Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What would make you go back -for good!

What would make you go back -for good!

Old Jun 19th 2003, 3:43 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Originally posted by ellen1
like i posted previously joanne, i appologised for the term "failures".

it sounds like your not having a good time out there, but all what you have described is no different than my life here, except the winter temps of 22 degrees!

i am not even begining my migration process till Dec 03, i have been researching for almost a year, i hear and see nothing that makes me believe my life will be "cushy" i expect to work hard, like i do here, but i defy any one to tell me that the problems i experience here just outside the city of nottingham will be directly transfered to perth (by the way my sister in law lives in perth).

my knowledge of the things i have described in terms of crime, devience and poverty etc are from the perspective of a child protection social worker (me!) who although a professional earns a pitance! i cannot afford to live in an area of less crime, for that you have to pay for the privallage! i have done the best i can for my selff and children in this country, it is time to try somewhere else.
for evey one negative story i here about brits migrating to oz (over various lengths of time) i hear many more succssess.

i wish you the best for the future

ellen

I honestly think you can over analyse things and come to form opinions before actually having the personal experience to back them up. My advice is dont take what you read on this forum too personally, submit your application and have a go. You'll probably love Australia, as many do. Even if you only love it for 2 years and then get dissillusioned, so what? At least you will have tried.
My wife and I only ever went to Australia for a few years on a work secondment which I was asked to do by the Sydney office. We loved Australia and had a wonderful time. It was only at "crunch" time when, with 6 months to go, the Sydney office offered me a permanent position that we began thinking long and hard about staying for good versus returning to our lives in the UK, which we were more than happy with. It was during these months of deliberations that I stumbled across this forum (which I think is addictive but rarely that constructive!). On balance, and it was a marginal call, we decided to return to the UK and are very happy with our decision. I would recommend to anyone that they approach it like that - decide to go for a couple of years, do not jump to any conclusions about the permanance or otherwise of the move, see how it goes and then use the experience to drive your "emigration" decision. Most people LOVE it for a year or two, so its got to be worth a crack?
Old Jun 20th 2003, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by jopaulss
Sorry i dont agree , we researched for 10 years before we came out , i too have family who have lived here for 35 yrs . The crime here is just awful , we sit just like the UK every night there is murders , viscious murders , child abuse is very high . I have sent you a personal message on us as a family and why i dont agree with your views been spouted off on here, and saying what you think etc , we all have our views but sorry we live here we see and hear things and its not all rosy , your job will go down well here we have some very serious issues in aboriginal communities and our own communities alike , we like here and we will try to make it work and we hope other people do to
Joanne
Joanne, people describe you as a failure if you say OZ is not perfect or not for you or not as expected because it makes them feel better.

What they fear most is what you are saying is true.

If they call you a failure, in their mind its you thats at fault. That protects them from the reality that what you are saying about the Dream Country may be true.

Look at the people who have gone back or are going back, most seem to have been very successful, however there is a common thread that OZ was not enough for them.
Old Jun 20th 2003, 2:04 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
Joanne, people describe you as a failure if you say OZ is not perfect or not for you or not as expected because it makes them feel better.

If they call you a failure, in their mind its you thats at fault. That protects them from the reality that what you are saying about the Dream Country may be true.

Look at the people who have gone back or are going back, most seem to have been very successful, however there is a common thread that OZ was not enough for them.

Well done Dotty you have it right , could it be failures have to stay here as they have no money left and no choice.

Old Jun 20th 2003, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dotty

Well said.
I do not think of myself as a "failure", but I am trapped in Oz by the differences in house prices and cost of living differences. I hope Joanne that you will be wiser and not get trapped like this.
Old Jun 20th 2003, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Ellen, if you have equity from your house you will be able to afford to live in a "good" suburb here. Things may be tough at times though, for example it may take you longer than expected to find work, so be prepared. Try not to come with too many preconceived ideas and be adaptable. As I've said before some things are better, some worse and some just the same.

