Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What will you miss about the UK?

Wikiposts

What will you miss about the UK?

Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:44 am
Merlot

Default Re: What will you miss about the UK?

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
I know Wombat has a reputation but his response to your post was not derogatory and I don't think he deserves the baiting he has received later on in the thread.

I think this thread has great potential. I think people should be allowed to state what they would miss, but also people should be allowed to say “we have that here”, without it falling into a tit for tat slanging match.

Regards
Alistair
Edit: no wonder it took a long time to write that - someone hit me over the back of the head with a fish.
I think poor Wombats reputation is that he/she rears their head when a "chunky" thread gets going. He/she has the right to defend their views in the same way as others do, sometimes the wading in with both feet then changing their post so they don't sound so, a bit naughty.

No more slanging, I promise as I am out of fish :scared:

M

Old Apr 26th 2005, 2:55 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
No more slanging, I promise as I am out of fish
Thank cod for that
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

um thanks for all your responses! I am aware of what Australia has as I have been before. I was just asking what people will miss in the UK. Not what Oz has/doesn't have. I'm not asking which place is best, just things other than friends and family that people will miss....
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:09 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pako
I was just asking what people will miss in the UK.
Mmmmm......

1) traffic jams.

2) clostrophobia. (or dictionary )

3) cold weather.

4) pessimistic attitudes.

Not much else so far.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 3:54 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by pako
um thanks for all your responses! I am aware of what Australia has as I have been before. I was just asking what people will miss in the UK. Not what Oz has/doesn't have. I'm not asking which place is best, just things other than friends and family that people will miss....
I bet you didn't realise you would stir up such emotions eh!

M

Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:08 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Stormz
But Wombat, you still haven`t said why you are so anti-britain, or where your heritage is.
Just because unlike some of the people on this forum l don't think Britain is a green and pleasant garden of eden utopia and that OZ is the hot stinking arse end of the world does'nt mean that l am anti British.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 26th 2005 at 10:12 am.

Old Apr 26th 2005, 12:18 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Just because unlike some of the people on this forum l don't think Britain is a green and pleasant garden of eden utopia and that OZ is the hot stinking arse end of the world does'nt mean that l am anti British.
I agree.

Just because i think Aussies supermarkets WHERE I LIVE are dingy doesn't make me a whinger either

FWIW i think someone should do a thread about what they actually miss now as opposed to what they think they'll miss. And see if there are any surprises.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 4:39 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
I generally agree with Wombat on this one.

The biggest concern with lying on the grass is ants, some of which are bigger here - but then again you wouldn't want to lie on an ants' nest in the UK.

Oz does have a larger variety of flora, fauna and landscapes - it has natural beauty by the bucket load.

Although Oz does not have a long western history, it is still fascinating, particularly as it is a country that has been formed by "agreement" rather than bloodshed. I think there are some interesting comparisons to be made between the formation of the Australian Commonwealth and what is currently happening in the European Union.

Australia is a large place and you can easily choose the type of weather you want.

Some Fish and Chip shops here are better than the UK, others are worse and vice versa. Wombat’s expression "many have said" just indicates that this comes down to personal taste and opinion.

I'm not sure why Wombat is coming in for such a hard time on this thread. He has only provided an opinion in response to other people's opinions. Isn't that the point of a bulletin board? I'm not sure why his parentage and lineage are relevant - does it matter if his parents are originally (say) British or Irish or German? He is only responding to other people's opinions - there's nothing anti-British in saying "it's not actually like that here, it's actually like this".

On other points, we have daffodils and snow drops in our garden, there are loads of lovely parks in Melbourne and lots of interesting architecture (yes they may be faux or neo but then so if the Bank of England and the Palace of Westminster), the snow is much better than we used to get in London (I know it is different up north) and lots of the birds make beautiful song (most notably, the magpies – it seems to be a general rule that the more beautiful the bird, the less beautiful the song).

Regards
Alistair
One of the best posts I ever read. I get annoyed with all the alarmist posts, the constant rose tints vs real (zz) just get on with it..(what I've been trying to say for years) Forget the wildlife, watch out for the traffic.

Badge

Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:34 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by Badge
One of the best posts I ever read. I get annoyed with all the alarmist posts, the constant rose tints vs real (zz) just get on with it..(what I've been trying to say for years) Forget the wildlife, watch out for the traffic.

Badge
l agree totally, l'm sick of all these snake and spider danger posts. No one has been killed by a spider bite since 1980 when anti venom was invented and only 2 people a year are killed by snake bites and in almost all these case the people either picked up the snake or tried to kill it, compare this to 1,600
people killed in car accidents in OZ each year.
The only place you are going to see a snake if you live in a city or suburban area is at the zoo and even in the bush or countryside it is very rare to come across one and even if you do it is not going to bite you unless you attack it or pick it up and even if you were bitten most people survive.
What a load of garbage in one of the previous posts about that you can't lie down in the grass in OZ without fear of been bitten by a snake or spider, your much more likely to be struck by lightning or have a tree fall on you while lying on the grass.

Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:39 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by wombat42
l agree totally, l'm sick of all these snake and spider danger posts. No one has been killed by a spider bite since 1980 when anti venom was invented and only 2 people a year are killed by snake bites and in almost all these case the people either picked up the snake or tried to kill it, compare this to 1,600
people killed in car accidents in OZ each year.
The only place you are going to see a snake if you live in a city or suburban area is at the zoo and even in the bush or countryside it is very rare to come across one and even if you do it is not going to bite you unless you attack it or pick it up and even if you were bitten most people survive.
What a load of garbage in one of the previous posts about that you can't lie down in the grass in OZ without fear of been bitten by a snake or spider, your much more likely to be struck by lightning or have a tree fall on you while lying on the grass.
Number of snakes killed by me IN THE HOUSE since arriving in Australia.....4

Number killed on the verandah or walls of house while attemting to gain entry....2. I know you aren't supposed to kill them, but it takes ages for the conservation guys to turn out to collect them, and when they are hanging from from the ceiling beams over your child's bed...well pass me the bl**dy spade !

I admit its not an everyday occurence, especially in the burbs, but it does happen
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:42 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I have dived with sharks (little ones) but I guess I didn't look tasty. Other than that I haven't seen any dangerous animals outside the zoo or off the roads.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:44 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

We had two snakes in one year (brown snakes.... VERY poisonous). One in the house and one in the shed. They were just looking for someplace cool. Nothing got bitten. They will only bite when feel threatened. This is in Beckenham Perth... quite an old suburb and well within city limits.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:45 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Number of snakes killed by me IN THE HOUSE since arriving in Australia.....4

Number killed on the verandah or walls of house while attemting to gain entry....2. I know you aren't supposed to kill them, but it takes ages for the conservation guys to turn out to collect them, and when they are hanging from from the ceiling beams over your child's bed...well pass me the bl**dy spade !

I admit its not an everyday occurence, especially in the burbs, but it does happen
Where exactly do you live ? I've not had one in the house, or even the garden that i'm aware of, in my 15 years here.

Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:49 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Where exactly do you live ? I've not had one in the house, or even the garden that i'm aware of, in my 15 years here.
Most were in Darwin, though one or two were in Queensland - Gold Coast and
Bundaberg. I don't even worry about the ones I've seen the garden - too numerous to mention..and yes...even in SEQ
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:51 pm
Absinthe Minded

Perhaps its just me....I must be unlucky..I've also had 2 very close encounters with lightening ( which also always gets mentioned whenever wombat refers to the likelyhood of being eaten by a shark) but thats a whole different story....last one was amonth ago, driving down the Bruce Highway...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.