you are not yet 45, I'd apply for another visa. Insurance for the next five years in case you change your mind.

Both 44.........:(

Have to admit, my initial thought was to come over for six months, rent a fully furnished place, buy a car, try and get jobs etc. After the six months, we will have spent a year in total in Australia since our visa's were issued. After the six months, re-evaluate, our PR visa's will have expired by then, we will have jobs hopefully, and a tenancy agreement, so ties in Australia, if we return back to the UK after the six months, we can apply for a RRV, we may or may not be granted one, but as we have only spent a year in Australia within the five years, maybe not, but worth a try. Will have spent a large chunk of our savings, given it a second go, been an adventure, but also may;) have a RRV, so another five years to maybe give us the option to return should we feel different before we both hit 50?

Thanks for the reply:thumbsup::thumbup:

OakTree Apr 5th 2012 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by carling black label (Post 9992047)
Both 44.........:(

Have to admit, my initial thought was to come over for six months, rent a fully furnished place, buy a car, try and get jobs etc. After the six months, we will have spent a year in total in Australia since our visa's were issued. After the six months, re-evaluate, our PR visa's will have expired by then, we will have jobs hopefully, and a tenancy agreement, so ties in Australia, if we return back to the UK after the six months, we can apply for a RRV, we may or may not be granted one, but as we have only spent a year in Australia within the five years, maybe not, but worth a try. Will have spent a large chunk of our savings, given it a second go, been an adventure, but also may;) have a RRV, so another five years to maybe give us the option to return should we feel different before we both hit 50?

Thanks for the reply:thumbsup::thumbup:

I think you can apply for a fresh visa even before the other one expires - at least that is what one of the agents here advised us. Let me see if I can dig out his email.

OakTree Apr 5th 2012 11:26 pm

Yep you can apply again if you're eligible:)

I can confirm that you're eligible to apply for skilled migration although already holding a skilled PR visa. We would expect that it would be processed in the normal way.

Unquote

louie Apr 5th 2012 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by carling black label (Post 9992047)
have a RRV, so another five years to maybe give us the option to return should we feel different before we both hit 50?

This change must have passed you by - "the Australian Government announced that the validity period for Resident Return Visas will be reduced from five years to one year where the applicant has not lived in Australia for more than two of the last five years. This change took effect on 15 February 2012.".

If you are going to do anything with a view to "extending" your visa, I think you'd do better, as you have the funds, to start again from scratch and get a 5 year visa, validate it and then see how you feel after a validation trip.

carling black label Apr 6th 2012 12:36 am

Originally Posted by louie (Post 9992083)
This change must have passed you by - "the Australian Government announced that the validity period for Resident Return Visas will be reduced from five years to one year where the applicant has not lived in Australia for more than two of the last five years. This change took effect on 15 February 2012.".

If you are going to do anything with a view to "extending" your visa, I think you'd do better, as you have the funds, to start again from scratch and get a 5 year visa, validate it and then see how you feel after a validation trip.

Now that is a game changer, thankyou so so so much, you might have just saved me alot of money, circa £20k; if i had decided just to return to Australia so to gain a RRV for another five years validity....................:thumbup::thumbup::

This site is so so valuable...................:eek::eek:

Turban Explorer Apr 6th 2012 10:07 am

Are you sure you're not thinking about moving back to Oz because the visa is the driver? We're the same - had enough of Oz at least 2 years ago (been here nearly 5 now) but have stuck it out as it felt like we should have something tangible for our time here. We'll be in your shoes in a few years I expect - I don't think either of us will want to come back but chucking away the visa is difficult to do.

