Reload this Page >

living in adelaide

living in adelaide

Old Jun 22nd 2003, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

juan is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink living in adelaide

hi all
we are hoping to move with 2 kids to adelaide but have never been. Weve searched the net, got the brochures but have never spoke to anyone who's actually been there. Can anyone tell me what it is really like. Housing, people, area, cost of a car etc.....
any info much appreciated.
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road
Default Re: living in adelaide

Originally posted by juan
hi all
we are hoping to move with 2 kids to adelaide but have never been. Weve searched the net, got the brochures but have never spoke to anyone who's actually been there. Can anyone tell me what it is really like. Housing, people, area, cost of a car etc.....

Hi Juan
I have never been but I spoke to an old pal last week who moved out there 8 years ago.
He said he loves it and his wife and kids do also.
They miss there family back home but reckon they will never go back as there life is so much bettr now (mind you, they did live in Luton............say no more).
Loads of work ,stuff to do , the kids are doing sports and activities 6 days a week, great weather, what more do you need, get your arse over there pronto.

Jarv
Old Jun 22nd 2003, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherS is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all

Have you looked on http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/adelaidebrits/ , it's full of good information from people who live there.

Heather
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 8:19 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

hi all
Try this WWW.EVERTHINGADELAIDE.COM ............... mm
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Sindy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mr mover
Try this WWW.EVERTHINGADELAIDE.COM ............... mm
Just tried the link Mr.M and it seems they have changed it

It is now

http://www.eadelaide.com/

BIll
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 10:49 am
vidge

hi all
hi juan
myself, husband and daughter moving out to adelaide in sept, husband got a job out there. we went over there in april to get our visas stamped had great time, loved adelaide, fab beaches, hills and vineyards, lots of outdoor activities. houses still reasonable but depends where you want to live, are expensive areas. people were so friendly and helpfull. we are going in sept. if want any particular info on anything feel free to reply back. there are some good websites - will post you them as have to look them up

good luck
vidge

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough

We have been in Adelaide for 8 months now. Our reason for moving here was a inter-country company transfer for me. However my husband had to find his own job here which he did from overseas while maintaining his previous job. He's in an occupation which is on the skills shortage list for South Australia but it still took him 8 months to find a job in his field and at the same level as his exisiting job.

During that time he was working through a British employment agent in Adelaide who far from being sympathetic, kept claiming that prospective employers wanted a "South Australian candidate".

Eventually we dumped her and began applying for jobs in the newspaper and on the internet and eventually he was offered a postion in Adelaide. (In the meantime he had been offered a number of jobs in other States and we were considering having a commuter marriage).

I guess the point I am trying to make is that Adelaide is not an easy place to get a job even when your skills are in demand. The economy is not doing as well as in other States, population growth is mininmal and there is a very cliquey mentality when it comes to employing "outsiders" (even from different States).

It seems to me that new immigrants would have a better chance of employment elsewhere.

I once made the mistake of moving to a City (not Adelaide) that I had never visited and bitterly regretted it. I would really urge anyone planning to move somewhere to make the effort to visit.
FIRST.

You wouldn't even buy a house without viewing it first. So why do that very thing with the place you plan to live in for the rest of your life ? (You can move houses a lot more easily than countries or cities)

:lecture:

Last edited by Sunlover; Jun 23rd 2003 at 11:17 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:50 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sindy
Just tried the link Mr.M and it seems they have changed it

It is now

http://www.eadelaide.com/

BIll
lets try this www.eadelaide.com ....... MM