Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you do? Our Scenario......

What would you do? Our Scenario......

Old Apr 6th 2012, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do? Our Scenario......

Originally Posted by carling black label
have a RRV, so another five years to maybe give us the option to return should we feel different before we both hit 50?
This change must have passed you by - "the Australian Government announced that the validity period for Resident Return Visas will be reduced from five years to one year where the applicant has not lived in Australia for more than two of the last five years. This change took effect on 15 February 2012.".

If you are going to do anything with a view to "extending" your visa, I think you'd do better, as you have the funds, to start again from scratch and get a 5 year visa, validate it and then see how you feel after a validation trip.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 12:36 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by louie
This change must have passed you by - "the Australian Government announced that the validity period for Resident Return Visas will be reduced from five years to one year where the applicant has not lived in Australia for more than two of the last five years. This change took effect on 15 February 2012.".

If you are going to do anything with a view to "extending" your visa, I think you'd do better, as you have the funds, to start again from scratch and get a 5 year visa, validate it and then see how you feel after a validation trip.
Now that is a game changer, thankyou so so so much, you might have just saved me alot of money, circa £20k; if i had decided just to return to Australia so to gain a RRV for another five years validity....................:

This site is so so valuable...................
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:07 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you're not thinking about moving back to Oz because the visa is the driver? We're the same - had enough of Oz at least 2 years ago (been here nearly 5 now) but have stuck it out as it felt like we should have something tangible for our time here. We'll be in your shoes in a few years I expect - I don't think either of us will want to come back but chucking away the visa is difficult to do.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:16 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I have read this forum for six years, i do actually value expats opinions, who better to ask, its a very diverse forum, very honest. So, we are fussed, we both like Australia, but when you are in your mid forties, well life gets tougher, its harder to get out of your bed, not like a couple in their twenties. Just do not want to make a bad decision, thats all, better to ask than to not ask, well thats what my teacher told me....

But thanks for the reply....
I hope I didn't come across as dismissive. (I probably did, reading it back)

I think that if neither of you has full faith in the success of a move then it probably won't be successful. I can understand the worry that the time is ticking away on your visa and you may not have another chance - but if you have a great life in the UK and you aren't wholeheartedly invested in moving, then stay put
Old Apr 7th 2012, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If it aint broke, dont fix it!

Nothing magical about living in Australia and the older you get the harder it is to get settled back in it. I wouldnt bother in your situation - not unless you got a fabulous job opportunity, better than what you both have at the moment, not to be missed.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

coldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nicecoldbeer is just really nice

Given everything you've said, stay where you are. Aus is a great place but tough to bring pounds over at the moment and tougher if you have less working life left. We came over in 40's no kids, good savings and both with a good income but to be honest I'm not sure that at our age we'll ever have the same kind of friends here we have in the UK, or be materially as well off (and by good income I mean a lot more than average for both of us).

The weakness of the pound is an absoute killer, and the older you are the harder it is to recover. As someone said above, its up to you, not a forum but really given what you've said stay.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 11:56 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Stay where you are. You seem to have a good life where you live now, so why change it? You can come to Australia on tourist visas for holidays whenever you like if you need a fix. But in the long term, if it was me, I would stay.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:39 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Turban Explorer
Are you sure you're not thinking about moving back to Oz because the visa is the driver? We're the same - had enough of Oz at least 2 years ago (been here nearly 5 now) but have stuck it out as it felt like we should have something tangible for our time here. We'll be in your shoes in a few years I expect - I don't think either of us will want to come back but chucking away the visa is difficult to do.
Yep, losing the visa is a big driver, having the option to live as a resident within Australia for life, having that option while in the UK for a five year period, does allow an opt out clause should circumstances change. Which in life they do, especially as we all get older and illness hits......To lose this option would be a loss to us..

We do want to come back, its just at the moment is not a good time, and we do not have much time to play with...

But thanks for you reply, much appreciated..
Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I hope I didn't come across as dismissive. (I probably did, reading it back)

I think that if neither of you has full faith in the success of a move then it probably won't be successful. I can understand the worry that the time is ticking away on your visa and you may not have another chance - but if you have a great life in the UK and you aren't wholeheartedly invested in moving, then stay put
No you did not...

Thanks for you reply, much appreciated
Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by quoll
If it aint broke, dont fix it!

Nothing magical about living in Australia and the older you get the harder it is to get settled back in it. I wouldnt bother in your situation - not unless you got a fabulous job opportunity, better than what you both have at the moment, not to be missed.
Age is a big thing, but we both do like Australia alot.

Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Stay where you are. You seem to have a good life where you live now, so why change it? You can come to Australia on tourist visas for holidays whenever you like if you need a fix. But in the long term, if it was me, I would stay.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:46 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by coldbeer
Given everything you've said, stay where you are. Aus is a great place but tough to bring pounds over at the moment and tougher if you have less working life left. We came over in 40's no kids, good savings and both with a good income but to be honest I'm not sure that at our age we'll ever have the same kind of friends here we have in the UK, or be materially as well off (and by good income I mean a lot more than average for both of us).

The weakness of the pound is an absoute killer, and the older you are the harder it is to recover. As someone said above, its up to you, not a forum but really given what you've said stay.
Ummmmmmmmm, it's tough, sitting here on Easter Sunday, grey skies, cold, alot of struggling people here in the UK at the moment, through no fault of their own.....

Old Apr 8th 2012, 12:59 pm
Banned

It's tough to completely dismiss the idea of returning to Australia to give it one last go....

When we applied for our visa, in 2006/07 i think, we decided to sell the house, not sure whether it was a good or bad decision, so rented ever since. Anyway, the equity was about £46k, so this we used to validate our visa's and make the eventual move to Australia. So all in all i guess so far we have commited about £18k to the Australian dream. Feels like we have little to show for it, as both trips seemed more business like than a holiday? Also so stressful at times.

Just cannot decide whether to commit a large chunk of whats left to give it another go in Australia? Have even thought of having a three/four week holiday, one last look, if it seems a goer, then returning to the UK, giving up jobs and the rental and moving back to Australia? I think a holiday would cost circa what £6k, we would still have £22k left to make the move, or if we did not move we could make a down payment on a house here in the UK, the market is pretty flat at the mo.....

It's just the thought of living here in the UK till we both pop off our perches seems a bit too final.......If i come across as if this is just aout the money, well it is not, all the stress and emotions play a huge part, but i am just sticking to the basic fundementals of cost at the moment to use as a yardstick. Will face the real hard bits when we make the final decision.....

Thanks for all te comments Happy Easter
Old Apr 8th 2012, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a job you like, then dont screw around with it - take extended leave or whatever career break you can. Moving in your 40s means you dont have much time to prepare for retirement - they reckon you need a good 25 solid years of super contributions (not just the standard percentage) to get even close to something comfortable so you might well be working much longer than you think.

Going on holiday is never the same as living in a place TBH and the things that you didnt like the last time are still going to be there this time. Far better to save up your leave entitlements and pop over for long holidays if you like the place that much.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

fortnum is an unknown quantity at this point

Age is a big thing, but we both do like Australia alot.
Do you already qualify for State Pension in the UK? The pension amount isn't much, but I guess would help with the moving/living cost in Australia. Just a random thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.