Dreamy Apr 6th 2012 10:16 am

Originally Posted by carling black label (Post 9991989)
I have read this forum for six years, i do actually value expats opinions, who better to ask, its a very diverse forum, very honest. So, we are fussed, we both like Australia, but when you are in your mid forties, well life gets tougher, its harder to get out of your bed, not like a couple in their twenties.:thumbup: Just do not want to make a bad decision, thats all, better to ask than to not ask, well thats what my teacher told me....;)

But thanks for the reply....:thumbsup:

I hope I didn't come across as dismissive. (I probably did, reading it back)

I think that if neither of you has full faith in the success of a move then it probably won't be successful. I can understand the worry that the time is ticking away on your visa and you may not have another chance - but if you have a great life in the UK and you aren't wholeheartedly invested in moving, then stay put :)

quoll Apr 6th 2012 6:30 pm

If it aint broke, dont fix it!

Nothing magical about living in Australia and the older you get the harder it is to get settled back in it. I wouldnt bother in your situation - not unless you got a fabulous job opportunity, better than what you both have at the moment, not to be missed.

coldbeer Apr 6th 2012 8:05 pm

Given everything you've said, stay where you are. Aus is a great place but tough to bring pounds over at the moment and tougher if you have less working life left. We came over in 40's no kids, good savings and both with a good income but to be honest I'm not sure that at our age we'll ever have the same kind of friends here we have in the UK, or be materially as well off (and by good income I mean a lot more than average for both of us).

The weakness of the pound is an absoute killer, and the older you are the harder it is to recover. As someone said above, its up to you, not a forum but really given what you've said stay.

Dorothy Apr 7th 2012 11:56 am

Stay where you are. You seem to have a good life where you live now, so why change it? You can come to Australia on tourist visas for holidays whenever you like if you need a fix. But in the long term, if it was me, I would stay. :)

carling black label Apr 8th 2012 12:39 am

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer (Post 9992807)
Are you sure you're not thinking about moving back to Oz because the visa is the driver? We're the same - had enough of Oz at least 2 years ago (been here nearly 5 now) but have stuck it out as it felt like we should have something tangible for our time here. We'll be in your shoes in a few years I expect - I don't think either of us will want to come back but chucking away the visa is difficult to do.

Yep, losing the visa is a big driver, having the option to live as a resident within Australia for life, having that option while in the UK for a five year period, does allow an opt out clause should circumstances change. Which in life they do, especially as we all get older and illness hits......To lose this option would be a loss to us..

We do want to come back, its just at the moment is not a good time, and we do not have much time to play with...:(

But thanks for you reply, much appreciated..:thumbsup::thumbup:

carling black label Apr 8th 2012 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 9992815)
I hope I didn't come across as dismissive. (I probably did, reading it back)

I think that if neither of you has full faith in the success of a move then it probably won't be successful. I can understand the worry that the time is ticking away on your visa and you may not have another chance - but if you have a great life in the UK and you aren't wholeheartedly invested in moving, then stay put :)

No you did not...;)

Thanks for you reply, much appreciated:thumbup:

carling black label Apr 8th 2012 12:43 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 9993142)
If it aint broke, dont fix it!

Nothing magical about living in Australia and the older you get the harder it is to get settled back in it. I wouldnt bother in your situation - not unless you got a fabulous job opportunity, better than what you both have at the moment, not to be missed.

Age is a big thing, but we both do like Australia alot.:)

Thanks for you reply, much appreciated:thumbsup:

carling black label Apr 8th 2012 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 9994190)
Stay where you are. You seem to have a good life where you live now, so why change it? You can come to Australia on tourist visas for holidays whenever you like if you need a fix. But in the long term, if it was me, I would stay. :)

Thanks for you reply, much appreciated:);)

carling black label Apr 8th 2012 12:46 am

Originally Posted by coldbeer (Post 9993246)
Given everything you've said, stay where you are. Aus is a great place but tough to bring pounds over at the moment and tougher if you have less working life left. We came over in 40's no kids, good savings and both with a good income but to be honest I'm not sure that at our age we'll ever have the same kind of friends here we have in the UK, or be materially as well off (and by good income I mean a lot more than average for both of us).

