Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you do ????? GO OR STAY

What would you do ????? GO OR STAY

Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all
Default What would you do ????? GO OR STAY

Well guys what would you we are due to leave this week, husband has a new job in Brisbane, all our furniture is on a boat somewhere we have given up our house and told the school that my son wont be returning after half term. Gone through all the emotions etc. And six days before we are due to go my husbands company dont want him to leave a will pay to ship everything back and pay the new company back all other cost involved etc etc. So what would you do STAY OR GO
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:38 pm

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What would you do ????? GO OR STAY

Originally Posted by suzyt
Well guys what would you we are due to leave this week, husband has a new job in Brisbane, all our furniture is on a boat somewhere we have given up our house and told the school that my son wont be returning after half term. Gone through all the emotions etc. And six days before we are due to go my husbands company dont want him to leave a will pay to ship everything back and pay the new company back all other cost involved etc etc. So what would you do STAY OR GO
GO!!!!!!!

But thats my opinion. Your bloke has a job ofer already - thats more than what we'll have if we get there.

If the company is that desperate to have your bloke stay, they will give him a job if it doesnt work out in OZ.

Thats a hell of a lot more security than anyone has at the moment.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Definately go. According to most (me included) if you don't you'll always wonder 'what if'. You could all stay and then him (God forbid) lose his job a year down the line and it will all have been for nothing. Easy for me to say as I'm quite a way down the migration process, but I'm pretty sure I would do this in your position. Just wondering why they left it so late to try to 'buy him off'?
Good luck with the decision
Lorraine
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

You decided to move to Australia for a reason.

Are your husband's company offering any incentives for him to stay? If so would this change your lifestyle to an extent that, had you had that in the first place you wouldn't have considered moving to Australia?

If the answer's yes, then stay, if the answer's no, then go.

Noone can make the decision for you (but for what it's worth, I would go!)
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

Nicholson_family is an unknown quantity at this point

Definately go.

Your husband had decided to leave and has a new job to go to. Decision made.

All his current employer is offering to do is throw cash at their own problem in order to keep him - otherwise they're got to fill his position. It's not like you'll be getting a huge cash windfall to stay, they'll just be paying the bills.

Live the dream, continue your move. As previous poster says, it sounds like they'll be open to him returning if it doesn't work out.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Go. If they appreciated him before, they should have shown it!

What happens if he returns, then in 1 month's time they make him redundant? He would then have no job and still wondering "What if?" The Oz company will certainly not be keen to reconsider him again after what they have gone through.

If you go to Oz and job is a no goer, as Cleopatra says, he could get his job back (if there is a position still!)

Whatever you decide, I hope it works out for you.

Toe Dipper
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

skoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant future

Easy,

I agree with all the above. Your in a super position which many of us good only dream of. Just think of all the reasons why you first made the decission to move.

Good luck
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

They have just got back to us again and want to also discuss giving us a lump sum to stay on top of everything else that they will pay back to the other company, but do you not think they have left this all far too late we go in six days
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

johnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to alljohnknight001 is a name known to all

Why did you want to go in the first place, also money does not make the world revolve ( i know it helps ), will you always think what if!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Will the lump sum improve your lifestyle more than moving to Australia will? There's more to life than just having money. Australia (for me anyway) gives a better way of life in more ways than just monetary - hold onto that thought.

I don't think they're being very fair leaving it until the last minute to be honest. It doesn't sound like a company that would fill me with confidence about staying with.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:16 pm
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

GO,
It sounds like he has a pretty important job and therefore will have no problem finding another if you do return and there is the other compnay that have spent time and effort on your husband why let them down?? o and dont forget
sun
sea
sand
lifestyle
freash start
sun
sea
etc etc

GO GO GO GO

Dougie
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

They have just got back to us again and want to also discuss giving us a lump sum to stay on top of everything else that they will pay back to the other company, but do you not think they have left this all far too late we go in six days
If they can't manage staffing without leaving it to the last moment and mucking up lives, it doesn't send out good vibes for business management! Sounds like they have suddenly realised that they have a problem and the only way out is to throw cash at it. This would serve their short term goals but still leave you in a mess to sort out.

Cash, even lump sums, is recognised as only having a short term benefit. Once you yet used to it, assuming you were already surviving, then it becomes the norm and you want more. (That's my experience anyway!)

If you stay then are you valuing your dreams/aspirations less than the company's short term headaches?

I would give it a go, but still leave the possibility of returning, just in case. That is my decision, but then again, what a position to be in!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Given what they have offered i would say you would have to be mad to go. Home is home at the end of the day and if it doesnt work out what then? The package in Aussie would have to be well worth it. Are Australians gonna pay big bucks? unlikely. The deal from the company without knowing the ins and outs sounds too good to let go. Big risk of course money matters what you gonna live on over there sea and sand rubbish.Be careful
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

P.S. read the thread "is there any truth in this" that may open your eyes food queues in the "lucky country" oh dear i bet the Expos dont mention this in their seminars
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh decisions decisions, this does make it hard we have spent the last few months braking our backs , crying and crying , cleaning , crying etc and for them to do this. What arses they are

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.