Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would you do?

What would you do?

Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Joey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really nice
Default What would you do?

Hi there,
I have recently applied for a working holiday visa for australia and am due to set off in July of this year. I am a 25 year old teacher at a primary school in Wales in my third year of teaching and have requested a one year leave of absence from the school but they have turned me down. Im really disappointed as I really have my heart set on going and have even booked my flight. I have been told that if I want to go I will have to hand in my notice which is a big risk although I do not have any responsibilities ie a house kids etc. I would quite like to teach in oz and i thought maybe the working holiday would give me the chance to see if i like it there.
Im sure im not the first person to find themselves in this position but im worried that if i do not go i may regret it for the rest of my life????
Thanks,
Joey09
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:09 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What would you do?

Have you stopped half way through writing your notice to post on here?
Send the school a postcard when you get there................
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

Joey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really nice

Ha ha thanks for that!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:29 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joey09
Hi there,
I have recently applied for a working holiday visa for australia and am due to set off in July of this year. I am a 25 year old teacher at a primary school in Wales in my third year of teaching and have requested a one year leave of absence from the school but they have turned me down. Im really disappointed as I really have my heart set on going and have even booked my flight. I have been told that if I want to go I will have to hand in my notice which is a big risk although I do not have any responsibilities ie a house kids etc. I would quite like to teach in oz and i thought maybe the working holiday would give me the chance to see if i like it there.
Im sure im not the first person to find themselves in this position but im worried that if i do not go i may regret it for the rest of my life????
Thanks,
Joey09
Hi

Hold fire if I where you I would not resign. Hear me out

If you are going to leave your job , why not try and go the full hog and emigrate to Australia. Then if you like it you just stay. If you resign on the whv you may not get a teaching job in Oz and even if you do you will have to leave it in 6 months on the WHV conditions. Then you would be forced to return to the UK Jobless. Unless someone sponsored you.

My advice is if your gonna pack in your life in the UK do it on more than a whv .
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi thanks for advice,
The only problem is i have already applied for the working holiday visa and dont think i can begin the migration process having applied for this (i also doubt that i can afford this!)
Also the whole point of me doing the whv is to see if i like living in oz as i have never been there before......
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:58 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for advice,
The only problem is i have already applied for the working holiday visa and dont think i can begin the migration process having applied for this (i also doubt that i can afford this!)
Also the whole point of me doing the whv is to see if i like living in oz as i have never been there before......
I see , really you just want to go dont you?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Thanks,
Joey09
Only regret what you HAVE done, personnally I would get a damn good reference then jack your job in & go travel while you can
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Zambia
I see , really you just want to go dont you?
Yeah!!!! Just hope i dont regret the decision
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Joey, you are 25 with your whole life ahead of you. Even if things don't work out and you decide Australia is not for you, it is not going to ruin your life or do any other damage to it. I know of quite a few people who did similar thing to you at about this age and none had a job lined up to go back to. They all survived to tell the tale.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your advice,
I think deep down i know its the right decision to go and just need a bit of reassurance feels like im giving up a lot but im sure it will be worth it!!!
Old Mar 4th 2009, 4:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for advice,
There is nothing to stop you applying for a PR visa while holding a WHV
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:32 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Doesn't your local authority manage the education sector in your neck of the woods? If this is the case, you could apply to them for a career break - that way you would probably be able to get another teaching job on your return without loss of service, although it may not be at the same school.

Just a thought - as most local authorities do offer career break schemes to their employees.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 5:33 pm
Outback Club Member

Paddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant futurePaddy_M has a brilliant future

You are still young and if you want to do it then just go for it.

I would suggest that you do the right thing by your current school though and provide them with the required notice and leave on good terms.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you could consider a teacher exchange? I dont know that I would be chucking in a job even as a teacher in this day and age without something to go on to. An exchange would also guarantee you a position in Aus because by the time you got approval for your qualifications and registered with a state (or all of them) that would take you quite a while and you might have trouble getting more than casual relief work. Also you can exchange with teachers in similar positions to you and swap job, home, car etc
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:32 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
Thanks,
Joey09
I think the only thing you'd regret was NOT resigning.

As P says, you can apply for PR from a WHV so there's nothing to stop you. ANother job will come along. Life's like that.

Sounds like you'll have a blast. They really need teachers out here, esp in country areas. You could have a really great time and get a heap of experience for your CV, esp heading back to the UK after that.... Adding a year's experience teaching in Aus would be a bonus, right?

Resign and go for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.