The weakness of the pound is an absoute killer, and the older you are the harder it is to recover. As someone said above, its up to you, not a forum but really given what you've said stay.

Ummmmmmmmm, it's tough, sitting here on Easter Sunday, grey skies, cold, alot of struggling people here in the UK at the moment, through no fault of their own.....:(

carling black label Apr 8th 2012 12:59 am

It's tough to completely dismiss the idea of returning to Australia to give it one last go....:(

When we applied for our visa, in 2006/07 i think, we decided to sell the house, not sure whether it was a good or bad decision, so rented ever since. Anyway, the equity was about £46k, so this we used to validate our visa's and make the eventual move to Australia. So all in all i guess so far we have commited about £18k to the Australian dream. Feels like we have little to show for it, as both trips seemed more business like than a holiday?:D Also so stressful at times.;)

Just cannot decide whether to commit a large chunk of whats left to give it another go in Australia? Have even thought of having a three/four week holiday, one last look, if it seems a goer, then returning to the UK, giving up jobs and the rental and moving back to Australia? I think a holiday would cost circa what £6k, we would still have £22k left to make the move, or if we did not move we could make a down payment on a house here in the UK, the market is pretty flat at the mo.....

It's just the thought of living here in the UK till we both pop off our perches seems a bit too final.......If i come across as if this is just aout the money, well it is not, all the stress and emotions play a huge part, but i am just sticking to the basic fundementals of cost at the moment to use as a yardstick. Will face the real hard bits when we make the final decision.....:D

Thanks for all te comments:thumbup: Happy Easter:fingerscrossed:

quoll Apr 8th 2012 1:48 am

If you have a job you like, then dont screw around with it - take extended leave or whatever career break you can. Moving in your 40s means you dont have much time to prepare for retirement - they reckon you need a good 25 solid years of super contributions (not just the standard percentage) to get even close to something comfortable so you might well be working much longer than you think.

Going on holiday is never the same as living in a place TBH and the things that you didnt like the last time are still going to be there this time. Far better to save up your leave entitlements and pop over for long holidays if you like the place that much.

fortnum Apr 8th 2012 7:50 am

Originally Posted by carling black label (Post 9994789)
Age is a big thing, but we both do like Australia alot.:)

Do you already qualify for State Pension in the UK? The pension amount isn't much, but I guess would help with the moving/living cost in Australia. Just a random thought.

chris955 Apr 8th 2012 9:20 am

We have lived in Queensland now for best part of 12 years and grew up in Victoria and to be honest the weather hardly registers on our importance radar anymore and believe me there are lots of people struggling here in Australia, the only sector booming is mining and very few work in mining. Dont be dragged down by the media. It is natural to imagine the grass is greener. I love many aspects of life here but having grown up here i dont get sucked in by the hype ;)

Originally Posted by carling black label (Post 9994795)
Ummmmmmmmm, it's tough, sitting here on Easter Sunday, grey skies, cold, alot of struggling people here in the UK at the moment, through no fault of their own.....:(

BadgeIsBack Apr 8th 2012 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by carling black label (Post 9991956)
You have had you visa, a permanent residency visa for four and a half years. It expires in September this year. We validated for a three weeks stay in 2008, we spent six months in Australia in 2009,I do not really want to return to Australia, my partner is quite keen, but not to the extent where if i say no, well we will never return. Us, our life, our relationship is far more important than Australia, than giving it another go. If we do give it another one last go, we cannot decide between Broad beach on the Gold Coast, and New Farm in Brisbane. We like to go out, eat, drink, i work at the hospital, my partner, will need to find a driving job of some kind? Rents on the Gold Coast, well for $500 bucks a week, you can get luxury, a two bedroom fully furnished place, easily. Not so in New Farm, you need to spend maybe $650 bucks a week and upwards to match what you get on the Gold Coast.:eek:

To be honest, do you consider retiring in Australia - or what's the value of citizenship which gives you the otion of living in both countries?

