Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you do ????? GO OR STAY

What would you do ????? GO OR STAY

Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What would you do ????? GO OR STAY

Originally Posted by NickSuzy
Hi Everyone,

My name is Nick and i am Suzy's husband and i say lets go.

Nick
Originally Posted by suzyt
Oi get your own thread .

People can only answer with what they would do in your situation, based on their own experiences. So the ones in Australia that love it will say come on over and the one in Autralia who don't love it will say stay where you are. But it's always easy with the gift of hindsight - sadly that's something you don't get until you have lived here for a while.

This could be the best move you ever make, like it is for a lot of us that live here. Or it could turn out that you actually want to go back to the UK like others do. No-one can tell you 100% which will apply to you.

You have to decide whether or not you are the type of person that is willing to dive right in and make the best you can of it or if you're just going to sit on the sidelines and wish you had the courage to dip your toes. Some people sink, some are just buoyant and some people swim.....and some even go on to win gold

I personally think that once you have sown the seeds of it all in your mind, you have to go through with it or it will always be niggling away at you and you'll never truly be settled until you have tried it.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

If we were in your shoes I'd still go..... if they were that keen to keep your OH they should have shown their hand sooner. Of course this has stirred up the emotions, perhaps that's why they left it to the last minute as they knew it would cause some wobbles.

My advice, put it out of your mind, go to Oz and make the best of it - dont be thinking "if only we'd taken that offer" or you'll never settle.

JMHO
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyt
Well guys what would you we are due to leave this week, husband has a new job in Brisbane, all our furniture is on a boat somewhere we have given up our house and told the school that my son wont be returning after half term. Gone through all the emotions etc. And six days before we are due to go my husbands company dont want him to leave a will pay to ship everything back and pay the new company back all other cost involved etc etc. So what would you do STAY OR GO
Its a difficult one, but in my opinion for what it's worth, if you go there will be trouble, but if you stay there will be double. So they’ve just got to let you know, should you cool it or should you blow!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:21 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

If this is just one more thing that's adding to the doubt already in your mind, stay.

Otherwise, you really have to consider, is it all about money? Would you be staying for more pay and, if so, is that what's important to you? What were your original reasons for moving?

Also, if you stay for money, what message does that give the UK company? That your husband is mercenary and will not hesitate to jump ship if somebody makes him a better offer. I'm theorising a lot as I don't know your circumstances, but that might kill off his career and promotion chances with the UK company.

I certainly wouldn't bargain with the Oz company - that makes him look as if he goes to the highest bidder and, again, does nothing for his career.

Good Luck with your decision - both of you.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

If they want your oh so much take a sabatical try it and if he does not like the job return to the one in UK seems like the ball is in his court all round.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends, is it a very, very, very lot more money? If it is I think I'd grab it, especially the way the world is at the moment. Ask them for some extra holiday time as well and take four weeks of it now and bring the family to oz for a holiday. Good luck.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:40 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Deffo stay in the UK...trust me it aint no paradise here

*waits for the Melbourne jibes*

Lee
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:43 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

If the money is good, i would stay. But that's me!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:44 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Its a difficult one, but in my opinion for what it's worth, if you go there will be trouble, but if you stay there will be double. So they’ve just got to let you know, should you cool it or should you blow!
Damn, you got there first

For what it's worth I'd still go. Do you have a guarantee from the UK people that they won't make him redundant in three months time? Presumably he wasn't leaving because he hated his job, you were coming to Aus for the experience and adventure. Every time he comes home from work complaining about something you'll wish you'd come over instead of staying.

Only you can decide though.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

To all that have posted on this thread thankyou for your words of wisdom.
Just to let you all know we have made our minds up, we have decided to follow our dream and go to Brisbane. There were reasons that this whole adventure came about anyway and we would be stupid to deny ourselves the opportunity of seeing if it is really for us. You never know where these things may lead, we may love it but on the other hand we may not. We have always spoken about this in depth and Nick and i are prepared for it not to be all plain sailing but we are going to make the most it.
So onwards and upwards and good luck to you all. Suzy x
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

p.s HOORAY FOR BRISBANE
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:50 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

well, good luck to you!

personally I think it was a bit silly of you to even entertain the idea of staying.

think about it. You go to all the effort of planning the move, organising a new job, visas, costs, shipping etc. Surely you did all this for a reason?!!

Then at the last minute, your husband's company says "we don't want you to go". I wouldn't have thought that the wishes of your husband's company would have entered your mind at all when you decided to move...so I just can't work out how they would influence you at this late stage?

I can think of only two reasons why their late call might make you want to stay:
a) If your husband stayed he would get a significantly better job, with significantly more pay....enough of an increase to cancel out those reasons why you wanted to move; or
b) perhaps you/your husband weren't 100% sure about the move, and this seemed like a "way out", and it made you question your motives for the move.

Anyway - it seems like you are 100% sure now. Good luck with everything!!!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:51 pm
(^v^)

Possums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond reputePossums has a reputation beyond repute

have to laugh at all the ones telling you to go that are still in the UK what the hell do you know? agree that those that love it here will tell you to go, those that hate it will do the opposite.

Personally I believe in fate and reckon its a sign telling you you got it better where you are.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

lisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to alllisaroo is a name known to all

i think people are just giving their opinions of what they would do in op's position... granted some of them have never been, but not all of us, im one of them and i think she should go for it!!! but i think they are now anyway i say good luck anyway! you only live once and better to regret something you done than something you didnt.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi thanks to you all again, i think perhaps people dont realise also that i have been to Australia before i spent roughly eighteen months out there about 10 years ago and then had about 6 months in Byron Bay about 7 years ago, now i know that this dosent mean that i know what the country is about by any means because that was a long time ago now. Nick on the other hand has never been. My first sons father lives in Byron Bay. Our initial motives for going was fingers crossed to have a better quality of life and by that i dont mean on a monetary level, but a better environment for my children to live in. And to hopefully spend more time together doing things that family should be doing. Nick has always been very clear that as soon as this process started he was going, it was me that has had the long crying sessions about leaving family. But i do have a lot closer relationship with mine than he does. The thing was i suppose when that offer was made by Nicks present company the other day it all of a sudden made me feel like i was having to make the big discission again even though we had already made it. Do you know what i mean, the stay or go thing. Oh hope this makes sense. Suzy x

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.