Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

What will you miss about the UK?

Wikiposts

What will you miss about the UK?

Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice
Question What will you miss about the UK?

A lot of people on this forum can't wait to leave the UK for many different reasons. I love my country and am proud to be British. Yes I know its far from perfect but to me there are so many things about being British that I love. Apart from missing my friends and family I will miss so many things. I will miss beautiful old architecture, old phone boxes (not many left i know!), pillar boxes, the London parks, such a wide variety of trees, especially in autumn when everything is so beautiful. I will miss stately homes, foxes and squirrals, I'll miss hearing our local owls at night and blacks birds in the morning. Am I the only one who likes the UK? Will anyone else miss anything?
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:09 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will you miss about the UK?

I will miss my drive across the North Yorkshire moors five days a week. That beautiful drive almost makes up for the fact that half of the journey is taking me to work ....
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:21 am
Merlot

Family & friends who have known me forever Family gatherings, Birthdays and Christmas. Everything else I can live without but here goes.

Long summer nights
Being able to lie in the grass without fear of spiders or snakes
Natural beauty and nature
History
Weather I can walk in without collapse
The Lake District
Fish & chips from the local chippy

M

Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:23 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
I will miss my drive across the North Yorkshire moors five days a week. That beautiful drive almost makes up for the fact that half of the journey is taking me to work ....

I will miss waking up in the morning , opening the window and breathing in all those exhaust fumes.

I will miss those rain filled weekends.

I will miss those 5 hour drives to the seaside..
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pako
A lot of people on this forum can't wait to leave the UK for many different reasons. I love my country and am proud to be British. Yes I know its far from perfect but to me there are so many things about being British that I love. Apart from missing my friends and family I will miss so many things. I will miss beautiful old architecture, old phone boxes (not many left i know!), pillar boxes, the London parks, such a wide variety of trees, especially in autumn when everything is so beautiful. I will miss stately homes, foxes and squirrals, I'll miss hearing our local owls at night and blacks birds in the morning. Am I the only one who likes the UK? Will anyone else miss anything?
Hello, no you're not the only one who likes the UK....I love it here too. If you appreciate these kinds of things in the UK you are lucky that you are going to Melbourne, where you can swap London Parks for the Botanical Gardens & Fitzroy Gardens and London architecture for beautiful victorian and edwardian architecture; swap squirrels for possums, and black birds for crows, pillar boxes for trams (old style!). There's a lot of beautiful things around in Oz!

When I first moved back to UK (from Mel) I missed my resident possums and noisy songbirds, and most of all the gum trees, but now I have 4 squirrels, robins, thrush, blackbirds, jays and magpies (and more) in my garden. I also have my own eucalytpus tree!!

BEst wishes
HP
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:26 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben wanting brisbane life
I will miss those 5 hour drives to the seaside..
Where do you live????
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:30 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Where do you live????
OK I live in Northamptonshire, I could drive to the sewer disposal outlet called Great Yarmouth but I would hardly bathe in it. 5 hours to the South West on UK. Dont get mewrong i was being Sarcastic , there's loads I will miss. I don't dislike the UK at all.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:32 am
What's happening dudes?

OK I live in Northamptonshire, I could drive to the sewer disposal outlet called Great Yarmouth but I would hardly bathe in it. 5 hours to the South West on UK. Dont get mewrong i was being Sarcastic , there's loads I will miss. I don't dislike the UK at all.
Fair enough. Not sure I would bathe in the sea anywhere off the east coast. Too bloody cold up here anyway, even in August.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:38 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Merlot

Being able to lie in the grass without fear of spiders or snakes
Natural beauty and nature
History
Weather I can walk in without collapse

Fish & chips from the local chippy

M
You can lie in the grass without the fear of snakes or spiders. How many people are bitten by snakes or spiders lying down in the grass of their back yard or their local parks in OZ, l would say almost none you would be more likely to be struck by lightning. The other day l was at the Botanic gardens in Melbourne and there were hundreds of people lying in the grass enjoying the sun, they did'nt exactly look terrified of being bitten by snakes or spiders, unless there was a paranoid Pom amongst them.

"Natural Beauty and nature" If you have ever left suburban Perth and traveled all around OZ you will see that it has alot more natural beauty and nature then the Uk.

"History" The UK has more histroy then OZ but is that really so important?

" Weather you can walk in without collapse." In summer you get a few hot days most of the year the weather is cool to mild 15-30c and perfect for outdoors. What about all the freezing cold days in The Uk where you collapse in the cold.

You can actually buy fish and chips and local chip shops in OZ, which many have said is better quality then the UK.

Last edited by wombat42; Apr 24th 2005 at 7:46 am.

Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:42 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by wombat42
You can lie in the grass without the fear of snakes or spiders. How many people are bitten by snakes or spiders lying down in the grass of their back yard or their local parks in OZ, l would say almost none you would be more likely to be struck by lightning.

"Natural Beauty and nature" If you have ever left suburban Perth and traveled all around OZ you will see that it has alot more natural beauty and nature then the Uk.

" Weather you can walk in without collapse." In summer you get a few hot days most of the year the weather is cool to mild 15-30c and perfect for outdoors. What about all the freezing cold days in The Uk where you collapse in the cold.
Wombat42 if you would like me to list the wonderful things I miss about Oz I will, these are a few things but as I said above and beyond my missing my family I can live a absolutely anywhere as I would say I am one of the rarer posters who takes each country as it comes. Took me a long while to be like this but both places have its ups and downs.

If you want to have a pop, try elsewhere as I am seriously not in the mood today for your whining.

Merlot

Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:44 am
Merlot

Sorry never been to Perth either, I have travelled a fair bit of Oz but never been to Perth.

M

Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

You can lie in the grass without the fear of snakes or spiders. How many people are bitten by snakes or spiders lying down in the grass of their back yard or their local parks in OZ, l would say almost none you would be more likely to be struck by lightning.

You can actually buy fish and chips and local chip shops in OZ, which many have said is better quality then the UK.
OK, OK, let's all concede - the wildlife is bigger/better/prettier in OZ, the fish and chips are tastier/warmer/cheaper, the grass is softer/greener/lusher and the weather is a million times better than the UK, even when it's 48 degrees in the shade for the 6th day in a row.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Apart from the obvious (family)

I imagine I will miss:-

The seasons - cold, snowy winters, golden autumn days, brief but oh so welcome summer and spring - where you have forgotten how nice fresh green leaves and daffodils can be.

I think I will miss old architecture, fields with hedges, ice cream vans that play The Entertainer and cosy winter pubs with real fires.

I will not miss the M11 and M25 and A406!

Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:49 am
Born to be wild....

:scared:
Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
OK, OK, let's all concede - the wildlife is bigger/better/prettier in OZ, the fish and chips are tastier/warmer/cheaper, the grass is softer/greener/lusher and the weather is a million times better than the UK, even when it's 48 degrees in the shade for the 6th day in a row.

Handbags ready at 40 paces!!!!!!!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:53 am
Merlot

:scared:

Handbags ready at 40 paces!!!!!!!
I think what HP is trying to say as well as myself if that both places have good and not so good, it is a matter of enjoying your life wherever you are. I think too we are entitled to list the things we love and hate.

I have lived in both countries and would live in either at anytime if that was the way it was and just get on with it.

I do get pee'd off with those who just come on stir especially when they pigeon hole you are not know the full facts of your life.

Merlot the not so sweet wine today and has NEVER been to Perth

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.