Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you do? Our Scenario......

What would you do? Our Scenario......

Old Apr 8th 2012, 9:20 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do? Our Scenario......

We have lived in Queensland now for best part of 12 years and grew up in Victoria and to be honest the weather hardly registers on our importance radar anymore and believe me there are lots of people struggling here in Australia, the only sector booming is mining and very few work in mining. Dont be dragged down by the media. It is natural to imagine the grass is greener. I love many aspects of life here but having grown up here i dont get sucked in by the hype

Originally Posted by carling black label
Ummmmmmmmm, it's tough, sitting here on Easter Sunday, grey skies, cold, alot of struggling people here in the UK at the moment, through no fault of their own.....

Thanks for you reply, much appreciated
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

You have had you visa, a permanent residency visa for four and a half years. It expires in September this year. We validated for a three weeks stay in 2008, we spent six months in Australia in 2009,I do not really want to return to Australia, my partner is quite keen, but not to the extent where if i say no, well we will never return. Us, our life, our relationship is far more important than Australia, than giving it another go. If we do give it another one last go, we cannot decide between Broad beach on the Gold Coast, and New Farm in Brisbane. We like to go out, eat, drink, i work at the hospital, my partner, will need to find a driving job of some kind? Rents on the Gold Coast, well for $500 bucks a week, you can get luxury, a two bedroom fully furnished place, easily. Not so in New Farm, you need to spend maybe $650 bucks a week and upwards to match what you get on the Gold Coast.
To be honest, do you consider retiring in Australia - or what's the value of citizenship which gives you the otion of living in both countries?

At some point in the last 5 years the citizenship requirement changed from 2-3? years. If it was still 2 years then you made a mistake in not staying and getting this before leaving back in 08/09 - indeed in not doing it all sooner.

You're not the first, but I am not clear what the pull is to return.

So I would stay in the UK unless you want to clock up 3 years (it may be less if 'time served' goes to the total) and really want citizenship (door open for ping-pong and retirement).

If you are not sure, then you need the discipline to stick it out for 3 years - but you didn't do this last time...
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Citizenship requirement = 4 years.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Jesus....

I wouldn't bother. This makes it harder for any migrant with itchy feet to hang around or make plans for the future.

(Thanks mate.)
Old Apr 9th 2012, 2:47 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
At some point in the last 5 years the citizenship requirement changed from 2-3? years. If it was still 2 years then you made a mistake in not staying and getting this before leaving back in 08/09 - indeed in not doing it all sooner.
We arrived in May 2007 and I believe to qualify for citizenship under the old 2 year rule you needed to have had the visa and validated it by July 2007. Judging by the OP's posts they would have received their visa around Sept 2007, so the 4 year citizenship rule was already in effect.

It's obviously irrelevant now, I just didn't want them to feel like they missed out on a chance of getting it quickly. Citizenship was always 4 years for them.

On another note, I'm normally one to tell people if they are still keen to go then it's worth a shot. In their case though I really think that they'd be just fine if they stayed. They're settled and happy where they are and don't really seem to have any desire to move to Australia other than the fact that the visa is expiring and might want it someday. If I thought they had a burning desire to move or might regret their decision I'd probably say go for it, but in this case I'd say don't bother.

In the end though no one can make this decision for someone else. Reading the initial post made me think they'd already made the decision to stay, might just be my impression though.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 5:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

We moved over when I was in early 40's - just scraped through with PR then citizenship. I'm so happy that we have the option to return if we want to, but realistically I don't think we can afford to retire here and would go home tomorrow if I knew I could get a job and my family wanted to go. I don't dislike it here, I'm just done with compromising my standard of living and the lovely weather for me doesn't compensate. Also really miss travelling which is so much easier when you are based in the UK. Personally, I think that anyone with jobs they like in the UK, and disposable income would be best advised to come over for a holiday as and when you can afford it - It's less than half the price to fly UK - Aus than the other way round!
Old Apr 9th 2012, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Effectively three years for the OP though because one year's absence would be disregarded.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 10:49 am
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by louie
Effectively three years for the OP though because one year's absence would be disregarded.
For citizenship we would need to return and do a full four years.

For a 5 year RRV we would need to return and do eighteen months.

For a 1 year RRV we need to return and do a few months.

Visa granted Sept 2007.

Visa validated July 2008. Three weeks.

Moved to Australia in 2009. Stayed for 26 weeks in total.

Visa expires Sept 2012.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 10:53 am
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Mr here......

My main concern is that i have no real skillset, i am a driver, so if we headed to the New Farm area, rents are circa $550.00 a week for a fully furnished place.

Would i find work in and around CBD? Taxi work maybe, driving work paying minimum wage maybe?

Thanks for all the replies....
Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:38 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Mr here......

My main concern is that i have no real skillset, i am a driver, so if we headed to the New Farm area, rents are circa $550.00 a week for a fully furnished place.
Why would you rent a fully furnished place? It'd be far cheaper to rent an unfurnished place and renting furniture through a company, or just picking up the basics at Ikea or second hand.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

For citizenship we would need to return and do a full four years.:thumbdown
No you wouldn't. Assuming you either get a new visa before your old one expires or you go back before your current visa expires, you'd need three years plus the number of days you spend abroad during the time after you returned.

If you went back to Australia and didn't leave again for three years, you would qualify exactly three years after you returned. This is because you can disregard one year of the four for citizenship. So in your case, assuming you moved in September 2012, you would count from September 2011 to September 2015 with September 2011 to September 2012 being counted as allowable absence and September 2012 to September 2015 being the necessary presence.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Depends when in 2009 you left and when you will return (if you do). Unless you return within three years of leaving, you'd have to do the full 2 years.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 1:09 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

For citizenship we would need to return and do a full four years.

For a 1 year RRV we need to return and do a few months.

Visa granted Sept 2007.

Visa validated July 2008. Three weeks.

Moved to Australia in 2009. Stayed for 26 weeks in total.

Visa expires Sept 2012.

I would pick this to the bare bones and ask yourself if you really want to live in Australia.

If the answer is yes then look to moving ASAP before your visa runs out - many of us move without jobs and get something when we arrive.

Do you want to commit to Australia, if you do then stay there so you can get your citizenship.

If you look on living in Australia as 'doing time' or whatever and it bothers you to stay there in order to meet various requirements, then I would be questioning on whether or not this is for you.

Living there should not be something you have to 'endure' in order to keep your visa. When we moved here we knew we would stay the full four years to qualify for citizenship which we do now.

It never occurred to us we would 'have to stay' certain lengths of time in order to keep our visa, we knew we were here to live.

It isnt about 'doing time', its about making a new life and if the thought of spending any amount of time here scares you or bothers you then seriously, I would stay where you are and embrace the life you do have rather than jumping into one that you clearly have reservations about.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 1:58 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

and also the lack of vibrancy, we like the hustle and bustle of city living which we did not get in the Bay side area. We both missed the UK, we both missed, pubs, night life, friends, and the general easy life we have here in the UK
After that comment I would ask what it is you think you might find in Australia that makes it worth coming over here? My personal opinion is that the great thing about Australia is the space - the night life is no better than in the UK and the pubs are definitely inferior!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
After that comment I would ask what it is you think you might find in Australia that makes it worth coming over here? My personal opinion is that the great thing about Australia is the space - the night life is no better than in the UK and the pubs are definitely inferior!
And Carling was in the Bay area - I'm not clear where this is - someone put me in the picture.

There are places in Australia where there is enough nightlife for a 40ish couple. Melbourne!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.