You never know what it's like for sure until you are living somewhere, you can do all the research, come on holiday etc and that helps, but it's not until you live day to day life that you'll know whether Australia is for you. Also, it's a big place, if one place doesn't feel right, move on if you can afford to.

Sounds like you've got a positive attitude which will help.
Best of luck

Loopy
Old Jun 20th 2003, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

ellen1 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks loopy (and others) for your support,

i have already been in touch with organisations in perth who have expresssed a lot of interest in my skills, and when i visit in november i have already lined up some visits to various projects. i suppose in some ways my skills are unviversal, there is poverty, crime and abuse worldwide. i intend to work in communities where my skills are most needed, and i am totaly aware that it will probabaly mean working in aboriginal communities, this does not faze me, indeed i look forward to the challenge! for i treat people as individuals regardless of their background, race or religion. My husband (who works with young "disengaged" people) has also got lots of interest from projects in his field too.

regards
ellen
Old Jun 20th 2003, 9:17 am
Badge

the only thing that would make me consider moving back is if I could buy a house in SW London for less than 150,000 like you used to be able to 5 years ago before the boom....

but now I have been to Australia the UK doesn't even come in to it...

badgers

Old Jun 20th 2003, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel there is a difference between people expressing interest in you and that converting to an actual permanent job. It is easy to say hypothetically "yes" to you but there is a world of difference to converting this to a contract of employment. I know agencies will take whoever enters their door on to their books because a potential vacancy may appear that may suit that person. Most agencies have far more people on their books than they could shake a stick at. I guess my point to this is be very careful with empty promises out there offering jobs. Having said that I am going out without a job and it will give it my best shot but am under no illusion as to how hard it will be. I have never had a problem finding work in UK and have had job offers coming out of my ears but I know it is going to be very very tough to break into the world of work in Adelaide. I am, however, an optimist and take some of the advice and jibes on this forum fairly seriously. I also believe that a great deal of nepotism and the old mate network type of thing goes on far more than over in the UK.

E
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 1:31 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

working in aboriginal communities, this does not faze me, indeed i look forward to the challenge! for i treat people as individuals regardless of their background, race or religion. My husband (who works with young "disengaged" people) has also got lots of interest from projects in his field too.

regards
ellen
You are in for the time of your life , order the medication now and make it strong.

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 1:51 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

i have already been in touch with organisations in perth who have expresssed a lot of interest in my skills, and when i visit in november i have already lined up some visits to various projects. i suppose in some ways my skills are unviversal, there is poverty, crime and abuse worldwide. i intend to work in communities where my skills are most needed, and i am totaly aware that it will probabaly mean working in aboriginal communities, this does not faze me, indeed i look forward to the challenge! for i treat people as individuals regardless of their background, race or religion. My husband (who works with young "disengaged" people) has also got lots of interest from projects in his field too.

regards
ellen
"Various Projects" umm

Far more shocking than anything you'll see in the gutters of London, or bowels of Glasgow. Still we all know anyone who lives in Oz is a Failure and a liar, so I must be wrong.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

not even going to rise to your challenge dotty!

it is not a compitition, back off and go and attempt to anoy someone else!

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just read though all of the posts on this subject and have to agree with Ellen1. My and I are not from fantastic areas has children but our parents got educated and moved us to nicer areas and we have done the same has our parents. I am a trainee acountant and returned to college at the age of 33. Not to get a bigger house but to afford a house in a better area. When I had children our goal eas to give them opportunity not expensive gifts, cars or a grand house. In the last 6 years my outlook on things I want have changed and our family have already begun living the simple life and enjoy family like when we were kids ourselves.

Well done Ellen1 I know it's hard returning to education , especially when you have a husband and kids.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Thank you stooly for your support!

looks like we have both proved it is never too late to get educated and change the course of our families lives.

ellen
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

stooly is an unknown quantity at this point

My thoughts exactly. Good luck with the new life, Looking forward to reading your posts.