At some point in the last 5 years the citizenship requirement changed from 2-3? years. If it was still 2 years then you made a mistake in not staying and getting this before leaving back in 08/09 - indeed in not doing it all sooner.

You're not the first, but I am not clear what the pull is to return.

So I would stay in the UK unless you want to clock up 3 years (it may be less if 'time served' goes to the total) and really want citizenship (door open for ping-pong and retirement).

If you are not sure, then you need the discipline to stick it out for 3 years - but you didn't do this last time...

bcworld Apr 8th 2012 1:34 pm

Citizenship requirement = 4 years.

BadgeIsBack Apr 8th 2012 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9995550)

Jesus....

I wouldn't bother. This makes it harder for any migrant with itchy feet to hang around or make plans for the future.

(Thanks mate.)

comet555 Apr 8th 2012 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 9995537)
At some point in the last 5 years the citizenship requirement changed from 2-3? years. If it was still 2 years then you made a mistake in not staying and getting this before leaving back in 08/09 - indeed in not doing it all sooner.

We arrived in May 2007 and I believe to qualify for citizenship under the old 2 year rule you needed to have had the visa and validated it by July 2007. Judging by the OP's posts they would have received their visa around Sept 2007, so the 4 year citizenship rule was already in effect.

It's obviously irrelevant now, I just didn't want them to feel like they missed out on a chance of getting it quickly. Citizenship was always 4 years for them.

On another note, I'm normally one to tell people if they are still keen to go then it's worth a shot. In their case though I really think that they'd be just fine if they stayed. They're settled and happy where they are and don't really seem to have any desire to move to Australia other than the fact that the visa is expiring and might want it someday. If I thought they had a burning desire to move or might regret their decision I'd probably say go for it, but in this case I'd say don't bother.

In the end though no one can make this decision for someone else. Reading the initial post made me think they'd already made the decision to stay, might just be my impression though.

Chortlepuss Apr 8th 2012 5:57 pm

We moved over when I was in early 40's - just scraped through with PR then citizenship. I'm so happy that we have the option to return if we want to, but realistically I don't think we can afford to retire here and would go home tomorrow if I knew I could get a job and my family wanted to go. I don't dislike it here, I'm just done with compromising my standard of living and the lovely weather for me doesn't compensate. Also really miss travelling which is so much easier when you are based in the UK. Personally, I think that anyone with jobs they like in the UK, and disposable income would be best advised to come over for a holiday as and when you can afford it - It's less than half the price to fly UK - Aus than the other way round!

louie Apr 8th 2012 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 9995550)

Effectively three years for the OP though because one year's absence would be disregarded.

carling black label Apr 8th 2012 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by louie (Post 9995951)
Effectively three years for the OP though because one year's absence would be disregarded.

For citizenship we would need to return and do a full four years.:thumbdown:

For a 5 year RRV we would need to return and do eighteen months.:(

For a 1 year RRV we need to return and do a few months.;)

Visa granted Sept 2007.

Visa validated July 2008. Three weeks.

Moved to Australia in 2009. Stayed for 26 weeks in total.

Visa expires Sept 2012.:thumbdown:

carling black label Apr 8th 2012 10:53 pm

Mr here......:)

My main concern is that i have no real skillset, i am a driver, so if we headed to the New Farm area, rents are circa $550.00 a week for a fully furnished place.

Would i find work in and around CBD? Taxi work maybe, driving work paying minimum wage maybe?:fingerscrossed:

Thanks for all the replies....:thumbsup:

comet555 Apr 9th 2012 3:38 am

Originally Posted by carling black label (Post 9996044)
Mr here......:)

My main concern is that i have no real skillset, i am a driver, so if we headed to the New Farm area, rents are circa $550.00 a week for a fully furnished place.

Why would you rent a fully furnished place? It'd be far cheaper to rent an unfurnished place and renting furniture through a company, or just picking up the basics at Ikea or second hand.